Can't get the subframe off. Huge problem!!

bbaddo

TDI
Car is Skoda Superb estate 2010 2.0tdi. At first, I managed to get the subframe off easily. When I installed it back I couldn't get the steering wheel shaft back on. I tried every position until I used a hammer to gently tap the shaft back in and it worked, but I couldn't get the screw in and I realized that I hammered it too much in (or it is in the wrong position at all). I tried to pull the shaft back out but it simply won't move, I tried to use tools and force, but nothing and I just left it like that. Now I need to take the subframe off again. I removed all the bolts, but the subframe just hangs on the shaft now and won't come loose. I even tried to pull the subframe off with force and hanged on the frame, but nothing.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Can you get a small prybar in the joint above the rack shaft? How about a tapping a small chisel in where the bolt would pinch the joint shut to open it up?

1ztdi

TDI
Audi 80
Maybe using a small chisel you could tap it into the bottom of the steering shaft and so opening up the part that grips the steering rack??

Or is it not possible to remove the bolts holding the rack to the subframe and leave the rack in situ ?

bbaddo

TDI
Maybe using a small chisel you could tap it into the bottom of the steering shaft and so opening up the part that grips the steering rack??

Or is it not possible to remove the bolts holding the rack to the subframe and leave the rack in situ ?
I haven't tried this, but I already think that I am not able to get the chisel at the bottom of the steering rack.

I don't understand what you mean about this. The subframe already doesn't have any bolts holding it. It just hangs by the force of the steering shaft.

1ztdi

TDI
Audi 80
I don't understand what you mean about this. The subframe already doesn't have any bolts holding it. It just hangs by the force of the steering shaft.
I mean can you split the rack from the subframe and leave the rack hanging on the shaft whilst dropping the subframe? I can't picture what the Superb set-up is like so maybe the above procedure isn't possible?

bbaddo

TDI
I mean can you split the rack from the subframe and leave the rack hanging on the shaft whilst dropping the subframe? I can't picture what the Superb set-up is like so maybe the above procedure isn't possible?
I can't split the rack.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Let me see if I can clarify what they are saying. The universal joint that slips over the steering rack stud, the part that the bolt goes in to hold the steering column to the rack has a split end. If you tap a chisel or screwdriver into that split it should open it enough for the steering rack to drop on the ground.

If you look at the top of the stud that sticks up through the floor you will see that it is flat on one side. The steering wheel needs to rotate one turn so that flat part lines up with the corresponding flat part in that split U joint. Then the two pieces will fit together with just a bit of wiggling. Once they are together insert the bolt and tighten it. If you are pounding the rack and U joint with a hammer to reattach them you are not lining up those flat spots correctly.

Last edited:

bbaddo

TDI
Let me see if I can clarify what they are saying. The universal joint that slips over the steering rack stud, the part that the bolt goes in to hold the steering column to the rack has a split end. If you tap a chisel or screwdriver into that split it should open it enough for the steering rack to drop on the ground.

If you look at the top of the stud that sticks up through the floor you will see that it is flat on one side. The steering wheel needs to rotate one turn so that flat part lines up with the corresponding flat part in that split U joint. Then the two pieces will fit together with just a bit of wiggling. Once they are together insert the bolt and tighten it. If you are pounding the rack and U joint with a hammer to reattach them you are not lining up those flat spots correctly.
Okay, I will try the chisel but there are not much room to work.

The stud that stick through the floor has two flat sides. When I removed the frame first time I didn't move the steering wheel at all and it locked itself, but I still don't understand why it didn't want to get in.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Be careful if you unlock the steering wheel you do not want it turning uncontrollably in either direction or you will destroy your clockspring. A flat tip screwdriver or small chisel tapped into the slot should separate that joint and allow the stud to come out.

The flats on both the stud and the joint need to be aligned.