Canadian EA288 owners, oil drain tool?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Good day everyone,

After calling my local VW Dealer to inquire about how much a basic oil and filter change would cost, I was told it would be $230.00. That is enough for me to continue doing my own oil changes.
My previous 2015 Infiniti Q50S, with a 3.7 motor would cost me about $109 per oil change at the dealer. It was cheaper for me to do it with them then source my own oil/filters.

I'm shocked at the high price from VW so I will need to continue doing my own oil changes.

I've realized that VW has made the oil filter drain process a bit more dirty and IDparts has a nice tool to assist in that. At a reasonable price of 24.00 for a small piece of plastic and a tube, I'm set to buy it...until I saw the excessive shipping method to Canada. $52.78 for this. Just completely absurd. How about USPS?

With that said, fellow EA288 owners, where did you source your drain tool from if you do your own oil changes? Do we have any resellers in Canada of IDparts items?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
That tool is nice, but not an absolute necessity.

I have it, and "tried" to use it correctly with the hose and the oil is too viscous to flow nicely, at least at room temp.
Lately, I just use it without the hose, and I still manage to make a mess of things. I don't think there is a super clean way to change the oil in these inverted filters.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I never make a mess. I move the wire harness out of the way, and unplug the coolant pump, and it is a straight shot down and out to drain the filter. Car does need to be sitting level, of course.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
you know how many disposable gloves you can buy for 52.78???

it is a nifty tool though.
I agree I learned a long time ago that proper tools make the job easier and less messy at times. Not saying this tool is deal but I don't want to have oil run down my sleeve or something haha

That tool is nice, but not an absolute necessity.

I have it, and "tried" to use it correctly with the hose and the oil is too viscous to flow nicely, at least at room temp.
Lately, I just use it without the hose, and I still manage to make a mess of things. I don't think there is a super clean way to change the oil in these inverted filters.
Thank you,

I never make a mess. I move the wire harness out of the way, and unplug the coolant pump, and it is a straight shot down and out to drain the filter. Car does need to be sitting level, of course.
Thanks, seems like what I will do is just buy a small funnel and attach it to a hose and just do it myself.

A mess is a mess but I was hoping to contain it into a smaller area. All good, thanks guys