Can I hold off on scheduling appointment?

Moonrocket

TDI
JSW
I got to the schedule appointment stage. Can I wait til I have line of sight on the car I want to replace with? Is there any time limit on the docs I submitted?

They are showing appointments as soon as Dec 23 and 4 days a week every week from early Jan on.

They have not started production on the XLE flavor of highlander hybrid I plan to replace with.

Thanks!

Moonrocket

TDI
JSW
Yes, you can wait till 9-1-18.

I have read in other places the offer acceptance is only good for 90 days. I can see appointments through mid-April on the web portal.

Can anyone clarify?

The car I want is starting to show in inventory- but I want to make sure there is no limits on setting an appointment after paperwork is complete.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If you want to wait longer than 90 days, don't submit your paperwork now. Ultimately, you can wait until September 2018. If you want to do that, you would probably want to submit your paperwork sometime in late spring 2018.

refueler

TDI
2014 Jetta 6 MT
I received my offer a couple of weeks ago. I'm waiting to see if there is a fix or a test drive in the new 3 seat Tiguan 4 motion. I'm confused as what to do with the buy back offer I've been sitting on the offer. Is there an time limit on when the buy back offer has to be submitted once the offer has been issued or can I wait to submit it.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
I have read in other places the offer acceptance is only good for 90 days. I can see appointments through mid-April on the web portal.
Can anyone clarify?
The car I want is starting to show in inventory- but I want to make sure there is no limits on setting an appointment after paperwork is complete.
After you send your notarized paper work and the acceptance email is sent to you to make an appointment for turn in, now you can freeze the process until you're good and ready (Sep 1, 2018 is deadline for submitting the notarized paperwork, December 30 is the last day for turning in the car to VW); when you resume that process you enter the present mileage of the car. Again, you control when to send for that appointment. As was mentioned by Marsupial, apparently, this 90 day period is a moving target that is pushed up by a week (every week) until you initiate the turn in appointment.

Last edited:

refueler

TDI
2014 Jetta 6 MT
Ok; then I should send the buy back offer in and accept their offer. Then when I'm ready set up the appointment for the actual buy back.

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
Sept 1, 2018 is the deadline to provide VWoA with the signed and notarized agreement.

December 30, 2018 is the deadline to produce your car for buyback

The Class Action Settlement claim program closes on December 30, 2018. You must have submitted a complete and valid claim by September 1, 2018 to get a Buyback or an Approved Emissions Modification plus Restitution Payment by the time the Class Action Settlement claim program ends.

Last edited:

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Sept 1, 2018 is the deadline to provide VWoA with the signed and notarized agreement.

December 30, 2018 is the deadline to produce your car for buyback

The Class Action Settlement claim program closes on December 30, 2018. You must have submitted a complete and valid claim by September 1, 2018 to get a Buyback or an Approved Emissions Modification plus Restitution Payment by the time the Class Action Settlement claim program ends.
Thanks for the clarification!

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Ok; then I should send the buy back offer in and accept their offer. Then when I'm ready set up the appointment for the actual buy back.
I'm waiting to send in the letter to start the 90 day clock ticking until my Alltrack is built. A friend of mine (not on this forum) was told over the phone by VW that she had 10 days to return the letter and 90 days after that to make the appointment. Period. Like she MUST do it then. No skin off her teeth, she has a new car lined up, but I sent her shots of the language from the letters. Its pretty clear, there are no "musts" as far as sending it back.

phormat

TDI
2010 Audi A3 TDI
I wish I saw this post sooner. Hopefully I'm not out of luck but after reading VeeDubTDI, I might have lost out on keeping the car for longer. I returned the notarized offer yesterday, thinking I could still wait until 9/18 to turn the car in. Do I have any other options to keep the car until 2018?

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish I saw this post sooner. Hopefully I'm not out of luck but after reading VeeDubTDI, I might have lost out on keeping the car for longer. I returned the notarized offer yesterday, thinking I could still wait until 9/18 to turn the car in. Do I have any other options to keep the car until 2018?
You're OK. You still control the timing.
1) Sep 1, 2018 is deadline for submitting the notarized paperwork,
2) December 30 2018 is the last day for turning in the car to VW.
After you send your notarized paper work and the acceptance email is sent to you to make an appointment for turn in, now you can freeze the process until you're good and ready; when you resume that process you enter the present mileage of the car and decide on the dealer that you deliver the car to. Again, you control when to send for that appointment. Apparently, there is 90 day available period between initiating the turn in process and the appointment date for delivering the car to a dealer.

Last edited:

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
You're OK. You still control the timing.
1) Sep 1, 2018 is deadline for submitting the notarized paperwork,
2) December 30 2018 is the last day for turning in the car to VW.
After you send your notarized paper work and the acceptance email is sent to you to make an appointment for turn in, now you can freeze the process until you're good and ready; when you resume that process you enter the present mileage of the car and decide on the dealer that you deliver the car to. Again, you control when to send for that appointment. Apparently, there is 90 day available period between initiating the turn in process and the appointment date for delivering the car to a dealer.
^^^ this.

You can wait at this stage until the end of the buyback period, and can change from buyback to fix and back to buyback any time you want.

sjawahrani

TDI
2011 Audi 3 TDI
Hello,

I am in similar situation, My car registration is up in March but I would like to keep the car for another year (March 2018 - I am waiting for 2018 models to be released in summer). I do need a Smog check. Will the car pass SMOG check? Will I be able to register my car?

I have an offer from Audi and will past 90 days on Feb 26th, should I signed the ofer letter back to them and hold of on appointment?

Thanks

Subhash

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yes, it will pass smog (unless there are other problems with it), and yes, you can register it. Send back the offer whenever you like, and schedule your appointment whenever you like.

1969mach1351

TDI
2010 Jetta 6MT
I am trying to wait until the end of this year to do the buyback but can not pick a date that far out. I originally could pick a date up to 90 days out. I waited one month and now can only schedule about 60 days out. June 24th is the last day it will let me buyback. Each week that goes by does not add another week to future buyback dates.

I've tried the 10 closest dealers to me and they are all the same. I have also scheduled an appointment and canceled it to try and make it regenerate buyback dates. It still limits me to June 24th.

I've tried calling the hotline and the lady had no idea.

What happens if I do not pick a date and I pass June 24th 2017(the last day it will let me schedule)? Will it regenerate another 90 days of buyback?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Your car will pas smog check. From what I've heard, 48 states received restitution funds from VW to the tune of Millions of dollars, and in trade they had to agree to let the cars pass smog for owners who opt out of the settlement.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
What happens if I do not pick a date and I pass June 24th 2017(the last day it will let me schedule)? Will it regenerate another 90 days of buyback?
Yes, just sit on it. The only deadlines are Sept 2018 for buyback registration and Dec 2018 for completion. You won't forfeit buyback by not scheduling.