Can I do this?

Duncan Ohio

TDI
2014 Jetta
Hello talented people!

I am a middle-aged father of 2 toddlers in KY with no real mechanical skills beyond basic carpentry. Before my firstborn came, my wife and I bought a used 2014 Jetta TDI wagen and have loved it though we haven't really been TDI people or even car people. She has driven it ever since to take my kids around town. Last month, the DPF code came up (amongst many others) and the car suddenly wasn't shifting up and my wife couldn't get it above 45 mph and the high torque was missing. She says it was like it was stuck in low gear. I had her drive it to a dealership, who quoted me over 6k with a litany of things that were wrong. I got the vibe that they were trying to restock their used car inventory and sell me another car. We then drove it down the road to a second mechanic and they were able to clear all of the codes except the DPF. I don't really have 3-6k to have the sketchy dealer rip me off, and all of my reading on this site and others indicates the BEST thing to do (verified by the mechanic who isn't allowed to do this) would be to perform a delete.

I am excited and terrified of this, because the idea of never having to deal with these endemic exhaust issues sounds great, the idea of my wife driving around with the audible turbo is hilarious to me, but I am not confident in my ability to do this job myself.

If any of you could lend some wisdom, please help!
How hard is it do delete on this car?
What tools do I need (Can I use my brother's ramps or do I need lifts)?
I think the Rawtek kit is the most recommended, probably with the resonator for highway driving comfort and the 0.5 stage tune? Is this correct?

Thank you for any insight you have. I am willing to take this opportunity to man up and become somewhat of a car guy to take care of my family and their ability to get around town, I just need to know if this is something I can do!

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
frankly, if you're coming from basically "0", you'd be best served buying a kit and paying a third party to install it.

do you live in, or would you ever need to sell the car in a place where emissions testing is required?

Duncan Ohio

TDI
2014 Jetta
frankly, if you're coming from basically "0", you'd be best served buying a kit and paying a third party to install it.

do you live in, or would you ever need to sell the car in a place where emissions testing is required?
Thanks for the response! I live in Kentucky, so emissions will never be an issue.

Is there a trick to finding third parties who do this? The "reputable" mechanics are not allowed to.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
Thanks for the response! I live in Kentucky, so emissions will never be an issue.

Is there a trick to finding third parties who do this? The "reputable" mechanics are not allowed to.
This is a non deleted tdi forum only! We drive these cars to save on fuel and help the environment. I think the crowd you should talk to is TDIsumbags on Facebook they are the ones who know about all that illegal delete stuff. Sorry we can’t help you.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is one forum set aside just for this kind of stuff. I believe it requires some wording about the legalities in your post. But there are plenty of posts here about this. So a search should help you there. I believe it would be possible to find either video or instructions and the manual itself as far as removing the DPF. If you can read and understand and use hand tools properly and are willing to take your time and do it exactly right and you can probably get it done.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

Yep, right here in this forum with a post just above yours.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Got any friends with diesel pickups? If they haven't done it, they probably know someone who did. Whatever shop did that should be able to do your VW pretty easily. Different parts, of course, but same principles involved.

Could you do it? I don't know - I find carpentry way more challenging than car stuff. If you have the right tools, it's certainly do-able by a motivated learner.

Duncan Ohio

TDI
2014 Jetta
This is a non deleted tdi forum only! We drive these cars to save on fuel and help the environment. I think the crowd you should talk to is TDIsumbags on Facebook they are the ones who know about all that illegal delete stuff. Sorry we can’t help you.
Oh, I didn't know that. I had searched on google about it and several posts on this forum came up so I wanted to ask about the difficulty of such an undertaking. It looks like I don't have another choice as neither the mechanic nor myself can even find a DPF to buy. If it were possible to just bypass the DPF and EGR and leave the cat I would, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
It just seems a little sus that a new member comes in asking about doing illegal delete. So some people are a little hesitant on replying and providing help that could expose/hurt mechanics or shops.

Duncan Ohio

TDI
2014 Jetta
It just seems a little sus that a new member comes in asking about doing illegal delete. So some people are a little hesitant on replying and providing help that could expose/hurt mechanics or shops.
I get that. I didn't think it was illegal outside of a few states that still require emissions testing. From a day of googling it seems like it is a preferred solution to what seems to be the most common issue this car has. I wouldn't want to expose anyone to feds, but when people were saying it was potentially too hard for my to do myself I guess I do need to find some help. I would prefer to save money and do it myself but taking a subframe off to even access the DPF for a replace or clean has me pretty hesitant.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Deleting the emissions equipment is illegal all states in the country. Its a federal law and if you google, the EPA loves going after tuning companies and companies who sell emission delete equipment.

Now, it all depends on how much the states care and how they enforce the laws.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
If you want to know how hard it is, just look up the installation instructions on Rawtek's website. Or follow Josh's Jetta's on youtube -he has all kinds of videos, including a delete. It is not that hard to do (so I've heard) and you don't need to mess with the subframe if you can cut the DPF in half (so I've heard). Biggest issue might be rusty bolts from living in a winter salt climate. The results are worth it (so I've heard).

Duncan Ohio

TDI
2014 Jetta
If you want to know how hard it is, just look up the installation instructions on Rawtek's website. Or follow Josh's Jetta's on youtube -he has all kinds of videos, including a delete. It is not that hard to do (so I've heard) and you don't need to mess with the subframe if you can cut the DPF in half (so I've heard). Biggest issue might be rusty bolts from living in a winter salt climate. The results are worth it (so I've heard).
Thanks man. So if I wanted to access the DPF I would need lifts or would ramps be adequate? I have hand tools but I guess I might need a hand grinder?

gomesan

TDI
01 jetta alh and 14 passat tdi
It doesnt save the environment when a CKRA engine's earth saving equipment totals the car well before its lifespan is up. Then a new car has to come out of the earth. Just put a covid mask over the exhaust that'l work.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
It doesnt save the environment when a CKRA engine's earth saving equipment totals the car well before its lifespan is up. Then a new car has to come out of the earth. Just put a covid mask over the exhaust that'l work.
Should have added a little wink with that post but I wasn’t too sure if buddy boy was working with a certain branch of the government that likes to sue.