Canadian Diesel Fuel Quality?

Guardian

I have been searching the forums and archives reguarding diesel fuel quality and brands. Everyone is talking about premium diesel fuel and Amoco in particular.

I live in Canada and we do not have Amoco stations here or premium diesel that I could find. I have tried Esso/Exxon fuel and found my engine ran rougher (more diesel knock).

I have also been using Amsoil Diesel Fuel Modifier and Amsoil Cetane Boost. These products have hepled reduce knock and cold start smoke with the Esso fuel.

I am currently trying Shell "Super Diesel"
I have not been able to get a cetane rating from any of the canadian fuel suppliers that I have talked to. Most do not know what I am talking about,(including truck stops and bulk stations).

What brand of fuel do you use?
What brands do you avoid and why?
Have you found a Canadian Premium diesel?
Do you know the Cetane rating for any Canadian fuels? Most suppliers I have talked with say they meet the minimum requirement of #40. This is not enough information.

The following is a list of brands available in my area. Esso,Shell,Husky,Mowhawk,Petrocan,Arco,Turbo
Chevron.

Any help from TDI-Club members living or driving in Canada would be appreciated.

------------------
The Guardian of Defenceless Machines.

[This message has been edited by Guardian (edited April 17, 2000).]

Guardian

Thanks llaftsew for the tip.

The "Ontario Diesel Fuel Quality" Link has alot of good info on fuel and other links as well.

------------------

Ogopogo TDI

Shell Super Diesel is OK BUT Mohawk Diesel MAX is better. I have gotten better fuel economy (my average is 5.1L/100km on Shell and 4.8L/100km on MohawK - I'd probably get better if I didn't drive like a bat out of hell). The cetane rating on Shell Super Diesel is 44-47 same with Mohawk. Manufacturers are not required to post cetane ratings and are not able to provide accurate numbers due to the delivery system in BC. All that I am sure of is that Mohawk is my 1st choice, Shell Super Diesel is the alternate. I don't use ANY other.

Guardian

Ogopogo TDI Thanks for responding to this thread.
Laately I have been using Shell Super Diesel and it has been performing better than the Esso diesel I had before. I am going to try Mohawk Diesel Max on the next tank.
Ogopogo how did you obtain Cetane information on Shell and Mohawk?
I have called Shell and they did not seem to know much about their own fuel.
I understand that Mohawk is now owned by Husky. I wonder if Husky Diesel is the same as Diesel Max?

------------------
2000 Jetta GL TDI 5 Spd.
Silver Arrow/Grey Cloth,

D. Stewart

If any of you live in eastern Canada (Maritime Provinces), Irving has the best diesel. I have checked the cetane ratings of them all and Irving is 5-10 points higher.
Having said that, my travels across Canada recently have shown RADICALLY differing cetane levels. Sopme would hardly run my TDI while others were great.
Check the cetane levels available in your area. It's worth the time.

Sacha

Veteran Member
D.Stewart, I'm just about to go for my 2nd tank of diesel at Irving,I saw "Microcell added"(hope i spell it good)in their supreme diesel, do you know what this is?? I sent an e-mail to Irving 2 weeks ago, and ask their cetane #, and what was the additif mention earlier, but no response from them yet.

Bluenoser

Blaupunkt:

Irving Premium Diesel has less than 100 ppm sulfur, an additive package tradenamed "Microsel" which boosts cetane to 48 and includes lubricity enhancers, injector cleaner etc.

We are truly blessed in Atlantic Canada. Some of the best diesel in N.A.

------------------
Chris Davey
'98 Passat 1.8T
'00 Jetta TDI

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
Bluenoser and Blaupunkt, do Canadian diesel fuel stations actually display a Cetane number on their pumps? In Maryland, almost none of the stations display their fuel's cetane number, and most gas-station attendants I have talked to don't even know what cetane is.

Bluenoser

Blaupunkt,

My info comes straight from the can of "Microsel" you can pick up at the local Irving "Big Stop".

I don't use it from the can. It specifically warns against adding the additive to Irving Premium. Too much of a good thing I guess?

But when I travel out of the Maritimes this summer, I plan on picking up a can or two for the trip. That way I can be assured the Jetta is maintaining a "good diet".

The info on the sulfur content comes from:
http://exn.ca/Templates/Story.cfm?ID=2000050854

Sacha

Veteran Member
Cars wanted, no cetane # display on the pump. I got the same problem, the pumper guy did not even know what was the word cetane, when I asked him. I guess Bluenoser had a chat with Irving, cause he seem pretty well informed.

D. Stewart

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blaupunkt:
D.Stewart, I'm just about to go for my 2nd tank of diesel at Irving,I saw "Microcell added"(hope i spell it good)in their supreme diesel, do you know what this is?? I sent an e-mail to Irving 2 weeks ago, and ask their cetane #, and what was the additif mention earlier, but no response from them yet.<hr></blockquote>

Microcel is an Irving additive that cleans the system and conditions the fuel. It is available as an additive at most Irving truckstops and will boost the cetane rating about 4.5 points. GREAT stuff.

gamaf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GLS Bright Green
00 Jetta TDI GLS
In Ontario, a newspaper article about fuel informed that McEwen gets its fuel from Irving, and I have used it ever since. It seems to give me about 2 to 3 mpg more than Shell which I tried for comparison. Mileage can vary according to driving conditions and speed, but I try to eliminate that variance by only calculating the mileage at the 4th or 5th fillup,having kept track of the mileage and litres added.

