Car died, won't start, need opinions

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
I'm sitting in a VW dealer in White Plains, NY. My TDI died on the Thruway, and got towed here. At first, the engine fault warning came on, glow plug light flashing, engine light on. Operated on reduced power until I got across the Tappan Zee, then died completely. Good thing I was in the right lane, and coasted to a stop.

They're looking at it right now, and the engine spins freely, and wants to start but won't. I'm thinking HPFP.

Any thoughts? I'm getting bored, worried and lonely. My last two tanks were Hess D2, and Mobil D2. The Hess was a reasonably high-volume local station, the Mobil at a rest stop on 95. So, it was at least 100 miles between getting the last fuel and it dying.

Thanks...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
bummer,

I'm in middletown right now, which Hess was it?

BTW any additives?

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
Hess on West Main Road, next to Staples.

I'm home now, with a rental car. Looks like it is the HPFP; waiting to hear from dealer/VWOA.

Thanks for your reply.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
bummer,

I'm in middletown right now, which Hess was it?

BTW any additives?
Very sorry to hear about the failure, quite depressing, especially since you've been running B20.:mad: In terms of lubricity, the B20 should have been better than any additive. It will be interesting to determine whether there was any contamination in your fuel. Keep us posted.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Rebel. I haven't used any additives, since I don't notice a difference. I used Stanadyne PF in my PD, because it was noticable.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BTW Rebal I've haven't had any issues with my TDI, but I do plan on stopping at cumberland RI for some Biodiesel, I've run the past two tanks on straight D2 and i just feel Icky.

BTW i'm guessing his mileage is around +54K.

Which dealer you take it to?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Did I miss something? His sig says B20-100 in relation to his 2004.

So, TDISky, you say no additves, but have you been using bio?

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I've been using bio, but no additives. Mileage is about 54k. The car's at Lash VW in White Plains, NY.

Lash told me this afternoon that they emailed VOA and are waiting for their answer.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
BTW Rebal I've haven't had any issues with my TDI, but I do plan on stopping at cumberland RI for some Biodiesel, I've run the past two tanks on straight D2 and i just feel Icky.

BTW i'm guessing his mileage is around +54K.

Which dealer you take it to?
I go to TH Malloy in Cumberland, too. Nice people. I try to add 1 qt B99 with each fill up. Now that it's getting colder it's going to be harder to pump the B99. I don't think it's available in the winter.

As I recall, TDIsky is not the only one who's had an HPFP failure and run BD. There have been failures in states with BD mandates. The use of BD doesn't make us immune to failure, sadly. Hopefully, TDIsky will get some insights into his HPFP.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You getting bio from T H Malloy? I was thinking of stopping there on my way back home to blend my current tank to around B10 or so.

Ask the dealer as to why this happened, I always love hearing what they come up with.

I imagine you've gone through the tasks that (should be) required here on this site with a HPFP failure, report to NHTSB, and report it in the HPFP failure thread, and possibly call and harrass VW two or three times asking why why why!

Last edited:

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
It hasn't been 100% confirmed an HPFP failure. I'm calling VW after work today to initiate a inquiry/complaint. I had to call the dealer yesterday and they said the information was emailed to VW and they were waiting to hear back. It's Thursday, and the car has been at the dealer since Monday afternoon. Here we go.

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
This will be interesting... please do keep us updated.

There is great debate ..... VW has lately been quick to repair..... but the debate is what will they do with slightly older, higher mileage cars? We know they told BrokenTDI in Canada 'No'.

This 09 falls right in the middle of this debate.

Extended coverage?

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, they did. I'm looking into an extended warranty; I'd like to keep the car if possible, but don't want the same thing to happen w/o coverage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well you could just ask the dealer, why you had this issue, is this a normal failure that you should expect ever 54K miles?

Is there something you should have done differently to prevent this issue?

They'll probably shrug and say, drive more and worry less :)