Car says "no key" until I turn off Espar heater

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I just got an Espar heater installed on my MKVI Jetta and is it ever awesome. However, now when I walk up to my car I can't just touch the handle to unlock it I have to use the button on the fob. Then when I go to start the car it says "no key". As soon as I turn the heater off though I can use the push button start and touch the handles to lock and unlock.

Any ideas why this could be happening, it doesn't seem to make any sense at all.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Do you have the D5 Air heater or the D5 coolant heater? Where is it physically mounted? It sounds like it is causing interference with the electromagnetic signaling between the car and your key fob. Perhaps it is too close to wherever the immobilizer's receiver is mounted. Can it be moved to a different place? Good Luck.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is the coolant heater, it is mounted under the front driver fender.
I am assuming from your description that your car is equipped with KESSY (Keyless Entry & Start SYstem). Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to the next question, which is: Where is the receiver for the key fob sensor located in your car? I ask this because I am also assuming that it might be easier to move this sensor than to move the coolant heater (I could be wrong about this one). It might also be possible to add some sort of shielding between the two devices.

All that said, I think your first thing to do would be to contact Espar's customer support and tell them about your issue. It is very possible that you are not the first to experience this and they might have a solution (or be working on one). Since there is no doubt that there is a cause/effect relationship between the heater and key recognition - go straight to the source.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Yes it is equipped with KESSY. Because a friend that has installed a few of these did mine not a licenses shop (and the heater is used) not too sure how much help they will be able to give me.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...not too sure how much help they will be able to give me.
There's only one way to find out. Good luck.. Hopefully someone more familiar with the Mk6 KESSY components can tell you where the key sensor is located and if there are any other mounting options.

Have Fun!

Don

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I just got an Espar heater installed on my MKVI Jetta and is it ever awesome. However, now when I walk up to my car I can't just touch the handle to unlock it I have to use the button on the fob. Then when I go to start the car it says "no key". As soon as I turn the heater off though I can use the push button start and touch the handles to lock and unlock.

Any ideas why this could be happening, it doesn't seem to make any sense at all.
I'm having the exact same issue with my car/fob only I don't have any type of coolant heater. I replaced the battery with a known good battery and I get the same thing.

There's only one way to find out. Good luck.. Hopefully someone more familiar with the Mk6 KESSY components can tell you where the key sensor is located and if there are any other mounting options.

Have Fun!

Don
Isn't the sensor located in the grid on the windshield where the rearview mirror is mounted?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
On my Passat, the KESSY system has three sensors - both front doors, and just behind the back seat. That's how it can tell which door you are standing near to know what to allow to open. Nothing in front of the firewall at all.

- Tim

Revpeach

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
If the heater is sending out a signal that gets in the way of the key's signal, try putting some aluminum foil around the heater and ground the foil. That will create a faraday cage which should block the heater's signal.