Camshaft symptoms?

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I've driven my Passat TDI for 100,000 miles almost since new. I had the BSM replacement done at 50,000 miles and ive hung around these forums forever but it's been a while since I've actually logged in.
Recently as the weather has been cooling off on my way to work before the coolant idiot gauge reaches is due north I've noticed a significant stumbling in my engine. I am wondering if this is camshaft related.
The shutter really sounds like the engine is missing not just a minor stutter or stumble and I can see the RPM gauge dip and it feels like it is is misfiring I really don't know for sure . This is only at idle at stoplights before the engine is completely warm. After the engine is warmed up during acceleration just normal driving around I don't notice anything.
If this is a symptom of a camshaft beginning to fail I'd sure like to catch it before it gets worse and I'm looking for a bit of advice where to go from here thanks
David

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Your symptoms do sound like a camshaft on the way out. The best way to check 100% is to pull the valve cover and inspect the lobes, alternatively you can pull the rubber elbow leading to the intake manifold and run the engine.

A lumpy cam tends to have a bup-bup-bup sound coming from the intake.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Easiest way to check is to just pull the valve cover. New gasket is ~ $15.00.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I will agree that removing the valve cover will allow you to examine the damage to the cam, but just because the valve cover is removed is no reason to replace the valve cover gasket. They are very durable. Just don't pinch it when putting the valve cover in place.

The cam will often show significant cam wear in Southern climes, like Texas, Florida, Arizona, but the cooler Northern customers can find that a cam that is taken care of will last longer. The oil used makes a big difference and so can driving style. But the single thing you are looking for is a sharp edge of the cam lobe, especially on exhaust valves. If you feel a sharp edge, it's worn enough to consider replacement.

Feel free to call if you need more detail.

Frank

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks for the responses so far. Pulling the valve cover is not something that I want to do so I will have to consult my mechanic on this

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
I've driven my Passat TDI for 100,000 miles almost since new. I had the BSM replacement done at 50,000 miles and ive hung around these forums forever but it's been a while since I've actually logged in.
Recently as the weather has been cooling off on my way to work before the coolant idiot gauge reaches is due north I've noticed a significant stumbling in my engine. I am wondering if this is camshaft related.
The shutter really sounds like the engine is missing not just a minor stutter or stumble and I can see the RPM gauge dip and it feels like it is is misfiring I really don't know for sure . This is only at idle at stoplights before the engine is completely warm. After the engine is warmed up during acceleration just normal driving around I don't notice anything.
If this is a symptom of a camshaft beginning to fail I'd sure like to catch it before it gets worse and I'm looking for a bit of advice where to go from here thanks
David
I have the identical symptoms, to a tee. I don't think it's the camshaft. I only have 45,000 miles on the car, and everything has been done right on it, with no compromises, including approved 15w40 oil. I'm thinking glow plug or some sort of vacuum issue. Mine also completely disappears when warmed. The only commonality that I see is that you and I had our balance shafts replaced at the same place, and we live in the same climate. I find that it's a non issue, or less of an issue, if I triple glow before starting. My symptoms came out of the blue with NO lead up. Recently I replaced the coolant sensor, and there has been nothing else done to the car. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Interesting Dan. I have done 505.01 oil changes every 10,000 km. My glow plugs are the steel version. Perhaps if we can pinpoint a diagnosis we can get both vehicles repaired I'm not sure I can diy this.

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting Dan. I have done 505.01 oil changes every 10,000 km. My glow plugs are the steel version. Perhaps if we can pinpoint a diagnosis we can get both vehicles repaired I'm not sure I can diy this.
Had your codes read lately? I haven't as I've been keeping an eye on it and seeing if I can get some more intell on the situation.

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried something today: I glowed and started the car, and I got stumble. I immediately turned it off, reglowed it 3 times in succession and restarted it. No more stumble. Camshaft is not the leading in my best estimation. Still doing some research, but my guess is that it's something else.

frosz

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI 1.9 AFN -98 (Manual) ~480 000km Passat TDI 1.9 AVG -00 (Manual) ~170 000km Golf Variant 1.6 16v AZD -02 (Manual Petrol) ~220 000km
Anyone have a hint on the best obd11 app for iPhone and VW with a wifi dongle?
You wont get all the codes and adaptations with a generic OBD-scanner, you need VCDS or VAS 5054A.

There are new hand-held devices for VAG but I haven't tried them, don't know if they are any good.

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
David, it may be premature to say this, but I think I figured out what my issue was. The last 2 times that I filled up, I crossed into the States and topped up at the Shell in Blaine. That was when my running issues began, out of nowhere. I ran my last tank through to the dregs and my car was really unhappy; when it was almost completely empty I put in a fresh tank of Canadian diesel, and the problem seems to have completely abated. My guess is that I picked up a couple of tanks of bum fuel in Washington. I'll keep an eye on it, but for the past several days my car has been running like a champ, since my last fill. Fingers crossed.

SilverWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
David, it may be premature to say this, but I think I figured out what my issue was. The last 2 times that I filled up, I crossed into the States and topped up at the Shell in Blaine. That was when my running issues began, out of nowhere. I ran my last tank through to the dregs and my car was really unhappy; when it was almost completely empty I put in a fresh tank of Canadian diesel, and the problem seems to have completely abated. My guess is that I picked up a couple of tanks of bum fuel in Washington. I'll keep an eye on it, but for the past several days my car has been running like a champ, since my last fill. Fingers crossed.

Has the shudder gone away or are you still searching? I'm having the same problem.