Can I put a 6 speed manual in my 05 Passat TDI wagon?

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
It has a 5 speed manual in it right now. I want to switch to 6 because I'm not happy with the cruising RPMs on the highway. Cruising at 70 MPH I am almost at 3000 in 5th. Is this normal for a 5 speed? Maybe it's normal and I'm just weird, but it doesn't seem right to me. I also have a 2015 Jetta TDI which cruises at 70 at about 1800-1900. My main reason for wanting to swap is fuel economy on the highway. I guess I don't know how much difference having less cruising RPMs would make on fuel economy but I would imagine at least a little. I was also reading about 6th gear conversion/addon, but it looks like those are all for gas engines/transverse transmissions. I'm not sure which transmission it has in it right now, as soon as I have space in the garage I'll get under it and hopefully find out. But if it's not even possible then I won't worry about it.. Thanks

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
A 6 speed conversion is for sure possible in a B5 Passat, I have one of them. It's an 01E FRF transmission from a EU V6 TDI, tallest gearing youll see in a manual B5.

That said, there are other 5 speed options that get very close in terms of a tall 5th gear and lower highway revs. I suspect you have a 5 speed conversion done on a budget where a transmission was sourced from a gasoline V6, hence the higher revs.
If you can find a TDI 5speed, you can bring down your revs quite a bit. Problem is that they were never sold here in North America, and you'll likely have to import one from the EU. Search for Frans (Franz?), And contact him. He has imported many of the TDI transmissions for these conversions.

There are no 6th gear add-ons for your transmission like there are for the O2J in the MK4 jettas.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
... I'm not sure which transmission it has in it right now, as soon as I have space in the garage I'll get under it and hopefully find out. But if it's not even possible then I won't worry about it.. Thanks
It's possible to to find out which gearbox code you have. Just look at the rear section of the case on the bottom circled here in this pic.

GearboxCodeLocationBottom.jpg

It should have the three letter gearbox code followed by some numbers which usually is the date of when the gearbox was manufactured.

Internaut

TDI
'98 Jetta
Actually yeah now that I think of it, I remember the previous owner saying something about 1.8t for the transmission. So that’s probably why my revs are so high. I wouldn’t mind spending a bit more cash on a 6 speed over a 5 speed if it means I get the tallest possible gears. I assume I’ll need to get new axles, flywheel, and shifter for the 01E 6 speed?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Read through this thread - details the parts needed for the 6speed swap, including flywheel and clutch options:

Internaut

TDI
'98 Jetta
Great thanks. From what I read there it seems like a 5 speed would be the most economical choice for me. So I take it this Frans guy can hook me up with a conversion kit?

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I think you want a GGB or FHN transmission code for the tall 5th gear. Frans can source it from Dutch Auto Parts, but also there are some abandoned projects over here with people looking to get rid of transmissions for manual conversions of B5.5 TDIs. Check out the "Private TDI Items For Sale" thread.

Here's one in Northeast US:

Internaut

TDI
'98 Jetta
Yeah I guess I should really only need the transaxle. I think while I’m in there I may do clutch and/or flywheel. I can’t really tell what’s wrong but when I let the clutch out starting in 1st gear it “lugs” a lot. I’m thinking maybe the clutch surfaces are contaminated or maybe the previous owner reused DMF from 1.8t which could be on its way out. So I know SMF is bad on those 01E trans but I should be fine using one on the 5 speeds right?

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
I just found a DUK and FHN for sale online. Now I am caught up between the two. So I believe the DUK has taller gearing, but I read on BHW/01E swap thread that the DUK's taller gears actually reduce the fuel economy on the highway, wondering how true this is. Also just realized I've replied with two different accounts, if anyone was confused..

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Yes the different accounts was confusing. Thought maybe a couple were tag teaming the question.

You have it mixed up. The FHN's final drive is taller. Here are the ratios below.

DUK​
35/10
(3.5)​
35/18
(1.944)​
33/27
(1.222)​
28/32
(0.875)​
24/35
(0.686)​
32/9
(3.556)​
5-manual​
FHN​
34/9
(3.778)​
37/17
(2.176)​
34/25
(1.36)​
28/31
(0.903)​
24/35
(0.686)​
31/9
(3.444)​
5-manual​

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
BTW - the FHN and same gear ratio GGB closely matches the original GMR automatic in the highway cruising RPM.

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
I’m not sure what that is, as I’ve never driven one of these in auto, but I’m assuming that’s a good thing

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
If you are worried about a taller ratio sacrificing fuel mileage, this closely resembles what came from the factory.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
One thing you need to have in mind is Cruise control will not work when you put different transmission code.
That can be fixed with tuning ECU , and I can help you on that if you wish to have Cruise control working. You can message me if you need any help on that .

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
stick with an FHN if you can find one. Also the 1.8t LUK dmf is the tits. Smoothest clutch you'll find but may require a little actuator rod length adjustment.

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
One thing you need to have in mind is Cruise control will not work when you put different transmission code.
That can be fixed with tuning ECU , and I can help you on that if you wish to have Cruise control working. You can message me if you need any help on that .
Yes I have the cruise control working right now, unless I need to tune again after the swap. Although clutch safety switch for cruise is not working so will have to look into getting that wired in. Do you also do fuel tuning?

stick with an FHN if you can find one. Also the 1.8t LUK dmf is the tits. Smoothest clutch you'll find but may require a little actuator rod length adjustment.
Could you elaborate on this? I want to have a nice smooth clutch like my '15 TDI. I want to have a SMF but I assume this will lead to rough engagement

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I have a 15 passat 6mt and was spoiled too. For $500 for the LUK I see no reason to go SMF unless you're going for a stage 3+ tune. The actuator rod length is no show stopper. It just may need to be lengthened or shortened a bit to acommodate the LUK and release bearing. As you know or will know, the Passat has no linkage adjustment built-in, so the start enable switch in the clutch pedal may not work with oe linkage. The Passat manuals all had high release points so you probably will have to get it to release lower to prevent slipping and then the switch may not engage. I used a piece of 1/4" round steel rod at the slave cut and ends rounded to reach my sweet spot. The DMF has other advantages also: The vibrations you may feel from the bsm delete are also less.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Yes I have the cruise control working right now, unless I need to tune again after the swap. Although clutch safety switch for cruise is not working so will have to look into getting that wired in. Do you also do fuel tuning?
Once you change transmission , Gear ration will chnage and CC will not work anymore .
Yes I do any kind of tuning . As far as fuel economy ,with correct tune and when you put correct TDI transmission you should get about 40mpg HWY, City is very hard to tell , depend of driving conditions , how many stop and go,seen it form 33 to 38, on Passat, Passat is very heavy and never gets MPG like Jetta or Golf.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Any of the decent chip tuners can fix the ratio issue for cruise. Malone and TDTuning were the first ones doing it, they just need to know the final gear ratio in top gear. I'd personally recommend Malone, I like the way his tuning drives best.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
I have a 6 speed 01e GAZ code with Valeo SMF, South Bend clutch and PP in my 04 5.5. I average around 32 mpg with a stage 2 TD tune. Of course, I drive it like I stole it. With this combo, it just doesn't seem happy under 2 k rpm. Keep the boil on and it will reward you. Unfortunately, I have to reduce my fleet of 9 vehicles (5 VWs, 1 Audi and 3 trucks) and must let the Passat go. Check out TDIs for sale on this website if interested.