Can a new category be started: "Towing" or "Towing with TDI"

Over50(mpg)

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
This would not be model/year specific; although, each post would likely refer to a specific model/age. However, there is a lot of room for learning from towing issues related to other models/years. This would not likely be a very popular topic (assuming that a low % of TDI's are towing); therefore, would not be too many postings.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There have been a few threads on this topic, I assume they land in their appropriate platform-specific sections.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Ill bite.
2011 JSW 6 sp manual. Karma non delete, 80k, Kenwood with Maestro (misc. engine readouts)
eco hidden 2" 350# tongue 3500# max. w/ 6" rise (below trailer with 18" tongue height)

Yesterday pulled an empty 6x14 single axle, enclosed utility trailer apx 80 miles. 1400#
Ran freeway 4th gear @ 55mph at first to feel out. 5th was too low in rpm at that speed to feel ok. with it. Got past worrying about the 55 speed limit and bumped it up to 60 mph. With it on cruise control & flat land, engine rpms turned @ 2500, kindof too high revving for me. The instant mpg sat around 24 mpg. The engine load reading was usually between 40% to 48%. Rpm's dropped to 1900 in 5th. Instant mpg bumped up to around 28 mpg. Engine load roughly between 48% to 58%. This felt much better in 5th. My Polar F.I.S. was turned off at the time or I would have like to compared the soot load and EGT temps.

My take away was
6m/cjaa had decent torque to pull 1400#'s @ 60mph in 5th gear on flat land. The JSW was smooth and quite and did the job. It wasn't a 7.3 for shure though ...
It did pulled well around town, although the 2nd to 3rd felt to far apart. The non electric brake 1400 # trailer wasn't too bad to stop.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Fine to start a thread, but here would be the wrong place.
There have been a few threads on this topic, I assume they land in their appropriate platform-specific sections.
So better yet, use one that's already been started. Not hard to find.