Can a diesel specific oil be used in 2.0 CR TDI with no DPF

Rustom

TDI
Mk6 Jetta
I have a 2014 Jetta 2.0 TDI with no DPF from the factory. Car was filled with VW 505.01 (Castrol Edge 5w40 filled by the dealer) for the first 6 years and then with VW 507 Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. Is it wise to use a diesel specific engine oil in my CR TDI? I have Amsoil Signature Series Max Duty 5w40 in my mind.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
I use Amsoil Signature series Max Duty 5w30 in my 2015 Golf. The DOHC engines experience no problems with a 5w30, so why not use the thinner oil and experience the slight gain in fuel economy?

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
you should always use a diesel specific oil in a diesel engine. it's more than just a dpf that determines the oil needed. there is extra soot to hold in suspension, wear additives, anti oxides ect all designed for diesel

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
I'd run a robust 5w40 HD diesel engine oil if I didn't have a dpf to be concerned with.

Rustom

TDI
Mk6 Jetta
Thanks everyone. Will try a diesel specific oil soon. My knowledge on engine oil is very limited. I went with VW 507 oil after seeing the Lubrizol tool as it shows VW 507 to the best among all VW approvals. However I personally prefer 5w40 over 5w30 as the ambient temperature here is mostly always above 30°C. Winters are very mild here and rarely goes below 15°C

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You keep referring to 'diesel specific' oil. Oil that meets VW's 507.00 certification is diesel specific, so you've been running one all along if that is what you were using. And that oil is fine to continue using. Going to a 40 top number is unlikely to have any measurable impact on engine wear. The long block components will outlast the rest of the car regardless.

TDI- Toolbox

TDI
2011 golf wagon 2.0 TDI
I used the Castrol oil from vw for the first 7 or 8 oil changes. After that I used Amsoil 5w30 for diesel.
I do oil changes at 10k km. At 810 k the engine is fine, maybe add 0.5 l between the oil changes.
I don’t know if is the oil or the fact that I change the oil every 10k.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Going to a 40 top number is unlikely to have any measurable impact on engine wear. The long block components will outlast the rest of the car regardless.
I don't disagree with your thinking.
But A 5w40w will offer better protection at his ambient temps. Plus it's much easier to find and cheaper.... The only real reason manufacturers have gone to a 30w is fuel economy, a CR engine with no dpf or scr is already well ahead of the curve.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
You can use whatever oil you want including high ash diesel oils like Driven DP40 and HPL. They are loaded with additives and you can extend the oil changes past 10k miles.

A 10w30 Diesel oil is actually heavier than many Euro 5w40 oils. It’s also an option an well as 15w40.

I’ve used CJ-4 10w30 in my stock TDI, Cruze and Canyon with DPF. Still waiting for my DPF to get plugged but it hasn’t happened yet.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Still waiting for my DPF to get plugged but it hasn’t happened yet.
CJ4 - you must have bought a ton of stock to still be using CJ4?
At any rate, I can't see how it would ever plug your dpf being it's rated for emissions equipment.
I've often thought about switching my 2012 to 5w40 (CK4) for several reasons, but with the recent change in the vehicles usage I only see one oil change every 10 months or so and isn't exactly breaking the bank running a 507 approved oil (Mobil).
But still, the thought persists....

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
CJ4 - you must have bought a ton of stock to still be using CJ4?
At any rate, I can't see how it would ever plug your dpf being it's rated for emissions equipment.
I've often thought about switching my 2012 to 5w40 (CK4) for several reasons, but with the recent change in the vehicles usage I only see one oil change every 10 months or so and isn't exactly breaking the bank running a 507 approved oil (Mobil).
But still, the thought persists....
I did buy a bunch of synthetic CJ-4 10w30 and 5w40 in 2015 and 2016 total of about 40+ gallons for a really cheap price. The sulphated ash is 67% higher with CJ-4 so theoretically it could shorten the life of the emissions system.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
The sulphated ash is 67% higher with CJ-4 so theoretically it could shorten the life of the emissions system.
It's been a long time since I looked at CJ4 oils but CK4 has a limit of 1 SAPS. I think the 507 (ACEA) limit is .8, a 20% difference. I have often wondered if this truly could be enough to make a measurable difference. Seems the thousands of gallons of fuel burned throughout the life of the engine would have more of an impact but I am no engineer.