Car shuddering/shaking?

RickyBobbeh#26

TDI
2001 alh new beetle
Sorry for the story, and thanks for your patience. 2001 Alh beetle- Car shudders slightly to moderately when the clutch is engaging (almost as if the car is about to stall; started about 3 mornings ago now) and car is starting to move in just 1st or reverse, symptoms seemingly go away when warm and doesn't happen again for any other driving cycles during the day. So, failing clutch? Car started losing some oil about two ish weeks ago on the firewall side of the engine, turbo itself is nice and dry. Could not having a gasket on the egr/ bad valve cover gasket cause me to lose, 100-150ml ish? (Dead middle of the dipstick range to the bottom of it to be exact) in roughly 2-3 days, about 10-20km a day of driving town speed? Don't have access to compression tool/compressor, car also now slightly rolls coal when (occasionally) pushing the car hard to 2800/3000rpm. More of a blue smoke when steadily revving the same at idle (had to find out) wondering how much oil can potentially be lost from a bad valve cover, because I'm doubting that alone is enough to leave oil grime all over my brand new passenger c arm. I do at least already know a bad valve cover won't cause blue smoke to come out the tailpipe while under load or not

RickyBobbeh#26

TDI
2001 alh new beetle
Oh yeah, and when I drained the intercooler several days ago I had gotten something like a full litre of oil from it, though I attribute that to when my dad owned it previously, he thought it was low on oil and added roughly that much to it and then ran it for an hour on the highway (even though it was actually good on oil before adding any. I just think the old man is getting senile or something lol) car has 220000km on it now

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I don't think overfilling would necessarily result in a lot of oil in the intercooler, usually that sort of large buildup there is a sign of failing/failed turbo oil seals. Keep a VERY close watch on the engine oil level and maybe check/drain the intercooler a couple more times, because if it's still pushing that sort of oil quantity into the intake tract, you're risking a runaway by continuing to drive it.

Not trying to scare you, but this needs to be monitored closely.

RickyBobbeh#26

TDI
2001 alh new beetle
Okay gotcha, yeah just still somewhat new to turbocharged systems as this is my first car with one. This car did sit for 6 years before I bought it. If that is the case, I do have a spare turbo on my parts car only it has 427xxxkm on it (was written off in front end collision) Today I had to make an hour round trip at highway speeds to go to work. Of course, weirdly enough when backing out of my spot it didn't shudder in reverse, and barely shuddered going into 1st even though it was a colder morning than the past few. Checked the oil before I hit the highway, and it was at good levels. Didn't check the oil again until I got home but what do you know, at the exact same level. Need to make the same trip tomorrow so will be checking oil again, as well as draining the intercooler once I get home (I had just popped the bottom hose from the intercooler the first time 🤷‍♂️)

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
Intake compressor seal is possible after sitting that long. Seal dries out. Personally would not drive it as yes, run away will cost much more.