Car doesn't feel planted/wanders (loose steering feel)

vwfreak

TDI
2012 Golf MK6
Thought my issue was gone after getting my sway bar links replaced but today i've experienced some of my past symptoms I had prior to the repair.

Basically driving straight on the highway I feel the middle point of the steering "loose". I have this constant left/right wandering feel in the steering wheel, it's almost like there is free play in the steering rack or something...

I remember a member on here posting something similar to what my car does but don't know if he found his problem...

Before anyone asks, the front end was inspected at the same time as the sway bar links were replaced. Nothing is loose in my suspension components.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Has the alignment been checked?

Has the car been like this since you bought it? Are you the first owner?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Thought my issue was gone after getting my sway bar links replaced but today i've experienced some of my past symptoms I had prior to the repair.
Basically driving straight on the highway I feel the middle point of the steering "loose". I have this constant left/right wandering feel in the steering wheel, it's almost like there is free play in the steering rack or something...
I remember a member on here posting something similar to what my car does but don't know if he found his problem...
Before anyone asks, the front end was inspected at the same time as the sway bar links were replaced. Nothing is loose in my suspension components.

TODAY you experienced a problem.... has the front end been inspected TODAY?

Sorry, but I'm a bit unclear on the timeline. Regardless, get a second pair of eyes on it, including a test drive.
Also, have you scanned with VCDS? Isn't there a VCDS adaptation to set the 'on center' position?

Bill

Last edited:

vwfreak

TDI
2012 Golf MK6
TODAY you experienced a problem.... has the front end been inspected TODAY?

Sorry, but I'm a bit unclear on the timeline. Regardless, get a second pair of eyes on it, including a test drive.
Also, have you scanned with VCDS? Isn't there a VCDS adaptation to set the 'on center' position?

Bill
This issue has been coming and going, I know my explanation is vague but the last front end inspection was done 2 weeks ago when the links were changed. It was like that 6 months ago and since the links were changed, the feeling has been less prominent but still there.

I haven't got the alignment checked since i purcharsed the car brand new, I am the first owner on this car.

VCDS procedure has been checked, no codes and I tried to do adapation for the steering wheel but everything is spot on.

Here is the topic I was referingto:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=382060

It's pretty much what my car feels like, the OP of this topic explains it a bit better but it seems after reading the whole thread he hasn't found a solution either...

vwfreak

TDI
2012 Golf MK6
The last time I experienced something like the feeling you described the tire pressure was very low.
I actaully added more pressure to the tires yesterday to see if it would actually help, maybe it's placebo but it was not as prominent when I drove this morning, I should have mentioned that in my earlier post.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I had that problem with an older Jetta and Pirelli P3 (I think) tires. Turned out that the tires pulled just a bit unevenly causing the front end to track wierd. A little more air in one tire or the other might help equal things out.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I actaully added more pressure to the tires yesterday to see if it would actually help, maybe it's placebo but it was not as prominent when I drove this morning, I should have mentioned that in my earlier post.
Could you volunteer a little more info... like how much pressure was in the tires and to what pressure did you raise them to? Are you running the stock size tires and wheels?

Bill

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
vwfreak, here is my thread that chronicles some of the things I've done chasing this problem.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=382060&highlight=Wanders

I've recently installed new tires (225/45R17 Continental PureContact Ecoplus)
I've recently replaced my sway bar links.

These two things have helped, but there are still occasions where it seems to wander. I'm wondering about the subframe. I have checked the bolts and all seem to be tight.

I have Whiteline poly LCA bushings on the rear of the LCArms. I have the front LCArm poly bushings yet to install.

I have also considered the Tyrolsport subframe bolt kit, but it is rather pricey.
http://www.tyrolsport.com/volkswage...S subframe clunk repair rigid collar bolt kit

All said, the car really drives well for 136K. It just feels like there's something slightly amiss.

Last edited:

vwfreak

TDI
2012 Golf MK6
Could you volunteer a little more info... like how much pressure was in the tires and to what pressure did you raise them to? Are you running the stock size tires and wheels?

Bill
Pressure was around 36 and brought them to 40, ride is a bit harsher but less left/right correction when driving straight. I have stock el cheapo hankook 205-55-16.

**PS** I have tried something different to get some kind of diagnose. With the car parked key in ignition but car not running, I turn the steering left or right slighty and I feel like it skips. I basically hold the steering and turn the steering very slowly then it feels like it "skips", basically the feeling I get when driving straight but less notchy.

I would like if anyone could try that and report back to see if they get that notchy feel, remember the car can't run, just have the key in ignition so the column doesn't lock.

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
AHHA......had the same problem with snow tires (General Altimax Arctic studded) on long highway drives when moving the steering wheel off center there was a point of resistance and then a release, and on center I always needed to correct to the left. Took the car to the dealer everything checked out fine, they thought it might be the tires. What I can say is the snow tires are at the end of their life, and the steering seems fine. New snows coming for this next winter.....wonder if that odd feeling will return.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
I've had this type of sensation from day one with my 2014 JSW. Compared to my 2004 feeling like it was on rails at any speed, I was very disappointed.

I don't know what VW changed in the suspension, but it is noticeably less secure feeling. I had a 2009 Jetta coupe and it had less "planted"/secure feel, but not as much as my 2014.

My guess is it is either a cost saving move or a decision to make the ride softer for the American market. Or both. Either way, I am very unhappy with what had been one of my primary attractions to the VW.

vwfreak

TDI
2012 Golf MK6
Just a recap on this, I actually did a tweak with VAG Com and it helped my steering issue. Under adaptation in Steering Assist I added the value for the steering to compensate for torque steer, in the description it states (passat 3.6) It basically took care of the "wandering" feel I had and on top of that the steering feels tighter.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Just a recap on this, I actually did a tweak with VAG Com and it helped my steering issue. Under adaptation in Steering Assist I added the value for the steering to compensate for torque steer, in the description it states (passat 3.6) It basically took care of the "wandering" feel I had and on top of that the steering feels tighter.
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
I had a trusted vendor perform the steering calibration/adaptation with VCDS. All I can say is, What a difference! I got my car back! The procedure for each model varies slightly. You can search the Ross Tech web site to find the steps for your specific car.

vwfreak

TDI
2012 Golf MK6
^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
I had a trusted vendor perform the steering calibration/adaptation with VCDS. All I can say is, What a difference! I got my car back! The procedure for each model varies slightly. You can search the Ross Tech web site to find the steps for your specific car.
Yes, depending on the year of the vehicle it varies, older ones actually have a way to add values in increment to tighten the steering wheel, I only had 1 option which was that torque steer compensation.