Car won't start after replacing fuel filter

C_Hess

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
I have a 2012 Jetta TDI with about 201k on it. I want to preface this by saying I am in no way a "mechanically inclined" person. I know how to use tools and I am capable enough to do basic maintenance on my vehicle (oil changes, brakes, etc). I replaced my fuel filter today, nothing abnormal with that and the fuel filter housing was clean when I opened it up. Wiped it out to be safe, replaced filter and housing lid, then used VCDS to prime fuel system for about 30 seconds. Job done. A couple hours later I went to leave and my car was barely trying to crank. To be honest it sounded like it did last winter when we hit -10 F here and the fluids got too cold to start. The dash has a CEL with code P068A as well as just about every other light on (the car makes an audible 3 beeps when I click the ignition on but don't hold down to start). The dash also flashes "no key" but still tries to start. When I scanned with VCDS there were a number of faults that came up.
03 - ABS brakes
05 - Acc/Start Auth
09 - Cent Elect
25- Immobilizer
2B - Steer Col Lock
37 Navigation
47 Sound System

If any other information is needed I will do my best to try to answer, but like I said I do not regularly work on cars, I do my best to learn and take care of what I can.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like your battery is about done. You may have just drained it enough priming the filter to cause it to not start the car. And when its low the car will throw a bunch of codes. And your key battery may be tired, too.

Try charging the battery or jump starting the car. And it may be time for a new battery before winter sets in.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Definitely sounds like a weak battery. My TDI started up a number of times at -10°F without difficulty.

C_Hess

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
Definitely sounds like a weak battery. My TDI started up a number of times at -10°F without difficulty.
Will try to jump battery when I get home from work tonight. From what I read my issue with the extreme cold was the fluid had gotten too thick to get the engine going fast enough to try to turnover. I had actually tested my battery last winter when I had the issue and the battery was fine. Hopefully now it is just the battery!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Will try to jump battery when I get home from work tonight. From what I read my issue with the extreme cold was the fluid had gotten too thick to get the engine going fast enough to try to turnover. I had actually tested my battery last winter when I had the issue and the battery was fine. Hopefully now it is just the battery!
Yeah, the motor oil gets more viscous the colder it gets. Battery performance is also reduced in extreme cold. My car started fine with the exact same fluids at -10F. A weak battery isn't going to start a car well or at all at -10F. I'm not sure how you tested your battery, but most tests don't give a very full picture of battery health. Charging the battery is a good idea. Might buy you some time.

Grady

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta
Check the fluid levels in the battery cells and top off as necessary. Then give it a charge. Those "Maintenance Free" batteries still need to have water added occasionally.