Canadian Tuner

mrBR0ster

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
Hey guys, I recently just got a Mk4 Jetta TDI and I was looking to get a tuner for it. I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows where I can order one from a Canadian seller.

Thanks Guys!

~nm

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If by "tuner" you mean hardware you mount in the vehicle to control the engine (like you would on a Cummins) it works a bit differently on a TDI.

Instead, you work with a company (the "tuner") that takes your stock firmware and upgrades it based on your equipment and performance requirements. You buy or rent a loader that connects to the OBD2 port which lets you download your stock file and then upload the file the tuner sends you.

(edit) Mark Malone is one such tuner and his company is based out of Vancouver: malonetuning.com

(not affiliated BTW... just a repeat happy customer)

Last edited:

mrBR0ster

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
If by "tuner" you mean hardware you mount in the vehicle to control the engine (like you would on a Cummins) it works a bit differently on a TDI.

Instead, you work with a company (the "tuner") that takes your stock firmware and upgrades it based on your equipment and performance requirements. You buy or rent a loader that connects to the OBD2 port which lets you download your stock file and then upload the file the tuner sends you.

Mike Malone is one such tuner and his company is based out of Vancouver: malonetuning.com

(not affiliated BTW... just a repeat happy customer)
Sick, I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks a bunch!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
With Malone, you can either buy from them the hardware that connects to your OBD port to re-program your ECU ("load your tune"), or simply rent it from them.

As in, you pay the full cost for it; they ship it to you; you get your tune done, do some logging and testing - send them your results; if necessary, they tweak things and send you revision for you to try; repeat until you're satisfied; then ship them the tuning hardware back.

They refund you cost of the tuning box minus a token "rental" fee.

mrBR0ster

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
With Malone, you can either buy from them the hardware that connects to your OBD port to re-program your ECU ("load your tune"), or simply rent it from them.

As in, you pay the full cost for it; they ship it to you; you get your tune done, do some logging and testing - send them your results; if necessary, they tweak things and send you revision for you to try; repeat until you're satisfied; then ship them the tuning hardware back.

They refund you cost of the tuning box minus a token "rental" fee.
Since its in USD do I have to pay shipping fees to ship to the US?

Beaker80

TDI
2006 Golf TDI Manual
Since its in USD do I have to pay shipping fees to ship to the US?
Have you checked out this shop. It's in Guelph and is listed on Malone's website as a dealer. Maybe they can help you so it's not as expensive i.e. no rental fee. Probably a tuner or shop fee.

EMT Tuning
7910 Hwy 7 East
Guelph Ontario
N1H-6H8

1 km east from Guelph Airport Canada
Phone: 519.826.0020

mrBR0ster

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
Have you checked out this shop. It's in Guelph and is listed on Malone's website as a dealer. Maybe they can help you so it's not as expensive i.e. no rental fee. Probably a tuner or shop fee.
EMT Tuning
7910 Hwy 7 East
Guelph Ontario
N1H-6H8
1 km east from Guelph Airport Canada
Phone: 519.826.0020
Omg I heard of that before...I just never knew it was related to Malone Tuning! (Sorry I'm all new to this) Thanks again!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Call them up or send an email (info@malonetuning.com, I think) and ask for a quote in CAD, with shipping options.
When I rented a unit, they used Canada Post (XpressPost) and I had it in less than 48hrs.
(Of course, this was in the "before" times, so nowadays... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

(Edit: Then again....there's the option posted ahead of mine, which went up as I was writing. :))

mrBR0ster

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
I wonder if they'd be able to help give her an exhaust as well. I'm looking for something cheap but great sounding as well. I was thinking on just doing a 3" turbo back exhaust but I'm not sure if anything else should be considered.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BuzzKen is located somewhere out in Ontario as well. Call them up, tell 'em what you want, see what they suggest.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
https://mufflerexpress.com/pages/contact-us

Give these people a call for an exhaust. 2 1/2" is all you need.
Less than an hour from Guelph.