Can I rebuild vnt turbo?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
My K3 was hand built in Oregon. It's a hybrid based on the vnt 15 or 17. I think that qualifies it as a rebuild of some sort. It's been running like a Swiss watch for a couple of years.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Hearing about places and having had work done is, in my opinion 2 different cups of tea!
I would like to know where members of this forum have had their turbo's rebuilt ... Ther are many great websites with great customer testimonials about the quality of the finished product and service, but I am looking for firsthand accounts and experiences.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Remember our variable vaned turbo's are a different animal.

And don't send it to Arizona!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Hearing about places and having had work done is, in my opinion 2 different cups of tea!
I would like to know where members of this forum have had their turbo's rebuilt ... Ther are many great websites with great customer testimonials about the quality of the finished product and service, but I am looking for firsthand accounts and experiences.
After reading through this thread, you should have some ideas on what needs to go into a good, reliable rebuild. So I think that your next step will be to contact some of these places directly on the phone and ask them the important questions.

Where do you source the parts.

How do you balance everything.

What is their failure rate.

Who is running their turbos with long term success.

I'm sure that there are other important questions, but to ask on an internet forum will mostly get you opinions. Those opinions can lead to important information, but they will be opinions, it's up to you to dig in and find the facts and that will require some time on the phone for you..

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Bumping an old post instead of dragging another post off topic.
I tried to rebuild a VNT-15. Sent it to Gpop and got it balanced.
Then installed the bearings they sent back with it.
Put it on a 1.6D.

It went out shortly afterwards. Started contacting the casing.

It was obvious to me that the new cylinder "bearing" had less surface area in contact with the shaft than the stock bearing.

The one on the left is the stock bearing.
The one on the right is the new bearing.
You can see the difference inside.
The bearing surface is stepped down and away from the shaft in both the stock and new bearings.
In the stock bearing the surface that actually comes in contact with the shaft is wider.

The center bearing is something I made.
The one in the pic was a screwup, I either got the inside diameter wrong or the outside so I used it to practice putting holes and the little indexing divot in it,..that's why the holes aren't pointing right.
But the pictures shows there is no stepped down area, the whole length of the bearing.
Instead the actual shaft is stepped down away from the bearing in the middle. Stock.

The outside diameter of the cylinder is also a couple thou looser than I liked. 4 thou clearance on that little bearing? The shaft was moving too much and it was the bearing that was moving. So mine is wider. Still has a couple thou clearance for expansion of the brass.

Works great now. Has lasted several years.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
For anyone that is interested in rebuilding their vnt-15, or vnt-17, here is an idea: the CHRA's available from non-ebay sources, can be sent to someone like Turbo Labs of America to make sure everything is right and even machine in a larger billet compressor wheel. My hybrid is 3 plus years old and is still perfect as the day it was installed.
No, Garrett does not sell VNT turbo rebuild parts, but there are great parts being made in the UK, as well as the USA. The shaft of both the early vnt-15 and vnt-17 do have a section in the middle of the shaft that has a reduced diameter (and nobody knows why it seems) and that is why those turbos are limited to 24 PSI regardless of compressor wheel installed.