Car won't start, open hood, I flip a switch and it starts? What is it?

montana_tdi

TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Wagon-
2003 Jetta TDI GLS wagon, think it is something to do with injectors getting clogged... had VW service manager show me if I opened the hood, flipped this silver metal switch that was stuck, the car would turn over and start just fine...

I know... I am a NEWBIE... I have looked all thru the threads, did a search, looked at pics of engine, but this part is not shown... Please let me know the name of this switch so I can do some more research. I am thinking injectors are getting plugged AGAIN.. and I will have to pay 500 bucks to get them cleaned again. Yes I use additives, both for cold and summer time... Unfortunately, my style of driving is not good for diesel engine, drive 5 miles, stop etc... Thanks, Montana TDI

jobob307

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta, 2002 jolf
Is this switch right next to the fire wall? Are you talking about the "anit shudder valve"? That would be my guess and it has nothing to do with your injectors and everything to do with your driving style. It is all gummed up with carbon due to the egr cooler. Disassemble clean and should work fine.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
My guess is the same as jobob307 the ASV. Time for an intake clean probably. There is a link to the howto in my writeup below in my signature.
X3. Pretty common issue for a random no start.
And I seriously doubt your injectors are getting "clogged up", even with your horrendous driving pattern. Unless maybe you run WVO or a grease kit.

Doug Huffman

Veteran Member
Washington Island, on the other side of Death's Do
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2K3 Silver gone to new home
2003 Jetta TDI GLS wagon, think it is something to do with injectors getting clogged... had VW service manager show me if I opened the hood, flipped this silver metal switch that was stuck, the car would turn over and start just fine... and I will have to pay 500 bucks to get them cleaned again. Yes I use additives, both for cold and summer time... Unfortunately, my style of driving is not good for diesel engine, drive 5 miles, stop etc... Thanks, Montana TDI
Get thee to a guru and tell the stealership to get thee behind me you evil spirit!