Can I Run 99% in my 2006 Jetta TDI?

tdiflyin

TDI
many
I would like to run 99% in my car, but the dealer told me it voids my warranty. Why would this be? Also does 99% cause or could it cause damage?
AND:Can the dealers pro mechanics tell if I used 99%?
THE 99% I WOULD BE USING IS FROM A TEXACO, NOT HOMEMADE.
Please be as specific as possible with your answers and try and address each question seperately if possible.
THANK YOU so much for your help.

fish_on

TDI
2010 Jetta, White, DSG
I would run a tank of B99 every month through my 2005.5 just to keep things clean. I just sold the car after not driving it for 9 month. It had 72K when I sold it and ran like a champ. Wife runs it in her 05 Bug once in a while and no problems.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
tdiflyin said:
I would like to run 99% in my car, but the dealer told me it voids my warranty. Why would this be?

The manufacturer can put any limits/terms they want regarding maintenance/warranty on their products. They have chosen to warranty nothing greater B5 in their cars.
--------------------

Also does 99% cause or could it cause damage?

VW seems to think so... But I do not know.
----------------------

Yes, they can send a sample to a lab for analysis.
-----------------------
Please be as specific as possible with your answers and try and address each question seperately if possible.
You are welcome, and good luck!

Bill

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
fish_on said:
I would run a tank of B99 every month through my 2005.5 just to keep things clean. I just sold the car after not driving it for 9 month. It had 72K when I sold it and ran like a champ. Wife runs it in her 05 Bug once in a while and no problems.
This does not make sense to me.Instead of running one tank of B99 every now andthen,why not provide your fuel injection system with a steady source of better cleaner fuel with higher lubricity? Running a B5 blend regularly would make more sense to me.Even running B20. But B99 sometimes? If you run biod blends on a regular basis, your system is clean and stays clean. Why let it get dirty and then worry about possible clogs from a bad source of diesel that a high dose of bio suddenly cleans out??

soberups

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
tdiflyin said:
I would like to run 99% in my car, but the dealer told me it voids my warranty. Why would this be? Also does 99% cause or could it cause damage?
I have the same car you do ('06 Jetta TDI) with 12,000 miles on it. I have run nothing BUT b99 since the day I bought it new, except for b50 in the winter. I have had no problems whatsoever. I did a premature fuel filter change at 10K and my filter was clean.
The warranty issue is overblown IMHO. They cannot legally void the warranty on the entire car for using biodiesel. If they wanted to void a warranty claim, they would have to first prove that the defect was directly caused by using biodiesel. A mechanic, or anyone else for that matter, can tell if you are running bio by the smell and consistency of the fuel. VW does not warranty high % blends (yet) because until recently there were no consistent standards for biodiesel quality here in the US. There is now an ASTM spec in place for all retail biodiesel. I have also heard rumours that VW will soon offer warranty protection up to B20, which is what Dodge has already done for the Cummins engines.
You can cause problems by using biodiesel of poor quality. You can also cause problems by using high biodiesel blends during cold weather. Other than that, there is nothing about quality ASTM certified bio that makes it unsuitable for use in a TDI motor. There also are other posters in this forum with 100,000+ trouble-free miles on bio in their TDI's.:)

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
TDIFLYIN,

I don't believe you have used the search feature at the top of this page (between the new post and quick links up top). You will find that many, MANY people have asked these same questions, so there are a lot of responses to go through.

YOU ASKED:

The dealer may have said that using more than B05 will void the warranty on the engine and related stuff, NOT the entire car (that is correct), but it would first be their obligation to prove that the fuel was the problem. If you are using ASTM certified fuel, there shouldn't be a problem. If you are using good stuff 99% should not cause a problem.

Yes, they can, even just by the smell.

I've been using commercial grade B05, B20, and B100 for 5 years (since 4/02) and have not had a single problem. You have a pumpe duese engine which some feel is more sensitive to fuel quality so I would seek feedback from the users of this pump before going hogwild. Also, remember that even if you use a lighter blend you are STILL using biodiesel so put a sticker on you car showing people that you exist. A lot more people will be driving a diesel in coming years and it is important for them and others to see that we can get OFF of petroleum. Right now we don't have that capacity, so if everyone tanks up with a little it helps a lot until we can provide a higher concentration - by then manufactures will almost certainly up their numbers too. I figure we're early adopters and that true change won't happen for another 5 years or so. But doing your part now will help, even in lower doses.

~BeetleGo

Last edited: