Can a High Pressure Fuel Filter be added after HPFP

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
I have been reading the various threads regarding the HPFP failures on the newer engines. I am in the market to purchase a new car next year & I would love to buy a new diesel Jetta (I currently own a 2004 with 153K miles) but I am not comfortable with the HPFP issue (I keep my cars for high miles, I hope to make it to over 300K with the 2004). I am guessing that the discharge pressure of the HPFP is in the 30,000 psi range? I work in a powerplant & I know that there are very high pressure filters. Has anyone looked into installing a high pressure filter just after the HPFP to catch the shrapnel if the pump destructs? I know that there is seamless stainless steel tubing rated for 10,000 psi; would the high pressure make adding a filter here to difficult?

boostin20

TDI
'11 mustang gt
It has been done on the return line .
That kind of defeats the purpose. What he wants is to stop the metal between the pump outlet and the injectors.

I'm thinking along the same lines, and the only thing I've found so far is Norman filters. The only problem with that is I don't know the required gpm on the CR, and if these filters can handle it.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Actually it isolates the damage to just the rail an injectors rather than the entire system .

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Additional filtration

Pruzink / Boostin, here is a link to a link that may help in your thoughts. Very common and available filters from the waterjet and Sourgas Oil industry.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3956776#post3956776

A great deal of information on flow rates can be found in a sensitive thread called "Water Fuel Separator" back in April this year, from the MK 6 / Sportwagen section. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3747602#post3747602
Softrock has a great deal of knowledge about this issue and is correct in his statements above about containing the damage.

Hope this helps you,
All the best,

Last edited:

boostin20

TDI
'11 mustang gt
2micron, I really appreciate you posting that. Hopefully that can hold me over (once I buy the golf) until a cummins hpfp retrokit is available.