///// Cannon Ball run in a jetta tdi ?? ////

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The tp hoarding is super annoying. At some point those fools will run out of closet space I hope. It's like a stampeding herd of cattle.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The tp hoarding is super annoying. At some point those fools will run out of closet space I hope. It's like a stampeding herd of cattle.
please, i come here to get away from all this. lets not start this, it would be great if you delete this post and i will as well. like to keep things clean from , well, this virus

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
please, i come here to get away from all this. lets not start this, it would be great if you delete this post and i will as well. like to keep things clean from , well, this virus
Relax chief, you brought it up- nothing to be ashamed of. Burying our heads in the sand is just as futile as the tp hoarding. :)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
On the bright side of this, toilet paper is going to be on sale soon, as stock builds up because some won't need to buy any for the next two years.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's nuts. I wonder if a 24 hour cannonball run will ever happen.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
ESENTIAL TRAVEL ONLY
not only is everything done in cannon ball illegal, but this makes it much more so. usually we hear about these records 3 years after the fact. but coming out like this,... hope the guys who did this get the jail time and fines they deserve.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Meh. The Cannonball run has always been for outlaws. That's what makes it exciting.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't think of a better motivation to get the hell out of nyc in a hurry.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
A solution to the team of drivers, fueling, carrying food and eating it.

Methamphetamine.

Single driver can be relatively functional for about a day on that stuff. You'll not need to eat or sleep. To deal wid pee breaks, take a page from that nutty astro-nut who wrapped up a buncha depends and drove whilst peeing...:)

Spend the weight budget on fuel.
cheers,
Douglas
112 mph over the limit speeding ticket holder, May 1991, riding 1991 FZR1000

Lukepall

TDI
2002 Jetta
No good. And I just did a 3000km round trip in my GSW tdi.... Fuel economy was over 8.0 litres per 100km, these cars get pooor mileage when doing anything near 100 miles an hour, an d it will only get worse as you drive faster. I only averaged around 95 and like I said, the tank isn't big so even though 8l/100km isn't bad, it's nowhere near good enough to win on a "good fuel economy" advantage...
Fyi, that translates to just 29mpg for you Americans

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Talking about illegal activities is against the forum rules!
This thread should technically not exist here

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it's hilarious how some of the Cannonball participants had no issues with endangering the general public when they made their runs, but when some guys do it on empty roads they suddenly turn into OSHA inspectors. :D
Roads that only have the most important people like healthcare and food services and things that are most important to human life like landscaping and uber eats!

MuggyTDI

TDI
Passat NMS
Came here looking for a thread like this. Rumors are a TDI currently holds the Darien, Connecticut to Redondo Beach record. Broken earlier this year. So far no public release of information. I guess there was a shopping center where one of the Cannonball runs originated from where they started. Supposedly sub-29 hours. ??*♂

Das

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Jetta GLS TDI sold377k , 2012 black A3 TDI wagon
So the way I figure you need a car capable of approx 150 mph to run it at 105 would be 60% or the total can’t run full out for 28 hours. Tires and suspension to handle the speed and weight. Need to carry 50 plus gallons to make one stop.
So what car gets a modded 4 cyl diesel and can handle 50 gallons. I would look for a really tall gear 6 speed.

MuggyTDI

TDI
Passat NMS
B7 (NMS) Passat, tuned engine and transmission. Coilovers and sway bars. 45 gallons total capacity with a 27 gallon aux tank in the trunk. Upgraded brakes and lines, wheel stud conversion. ALP laser jammers & Uniden R7. Some visual changes to the exterior. Never went faster than 132. Needed more power West of Denver, but averaged over 100mph overall @ 25mpg. Set the record from Goodwives in Darien, CT to the Portofino Hotel and Marina in Redondo Beach, CA.

So, 4 cylinder, front wheel drive, turbo diesel making less than 200hp does have the record. Official time still withheld and waiting for statue of limitations to expire before public release.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
Not a chance. Maybe look into the record more. The factor is road conditions and traffic overall. Basically it would take a huge stroke of luck to beat the new record. If fuel economy was a big enough factor vs speed and stealth then I'm sure they would have used one.
So let it be done!

lesson learned here, you need compound turbocharging to get over the Rockies faster than 78MPH, and more fuel capacity would be of great use!