Can someone please help me source this noise??

Jamie93

TDI
Golf Mk7 GTD
Hi All.

I have a 2014 Golf GTD (184PS EA288 TDI) and have noticed over the last few months a strange knocking noise coming from the engine. The odd thing about this is that the noise only seems noticeable when the engine has not reached full temperature. For example, if the car is started and then driven for about 10 mins (oil temp below approx. 70 degrees C), the noise can be heard quite clearly. If the engine is at full temperature, you cannot hear the noise. Also, if the car is driven and then left for an hour or two to cool down and then started again (not fully cold but cooler), the noise can be heard again?? If the engine is fully cold (after an overnight stand), the noise cant be heard when sat until there is some heat in it. I do, however, sometimes get a very metallic sounding rattle when the car is first started for a second or so which then disappears - could these be connected? I have attached a link to the youtube video which I hope you can hear it from? As the video shows, the noise is not regular in rhythm with the engine?? I hope someone can point me in the direction of what this could be, or give me some advice, as VW aren't sure?

Thank you :)/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT63TE3nnZE

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
Go to the "Trusted Mechanics" section of this forum and locate 1, take it there.

Hard to discern from your vid and more details needed about fuels used , oil level/changes , fuel additives, maintenance history.....lots of variables.

...and it could be as simple as an exhaust hanger...?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Go to the "Trusted Mechanics" section of this forum and locate 1, take it there.
Hard to discern from your vid and more details needed about fuels used , oil level/changes , fuel additives, maintenance history.....lots of variables.
...and it could be as simple as an exhaust hanger...?
I am thinking he won't drive his car across the pond to a mechanic on that list.

To the OP - Does the knocking noise get noticeably faster when the engine has higher RPMs or disappear altogether?

Jamie93

TDI
Golf Mk7 GTD
Just as a development to the above. VW have replaced the waterpump and timing belt (with tensioners etc.) under warranty and the noise is still there!! Fuel wise, it is running on shell v power diesel. Oil level is at the top of the dipstick and the car has been serviced by VW on the dot every time since new. The noise is there no matter whether AC is on or off. I didn't think to ask when collecting the car from VW after the water pump was replaced but could it be something on the auxiliary belt drive? Do the crankshaft pulleys have dampers in them? Does it sound like a oil pump / balanced shaft issue?

Lmc878

TDI
GTD184
I have these exact symptoms, no noise when at cold or hot/operating temp. But anything in between I get what sounds like a whirring noise coming from the timing belt side of engine. Only slight but noticeable when outside the car if you are always listening for changes in noise regarding the engine lol.
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of it and should I be worried.
Car is a 2015, 40k, original timing belt.
thanks

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I think a sound bite with the hood open would be easier to denote.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have these exact symptoms, no noise when at cold or hot/operating temp. But anything in between I get what sounds like a whirring noise coming from the timing belt side of engine. Only slight but noticeable when outside the car if you are always listening for changes in noise regarding the engine lol.
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of it and should I be worried.
Car is a 2015, 40k, original timing belt.
thanks
You should consider getting that belt replaced. It's at least 6 years old. 2015 models started in the fall of 2014.

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
Yesterday, after a fuel up (and subsequent re fi on house to pay for it...) I noticed a metallic knocking sound on my 2015 Passat EA288... I did the timing belt (myself) at 120k miles, and is 80% thru oil change cycle at 138k miles. I caught the noise this morning, and the noise stayed present after a couple rev up's off idle. Holding a Screwdriver to my ear and the VVT housing the noise was was most definitely coming from that end. I had my assistant rev the motor up while ear was still on it, and the noise got a bit louder and then it cleared.

Think I have to replace the VVT mechanism?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Yesterday, after a fuel up (and subsequent re fi on house to pay for it...) I noticed a metallic knocking sound on my 2015 Passat EA288... I did the timing belt (myself) at 120k miles, and is 80% thru oil change cycle at 138k miles. I caught the noise this morning, and the noise stayed present after a couple rev up's off idle. Holding a Screwdriver to my ear and the VVT housing the noise was was most definitely coming from that end. I had my assistant rev the motor up while ear was still on it, and the noise got a bit louder and then it cleared.

Think I have to replace the VVT mechanism?
Start your own thread and if you want to refer to this thread, paste the link in your post.

marcomurabia

TDI
Mk7
Hi All.

I have a 2014 Golf GTD (184PS EA288 TDI) and have noticed over the last few months a strange knocking noise coming from the engine. The odd thing about this is that the noise only seems noticeable when the engine has not reached full temperature. For example, if the car is started and then driven for about 10 mins (oil temp below approx. 70 degrees C), the noise can be heard quite clearly. If the engine is at full temperature, you cannot hear the noise. Also, if the car is driven and then left for an hour or two to cool down and then started again (not fully cold but cooler), the noise can be heard again?? If the engine is fully cold (after an overnight stand), the noise cant be heard when sat until there is some heat in it. I do, however, sometimes get a very metallic sounding rattle when the car is first started for a second or so which then disappears - could these be connected? I have attached a link to the youtube video which I hope you can hear it from? As the video shows, the noise is not regular in rhythm with the engine?? I hope someone can point me in the direction of what this could be, or give me some advice, as VW aren't sure?
Thank you :)/

Last edited: