Can't Seem to Push Rear Brake Cylinder In

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I can't seem to push the rear brake cylinder to change pads. I've got the special tool to rotate the cylinder and have done it before, but it doesn't want to move. Any tips? I don't want to force anything. Thanks.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
you gotta force it, to get the fluid moving.

Did you open the master cylinder reservoir? (to prevent spillage--use a turkey baster to remove some fluid)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Try opening the rear caliper bleeder bolt first. This should allow the caliper piston to rotate in easier. Then bleed this caliper after the brakes are put on.

--Nate

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I did my rear brakes on the Golf recently. I didn't have the fancy metalnerd tool but used a "universal" tool from Lisle ($11). I used it in conjunction with a large c-clamp to provide the necessary compression force while turning the piston in with a large screwdriver thru one of the side openings. It takes a considerable amount of force.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
I have the kit from Harbor Freight to wind back the rear calipers... the tool worked great, but it did take some force and a lot of turns to get new rotors and pads on... I was exhausted.

Mel

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 96 and 97 B4Vs, & 03 A4V
VF-I just did the passat's rears and they needed A LOT of force. Make sure your brake rez cap is off (as was mentioned). and I still have your pullers...

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
It seems stupid, but I tried to do it with the caliper unattached. After bolting on, I could get the leverage. The tool couldn't fit in the space on the other side, however, so I used a thin flat plate (no nubs) with the tool to apply pressure and hit the notch in the cylinder a few times to get it to rotate and go in just a tad so that the tool would fit in the normal configuration.