Camshaft sensor change

Flagman

TDI
2005 TDI 5 speed BEW
My 2005 bew occasionally stumbled. The code showed a camshaft position sensor fault. I replaced it but still have the occasional stubble. It is less pronounced now though. And ideas?
Thanks

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
If it improved a bit after changing the sensor, my bet would be something to do with the connector, or the harness itself. You could have wiggled something where it make a little bit better contact than it did before.

Flagman

TDI
2005 TDI 5 speed BEW
Thanks for replying. It seems the connectors are either on or off and they fit tightly? I am wondering if I have another bad sensor and should be buying VW brand products?

Flagman

TDI
2005 TDI 5 speed BEW
Question: I was reading that after installation of a new cam sensor it has to be calibrated with a OBD reader? They call it case reading? Ever heard of that?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I'd go after the crank sensor. Same symptoms - easy to replace (9mm 12pt socket).

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
No calibration process for the cam sensor necessary. You will need to clear the fault code once installed but it will not cause problems if you don't (other than possibly a persistent CEL).

Found more than a couple of flaky crankshaft sensors on BEWs.
To mention a couple, one prevented a start in very cold weather and another would cause misfire above 3300 RPM.

Flagman

TDI
2005 TDI 5 speed BEW
That’s really helpful. I appreciate your information. Sounds like I probably should’ve invested in the VW brand sensor to start with the reason I replaced it is I got a fault of an intermittent camp position sensor air.

Flagman

TDI
2005 TDI 5 speed BEW
Interesting discovery: I noticed oil on my crank sensor. This most certainly would affect its signal. Has anyone experienced this? Where would this come from? My car with 70,000 original miles doesn’t appear to leak; or use oil?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
My '05 Golf has turned up both crank and camshaft position sensor codes. Implausible and intermittent. It also shows a vane position sensor fault. 'Signal too low'. I am going to have a peek at its wiring soon. For now I unplugged both sensors and plugged 'em back in and then fired him up. No crank/cam codes yet...but that is not what I'd call a thorough test. For sure I want to get after the vane position sensor. He is younger than yours Flagman... :)

Douglas

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Interesting discovery: I noticed oil on my crank sensor. This most certainly would affect its signal. Has anyone experienced this? Where would this come from? My car with 70,000 original miles doesn’t appear to leak; or use oil?
It had better have oil on it…at least the part that sticks into the crankcase.