Car died after oil light came on…

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
I never have changed the oil plug or washer in the last 70k miles I’ve owned my car? Didn’t know this was a thing.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It is a thing. The plugs used to come with crush washers that were removable but should be re-used. Then they switched to captive solid washers. Still, it makes sense to replace it once in a while.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
This may very well be my last post here on TDI club. It's been a good ride, I learned a lot on here. I did a lot of mods to my (wife's old daily driver) wagon with what I discovered on here and made the car something I really grew to love.

That journey officially ended today.

I walked away from this situation with $4,200 in my pocket. More bitter than sweet for me but could have been much worse. In fact, it could have been better, the shop was going to give me exactly what I told them I thought it was worth: $5,000.... never tried to negotiate this down. When it came time to hand over the keys, I decided $4,200 was closer to what I would have paid for the car (before the catastrophe) and feeling bad for them a tiny bit (it is Christmas after all) I decided to spread some Carma around and volunteered a lower asking price.

In the end, this shop and all but one of many I spoke with in the last two weeks across my tri-state region, all declined to do a used ALH swap. Almost no one wanted to touch a job like this. The one shop that said they would, Jon's Auto in Marysville, OH (good people!) said they would ball park the job between $4k and $7k, worth it if this were to be my 'forever car'. The shop that did the botched oil change just didn't want to do an engine swap despite that being what I kept asking and hoping for... even offering them 2 months to complete the job. They volunteered for the buy out, with some reluctance but they wanted to make sure I felt like I had been treated fairly in this situation. I have to give them a lot of credit for that.

They also admitted, for what it's worth, that they didn't change the crush washer and drain plug when they did the oil change. Either they didn't torque the plug, or the washer failed... I don't know which... we'll never know for sure but clearly they knew they were liable.

It's a sad end to this story and I've done my share of crying over the spilt LiquiMoly at this point. I really hoped to get that car back on the road, here her spool up one more time. Maybe she will find a lower gear and climb from the ashes someday, maybe not. It's in the rear view for me now. Thank you old girl for the miles and smiles and thanks TDI Club.
Good deal and moving on is always good. At least it worked out kinda.

Problem is cars are at an all time high and what the car is worth is jow what you should have settled for. You should have settled for what it would cost to buy a replacment. Good luck with your replacment though. Hope its another TDI!
I have not had a running tdi in years now but still a member. Hope to see you post now and again moving forward.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Dis you NOT see my memorial video on crushing the car?
I kept a everything i need for a swap into whatever i want or a 944 swap but then family happened and i moved to Colorado and now i have no shop but i still have all my S and my lift and what not. that TDI AHU is sitting in a DIY crate. I sold the 944.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
OP and others, I know everyone wants the oil drain plug to be secure and not leak. (Oil Plug Replacement)

So, here, sharing the story on my formerly owned 2000 Jetta TDI (my son owns it now). It has the "original" oil plug and washer. The oil drain plug has always been quite difficult to screw out (wrenching required until it is out). If the plug did loosen and begin leaking oil, the amount would be small and show-up on the dipstick.

Anyway, below is a photo viewing the oil pan ........ basically oil free including everything in the background (photo taken at about 370k miles).

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
OP and others, I know everyone wants the oil drain plug to be secure and not leak. (Oil Plug Replacement)

So, here, sharing the story on my formerly owned 2000 Jetta TDI (my son owns it now). It has the "original" oil plug and washer. The oil drain plug has always been quite difficult to screw out (wrenching required until it is out). If the plug did loosen and begin leaking oil, the amount would be small and show-up on the dipstick.

Anyway, below is a photo viewing the oil pan ........ basically oil free including everything in the background (photo taken at about 370k miles).

Looks like mine, and I have the same resistance while unbolting it from the pan.

brandonkraemer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI 1.9L 5spd ALH VE mkIV Jetta Wagon
My drain plugs never had much resistance past a few turns out from its seated position. I could hand loosen it at least half of it’s thread depth out. I’d use a torque wrench set to proper pressure and I always changed the plug and washer.

I still can’t completely fathom how it backed itself completely out except if the shop didn’t torque it down or even fully threaded back in. I guess not everyone changes the plug, I always did based on things I’ve researched here and the fact that Kerma included it with the oil! For the piece of mind and the price of the service the shop charged, seems like a simple thing to do.

When I did changes in the past and drained from the pan it wouldn’t really lose oil until the last 1/4 of the thread depth or last 5-6 turns where it was easily turned with finger pressure, FWIW

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I just did the oil change on our 2016 Audi e-tron (1.4T in there), and in loosening the drain plug, I was met with *maybe* 10ft.lbs. of resistance. I had my Snap-on ⅜" digital torque wrench on it (but not switched on :( ) to do the loosening, so there was a reasonable amount of leverage, but still, compared to the 50+ oil changes I've done on other 30Nm drain plugs, this was nowhere close to that.

Now, this engine had maybe 2000km of usage since the last dealer oil change (bought the car used with AudiCare included), as it's our "city car" and 80+% of the driving we do on it is all-electric, so given 8x the usage, could the drain plug have worked its way loose and out?
Definitely!

Add this to the spark plugs I checked recently on a friend's 2011 Audi A4 which (again, dealer installed about a year ago) didn't even register a torque reading on the Snap-on torque wrench (well, one registered 10.2Nm when loosening; the other three didn't show anything), and my opinion of Audi service techs is not exactly exuberant.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
There are two things that grieve me when doing oil changes.

1. Overtightened plug.. It doesn't take 60 ft lbs torque. It takes a nudge. I use a right angle Makita battery powered tool that everyone says, "Why do you use a tool that has no TORQUE?" It has plenty enough for things like belly pan screws, oil pan screws, 6m x 1.0 screws, Valve cover screws. But when I'm removing a screw and my arms are shaking with the power I need to exert, MORE IS NOT BETTER! Get a torque sheet and a torque wrench of appropriate size and at least figure out how much 'too much' is.

2. Dirty parts. My other pet peeve... How can you expect a build to be top notch if everything you put back together is dirty? Dirt behind the crush washer on a oil pan bolt will keep it from sealing.

I don't think the copper or aluminum crush washers need replaced every single time. It just takes some common sense.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I need to move to USA...... I'm still battling my insurance on my '10 write-off (3 weeks now) and I'm being offered less than that as a replacement value!
F M L :cry:
Ouch. Values here are nuts. I was given more than I paid for mine. Call a lawyer