Can lock either IP, or cam....not both.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
'03 Jetta, 134K miles, engine, IP, and drive train are all original, never been R&R'd.
Trying to lock at TDC so I can remove the IP to replace the N108 (Ohms at nothing due to oil/fuel-fouled wiring).

I can see the flywheel mark really well. Cam plate slides in nicely right there, but IP lock hole is off just enough that pin won't enter the hole.
If I remove the cam plate and roll forward a tich, the IP lock pin goes in, but the flywheel mark is then no longer visible, and the cam plate won't go in.

I have the full metalnerd set, with the non-"long-reach" cam plate, so I'm looking at the #1 cam lobes too.
Would I be OK to just lock at flywheel and cam, then try and "reset" the IP lock hole to where it should be once I re-install the IP?
*sigh* I gotta get this car back on the road.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Yes, you would have had to with new pump. Things tend to get a smidge off with wear.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Maybe things were even set wrong before. Always best to go through the proper line up procedure when parts are reinstalled, then double check after you roll the engine around 2x by hand.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Would I be OK to just lock at flywheel and cam, then try and "reset" the IP lock hole to where it should be once I re-install the IP?
Yep. Just lock the cam and flywheel, loosen the three IP bolts, use the 22mm wrench to turn it so that the locking pin slides in (it's a *REALLY* snug fit), then proceed with the task at hand.
(Edit: Tighten the IP bolts once you get locking pin in, counter holding with the 22mm wrench)

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you're removing the IP, don't bother putting the pin in, that's for assembly, and you'll have to go back and adjust your timing anyways. Just lock the cam and align the crank.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
Yep. Just lock the cam and flywheel, loosen the three IP bolts, use the 22mm wrench to turn it so that the locking pin slides in (it's a *REALLY* snug fit), then proceed with the task at hand.
Perfect, simple explanation. This.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Regarding your initial condition, it is normal. When installing the belt the cam and pump sprockets float until tightened after which the locking tools will still go in.

When you subsequently set the timing you change the position of the pump shaft relative to the pump sprocket. (And, of course, the cam and crank) This may be a little or a lot depending on wear as was mentioned or the preference of the mechanic if he wants to run it extra advanced or retarded.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
About seating the N108. Have the IP in a vise.
My damaged one came out with a pop, and went flying, leaving it's nose o-ring behind.
Removed that, and went to seat the new unit.
Coated the O-rings really well with diesel, and tried to press it in using my thumbs on the 'wings' with the bolt holes.
Wasn't going to work, so I thought why not cinch it down as evenly as I could with the bolts themselves.
I couldn't really see another way that wouldn't amount to the same type of force, anyway, though it didn't seem like the best idea either, which is why I'm checking with you guys lol.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
N108 is the solenoid valve beneath the pump head?

I swapped it once with another due to cracked insulation. I don't remember it being a problem. Since you're pushing an o-ring into a bore some resistance is not surprising.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I use thick gear oil when rebuilding these pumps. Diesel is not slippery enough. Make sure the bore is perfectly clean or you’ll cut your new o rings. Prelube the bore as well. Typically the pump head is removed when installing the solenoid which allows you to rotate it to ease installation but you can do it with the head installed.