Can't keep downpipe on

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
I have 3" complete exhaust from Kerma on my car.
The turbo didn't have the studs installed so I screw them in with channel locks as good as I could. The trouble is that they come loose and work themselves out and I am left with the downpipe completely off the turbo. Is there a proven method of securing these in place? The downpipe is pretty stiff with short flex section, so that doesn't help. Is there a high temp locktite/adhesive that would work on this?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Lock tight for heat....... double nut to install, then remove the nuts.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Agreed with Andy above, double nut to install studs. Spin one nut onto the stud then thread a second nut onto the stud until it makes contact with the first, then use a pair of wrenches to tighten the two nuts against each other then tighten the stud into the housing using the second nut. Once the stud if fully seated in the housing use two wrenches to break loose the nuts and spin them off the stud.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
Well, I have done the double nut thing last night, but didn't have the locktite.
Would you have a brand and number per chance available?
Thanks.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Personally I think the double-nut tightening should be fine... I wouldn't use thread locker there as it will make removing the studs almost impossible. With some time, heat and a little rust they will be almost impossible to remove all on their own, I'd hate to make it any worse in the event that you might ever have to change a stud in the future...

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
Personally I think the double-nut tightening should be fine... I wouldn't use thread locker there as it will make removing the studs almost impossible. With some time, heat and a little rust they will be almost impossible to remove all on their own, I'd hate to make it any worse in the event that you might ever have to change a stud in the future...
OK, I will try that for now. Thanks for the feedback.