Car stalling when driving

LoopyTDI

TDI
Mk4 Alh
Hello everyone its me again i ran into an issue today where my car would completly die while driving (same as if i would turn the car off) some time it would start right away and drive fine for maybe 5 minutes and then turn off again and sometime it would crankover and not start for a good 5-10 minutes . I also have a glowplug light flashing when i was able to drive it . My vcds is at home so i am not able to scan it till later today but im looking at some possible cause to this thanks !

LoopyTDI

TDI
Mk4 Alh
Update after scanning im getting

16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P0321 - 35-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

LoopyTDI

TDI
Mk4 Alh
So i realised i have the old rectangle sensor connector and bought the newer sensor version is there a way to just swap the connector ? Or do i have to get the right one

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I don't believe there's a older or newer version of the ALH crank sensor that would also require a connector swap, so I'd wonder if someone sold you the right ALH crank sensor, or maybe gave you a cam sensor instead?

LoopyTDI

TDI
Mk4 Alh
I don't believe there's a older or newer version of the ALH crank sensor that would also require a connector swap, so I'd wonder if someone sold you the right ALH crank sensor, or maybe gave you a cam sensor instead?
Apparently there is 2 different connector but the sensor itself is the same the one on my car is more of a rectangular shape while the other one is kinda in a D shape

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Don't have direct experience with this connector, but it sounds much like the two-wire connector off the ALH injector #3.
2003 Jetta wagon came with a "D" shape connector, while other ALH models came with the square one.

Use pin-removal tool to remove the pins from one, transfer to the other (scrap yard, or at worst, a few $ from dealer) - done.

LoopyTDI

TDI
Mk4 Alh
Don't have direct experience with this connector, but it sounds much like the two-wire connector off the ALH injector #3.
2003 Jetta wagon came with a "D" shape connector, while other ALH models came with the square one.

Use pin-removal tool to remove the pins from one, transfer to the other (scrap yard, or at worst, a few $ from dealer) - done.
Yes thats exactly the same connector as the injector one

LoopyTDI

TDI
Mk4 Alh
Well i ended up doing a connector swap and slapped the new sensor in cleared the code went for a drive and no code came back i guess its fixed for now lol

LoopyTDI

TDI
Mk4 Alh
well the code came back after a full day of driving same code could anything beside the sensor that could cause this code ?

LoopyTDI

TDI
Mk4 Alh
A wiring issue between the sensor and the ECU would also cause the same code.
Is there a good way to check it without opening everything up ? Also when i pinned the new connector i could of put the wire in the wrong position is there any info anywhere for the position of these 3 wire ?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon

pipes1

TDI
06 5spd mk4 ~200xxx km
This thread popped up while searching for p0321. My 01 alh golf just died on the highway this weekend, I figured it was a clogged fuel filter based on the air in the fuel line between the filter and injectors and the fact that I was running on empty, but after a new filter I’ve got the same symptoms as you.
Did you find what that wire was actually rubbing against?

LoopyTDI

TDI
Mk4 Alh
This thread popped up while searching for p0321. My 01 alh golf just died on the highway this weekend, I figured it was a clogged fuel filter based on the air in the fuel line between the filter and injectors and the fact that I was running on empty, but after a new filter I’ve got the same symptoms as you.
Did you find what that wire was actually rubbing against?
I really dont know what it was rubbing against but where the short was is pretty much under the battery and close to the starter

pipes1

TDI
06 5spd mk4 ~200xxx km
found the issue... the female end of the connector for the crank sensor (between connector and main harness) had the brown and white wires snapped off... must have gotten way too old and brittle.

LoopyTDI

TDI
Mk4 Alh
found the issue... the female end of the connector for the crank sensor (between connector and main harness) had the brown and white wires snapped off... must have gotten way too old and brittle.
Glad to hear you found what was causing it ! Yeah the wire in these are really old