Car thinks drivers door is open

Brianne5speed

TDI
Jetta
Hi guys and gals,
I have a 2006 jetta tdi which I've really had no problems with until now.
Just replaced the battery, the old one was leaking apparently. 150 later, still have the same problem.
It thinks the drivers door is open. All dome lights on. Beeping warning for door not closed though it absolutely is. Window switch was replaced a few months ago with no issues. Now the entire drivers side door controls don't work unless open a certain amount. Son and my dad pulled the fuse for the upper dome lights. But under dash lights still on. Ugh. Can't afford a huge fix so I'm hoping and praying that maybe one of you had this problem and it was not a huge cost to fix. Thank you for your time

mobilni

TDI
98 Beetle TDI, Jetta 2001 TDI, Golf 2001 GLS TDI
Hello, I don't know well 2006 but 2003 have problem with door micro switches and wires in boot what connected door electronic to main body get broken and shorting to each other or to the ground wire causing all kind of weird problems. Check boot firs, and after that door micro switches or bad cold solder joints in connection on board closed to door lock. God luck.

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
I fix that issue on the 06 Jetta often. The last one I did needed two broken wires fixed inside the boot inside which the wires run from the A pillar to the front edge of the door. I really prefer to de-pin the broken wires and install new wires so that I can do the solder/shrink tube repair inside the door skin where the wires dont bend inside the boot e very time you open or close the door. I prefer it bc if you solder wires I side the boot, they will break again prematurely right next to the stiff part of the wire that the solder creates. But by far, it is best to replace the drivers door harness with the updated version which has extended wires and boot.
Second possible cause is the door lock actuator which contain the micro switches referred to in the above post. The complete actuator is available for about 90ish dollars and is not too bad to swap out. Unless you are really talented at wiring I'd just replace the entire actuator. If you want to tackle it though, it is possible to replace the bad one of the four micro switches inside the actuator.
Because you have multiple failures, the harness is probably bad and needs repair or replacement. Then, if you still have issues, replace the door actuator.

Last edited:

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
This is the VW Genuine front left actuator I last ordered. Don't even think about using non genuine for this part:

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
You have to provide your VIN to sellers of the possible harnesses for the drivers door. There are at least 3 different ones that I know of.
One is:
There is an H, a G, and a T. The above is an
1K5-971-120-H
for the others, the last character would be the G or the T. I just tried to find the T one and it is no longer available in the US, CANADA OR EUROPE. So repair is the only option on the T.
Alternatively to providing your VIN to the seller, you could pull the door liner or card and you will find a part number tag on the harness itself.

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Here is an example of the procedure videos on replacing the door lock actuator:

billnlana

TDI
2006 5spd. sedan
If you haven't fixed it yet, the problem is in the wiring that leads from the wiring harness through the door rubber boot. There is usually a broken wire or two that needs to be soldered back together. Use a screwdriver to pop the hard cover off the metal at the door jamb and pull back the rubber boot to see the wires. You might have to use a needle nose vise grips to hold back the boot while you bare back the plastic on the broken wire to solder it. Then use liquid tape or black tape to cover the connection that you soldered. You shouldn[t have any cost involved if you own a soldering gun. and some solder. Just about under a half hour of your time. I usually have to fix mine every three or four years. Hope this helps