Can RCD510 be used in non-VW applications?

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Hello all.. couldn't come up with a more appropriate forum, and find people that would know the answer.

I REALLY like the RCD510 in my 2010 Jetta.. and would like to install one in my 94 land cruiser.

I see mention of RCD510s on ebay with the security code.. but will the stereo operate at all without the VW CANBUS? Will the IPOD adapter work as well? I remember having to code my chassis for the ipod interface when I installed it into my 2010.. but it has been a while.

Thanks for any info.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The problem is that the radio will turn off in 30 min. if it does not communicate with the car via CanBus.
Or at least that is what my RNS-510 does since there is something wrong with my unit and it will not communicate with the JSW.
RCD510 may be different, however
Also if anyone has a suggestion for fixing my RNS510 so that the CanBus works I would appreciate knowing what it might be. The car side is good since it worked with the RNS510 that I swapped with my wife's RCD510 to upgrade her car.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I bet the RCD510 is the same on the time limit, as if I turn it on with the ignition off it will eventually time out. Not sure if this is specifically canbus or a +12v with ignition on, but if yours is canbus it seems safe to assume the RCD will act the same.

Bummer. Though I guess scion stereos are an option too.