Car will not turn over after alternator failed

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Hello group, you have assisted me in the past so I hope this time is no different. On my way to work the other day the battery light came on. I made it to work but when I went to go back home the battery was dead. I was able to jump it to get ti started and was on my way home it died (battery light was on the whole time). I was able to get it jumped again and drove for ~5 miles before it died again. I was close enough to my house to have someone come get me. We hooked up the battery cables to let it charge for a bit but this time it would not start. It would not even turn over. All the lights came on and then off as expected when I tried to start (even the one with the car and key went off). I then tried to lock and unlock the door with the key (security issue I had in an older VW) to see if that would do it and still nothing. No click, no nothing. I have all the lights, door locks work, headlights work, etc so I have power but starter not working. I was able to pull start it to get it started and drove it the rest of the way home. I found out I have a bad alternator so I changed that. I put the battery on a battery charger the entire time I was replacing the alternator and tested the battery and had ~ 12.5 Volts in the battery. When to try to start it and still nothing. Has anyone had this issue before? I don't think my starter is bad unless they just go without any warning. Any hep would be appreciated.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Check your fuses in the panel on top of the battery, wiring to the starter solenoid and grounds. Best guess you have an open connection to the solenoid.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The thick copper wire from your selnoid to the starter is probably burnt, it's about 2 inches long. You'll have to rebuild/replace that or get a new starter.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
What does the battery voltage drop to when turning the key to start? If it doesn't drop at all, then nothing is happening. Start with finding a diagram of the start circuit and begin looking for where you aren't getting power. With the wire burnt that Jarhead mentioned, I don't think that the start solenoid will even click since the pull in winding grounds through the motor windings and if that wire is burnt, it won't be able to find ground (or earth if you are off that persuasion).

My only problem with that is that you just had the alternator go TU so the chances of the motor wire failing at the same time are slim, but still possible, and since it's easy (and FREE!!) I would start there anyway.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Whitedog has this great "no start troubleshooting" thread. It's a great way to start.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398
It's a great starting point and there is some relevant Info there but this one goes beyond what I have gleaned from this site and put in there. Hopefully there will be resolution to this one and I'll link this thread to help consolidate things there.

That reminds me that I haven't kept up on starting problems with the CR cars there.

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Group. I finally figured it out. I was following the steps that whitedog had in the how too's for no start and I came across the issue. TDIjarhead was right. It was the braided copper wire from the solenoid to the starter. I touched it while disconnecting the wire to the solenoid to test and it turned to powder. I guess after 310,000 miles it finally gave up. Replaced the starter and all is well. Thanks for the great and fast responses.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Just one of the many advantages of living in the salt belt. Glad you sorted it out.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah. I see what I misread. I was thinking there were more issues than just a no start.

One advantage of this site is that you get help from all over the place where different issues occur. We don't have things like rust issues here but others do so they are more top of mind.

Glad we could hep.:)