Craig

Veteran Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Guardian:
I have been searching the forums and archives reguarding diesel fuel quality and brands. Everyone is talking about premium diesel fuel and Amoco in particular.
<hr></blockquote>

The problem is that you did not search on "Sunoco Gold". They are the only "premium diesel" supplier (to UPI also) in this part of Canada. Don't know if they sell Gold in B.C. Might as well be B.C since only a tiny fraction of Sunoco stations sell the Gold stuff.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Any of you Nova Scotians use Wilsons? Know how it ranks compared to Irving? I get 50MPG, mostly highway driving, I don't drive it easy, and have always used Wilsons.
Don

Marc James

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Guardian:

To answer your questions here is my $.02:

1) I have used Shell Ultra Diesel mostly (70%), my second choice is regular Shell (20%) and my third is Esso (10%). My reason for using the Ultra from Shell is because of the improved additive package in the fuel (I emailed them and they replied with a decent amount of info on the difference between the regular fuel and the Ultra). As well, strictly from non-scientific observation, the Ultra is clearly the least "smokey upon cold start" one of the bunch. My MPG figures are the same regardless of the fuel I use. I have no conclusive evidence that shows any brand gives better or worse mileage. I may be switching permanently to Esso though... I have found a really good station (clean, convienient etc.) that has Esso diesel a full dime cheaper / litre than my usual Ultra. Esso works fine for me (smoke, MPG, performance etc.). I would love to use biodiesel but there is nothing in Alberta currently that I know of.

2) I avoid any fuel where the pump is excessively filthy... brand name or not if the pump is disgusting I am gone. That's my only real criteria.

3) I don't know if the Ultra qualifies as a premium diesel... if it doesn't then I haven't found any premium diesel.

4) I have never seen this information nor have I investigated it. Whatever the number is... is whatever the number is I cannot control it. Would I buy XYZ diesel if it in fact had a higher number... it would depend on price and direct benefit (i.e. noticable improvement in operation to offset cost etc.).

Marc

Rapt

Veteran Member
Update: Sunoco Gold is available at more locations these days. Including 401 and Thickson Rd location. I just filled up there this morning.

Dunno how it goes but we'll see if its noticeably different in my almost new car. Provided I'm happy I'm going to be petitioning Sunoco to try a location closer to me (Say Belleville, or Marysville.)

My first two tanks have averaged 47 and 55 mpg.

Mike H

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Comfortline
NSTDI,
I've been getting consistent 56-58 MPG (we're talking imperial measures right?) with Wilson's fuel. That is combined city/hwy driving. I've also been using CT's diesel conditioner. Good power, no smoke.
Can't compare quality with Irving but Wilson's sells for .59/litre and Irving around here is .65

Having said that I am going to try Irving next fillup (I think that will be sometime in early April
) Just as an experiment to see if mileage/power is affected.

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Mike H ]</p>

Rapt

Veteran Member
Update now that I'm on my second tank of Sunoco Gold. The minor smoke puff that I saw with the Shell Ultra Diesel is gone.

The car runs more quietly and with less of the typical diesel sound. I'm sold even though the nearest Sunoco Gold place is 100 mi (160km) away.
I'm trying to track down a UPI closer (what was the UPI on hwy 62 is now a different independent... Anyone know who supplies Pioneer?

xiaolu

TDI
2012 JETTA TDI w/Manual Shift
Sorry I digging out this more than 10 year old thread.

Any new info/update on current (Year 2012) situation on Canadian diesel fuel quality among different gas stations?

PS: I live in Ontario (northwest of Toronto)

Thanks.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Diesel fuel in Canada is of good quality- just go to a high volume station- Personally i go out of my way and fill with Husky Dieselmax- They state they add an EXTRA lubricity additive to their fuel on their website- Shell, esso, petro-can only say their fuel meets the canadian standards.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I've been using the cheapest fuel I can find for the last 170,000km and my car runs fine.

I usually buy it in Pt Roberts, so I'm using American fuel. It doesn't include the $0.50 per liter in special taxes so that people who didn't pay attention in school can ride the bus for free.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Even though I can easily fill up my car either in Point Roberts or Blaine, I go there almost everyday, I've been sticking to BC diesel except for about 5 fill ups. Car is at 52000km now and I check the filter on a regular basis, no metal, no junk, looks the same always, I've only have it replaced once during scheduled maintenance.

I am not worried about BC fuel because I have received e-mail reply from Husky rep assuring me that our fuel meets the European specification. Even better, in BC, we have up to 5% bio-diesel content in our ULSD further increasing the lubricity quality. Husky Diesel Max is what I use mostly, followed by Shell V-Power.

The ULSD in WA is suppose to also contain up to 5% bio but the station owners in Point Roberts are really clueless on what they carry. All of them are mom and pop type owners and you really can't push them for these technical questions.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
I think canadian diesel is pretty good and IME better than American diesel,i ran Diesel refined at the husky refinery in Prince George BC for 350,000kms/10+ years and I never had any problems even with the cold temps which got down to -40C

the only fuel issues I had was going north too fast in late fall/early winter with fuel that had been refined in vancover & piped to kamloops

AND from a station just north of Vegas back in 2004