Car starts and dies quickly

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
After sitting overnight, a cold start will fail because it starts and dies fast unless I pump fuel. Once started, it runs fine and starts right up even if parked for hours. If I fail to start it, it will take about 3-4 tries and then it will start once pressure is built up. I suspect a bad injector at 225K. Tandem pump, fuel pump, glow plugs all are fairly new. There is no lack of power, no codes. Still gets great MPG.

Is it an injector pressure related issue? something else? vacuum leak?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Battery maybe? Overnight trickle charge might rule that out. Top off the electrolyte first.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
If it were a relay or fuel pump, why would it run and start up instantly after the engine has ran for even just 10 minutes? It seems this would indicate a pressure issue or loss of over a 8+ hr. The diesel pressure is important when starting. A bad relay or pump would ALWAYS be causing the start issue weather hot or not. When cold, after 3 tries, it starts. This seems to relate to pressure building up after sitting overnight. Am I wrong?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Try cycling the key 3-4 times before you start it in the morning. Just like you were glowing it that many times. With the in tank pump it will build pressure back in your fuel lines if they have leaked any fuel back into the tank overnight. If it starts right up then you've got an air leak in the line somewhere.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
Ok, will try it. But, normally, if there is no leak in fuel lines, when the engine is off, does fuel remain in the line or drain back into the tank? If there is a leak, would it not have a start problem at all times, cold or not?

So, this AM, activated the ignition 4 times without starting the car. The car then started on the 5th after pressure built up but with accelerator pumping. To me, the leak in the fuel line is the culprit. How difficult is it find this? How do you find it? I guess what I do not understand is why is there no starting issue after it starts and runs, can be parked for hours and start with no issue? Because the leak is so small that pressure remains in the line over many hours? While if overnight or 8hrs+, the pressure in the line is gone and the problem returns?

Last edited: