camping at the 'fest

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
camping at the \'fest

Yes all the sites are designed for Trailers and have electrical hookups. Not sure how many people/tents are permitted per site though

tdi_guy

TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta TDI Sport Edition
camping at the \'fest

Finally registerd for the Fest today and booked my camping site at Wompatuck state park.
Im on site X7 in case anyone else wants to book a site near mine. Their phone number is 877-422-6762. Very affordable at $14.50 per nite for anyone that cannot afford a Hotel.
Radman,

I just checked the online reservation system and I thought you might like to know that site X7 still shows as available. I hope they sent you a written confirmation or something.

I also noticed that the map doesn't show any showers, only restrooms. Do you have info that would tell me otherwise?

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
camping at the \'fest

No info on showers etc. I have the brochure at my house and will check tonite. As for the online system it is not updated. When I called I asked for several other sites that were already booked. Dont trust the map as it does not seem to get updated. Reserve ASAP if you want to be sure to get a spot. Do it by phone.

tdi_guy

TDI
camping at the \'fest

I did actually call to reserve by phone and was told that X7 was still available. I reserved X4 which is across the road from X7.

I assume you are in the non-electrical area? Anyway, just double check to make sure that everything is in order, as it would really suck if your site (or even my site) was double booked and when we arrive, someone else is already set up.

BTW, apparently each restroom location has showers.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
camping at the \'fest

Thanks, Ill call today! I do have a confirmation number.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
camping at the \'fest

Okay got this cleared up. For some reason they have me on Y7 instead of X7. I distincly remember asking for X7. Anyways Im on Y7 for future reference.

tdi_guy

TDI
camping at the \'fest

Glad to hear that all is well with the reservation.

I got home today to find a message from the campsite reservation place stating that I needed to call them. Turns out they misunderstood the expiry date on my Credit card so the transaction wasn't going through. Since the reservation wasn't "complete" I was able to change my site without the $10 fee. So I figured I would change it so that we are once again neighbors. We are on site Y8.

Anybody else that will be camping at the 'fest, let's try and book up the entire 'Y' road with TDIs!!

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
camping at the \'fest

Well I just reserved Y10/Y9 for the 3 nights. Those 2 sites are the same. $45 for 3 nights isn't bad. See you all there.
Dan

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
camping at the \'fest

Cool
So far we have Y7, Y8, Y9 and Y10 Booked for TDI's

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
camping at the \'fest

Just to clear things up Y10 and Y9 are the same site. The maps are just messed up.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
camping at the \'fest

Yeah I noticed there was no Y9 on the map. Keep on booking guys. We need enough soot to kill off the mosquitoes

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
camping at the \'fest

Hi,

This is tempting! The wife is apprehensive since we'd be doing a tent instead of the lap of luxury. She thinks it will be too hot. Any comments? I thought it might be pretty chilly at night. I wonder if I should try to rent a pop-up trailer from MWR?

Take Care,

Scott

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
camping at the \'fest

It is early September so I dont think it will be too hot. Should actually be quite comfortable at that time of year. Bring a small space heater if worried about cold nights.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
camping at the \'fest

Hi,

We're currently saving for a trip to Texas around Thanksgiving or Christmas. That means I'm not willing to spend the $300+ for hotels at the Fest.
I'll need that money for hotels on the way to Texas. I looked into renting a popup camper. The price isn't bad; but they weigh 2,500-lbs. I'm not interested in towing something that large/heavy in the crazy traffic that's bound to plague New England over that weekend. Plus, there will be other "incidentals" to make the camper usable.

So, it seems my best option for actually making my first Fest is to drive up alone and camp. I could rent or borrow a tent. Oddly enough, I think I could drop the back seat and sleep in the back of the car. Can any of you experienced campers forsee a problem I might experience with that plan? I've only camped twice since I was a kid. I was in someone elses tent both times.

Suggestions?

I think I need to save up and buy a teardrop camper at some point in the future.

Thanks,

Scott

tdi_guy

TDI
camping at the \'fest

Scott,

Camping is no big deal. If you can get a tent all you need to do is either use a sleeping bag or some blankets on some form of underpad (foam, air matttress, etc.) and you are good to go. Bring a cooler with some food to tide you over between main meals (main meals can be restaurant or whatever) and that's it. A couple changes of clothes and you are all set. I am sure your wife would enjoy roughing it for a couple days.

That is how my wife and I will be doing it. We are coming down from North of Toronto. We plan to take a couple days to get there and sleep in a tent at various campgrounds along the way. Our meals will be at restaurants and we will only be sleeping at the campsite. We plan to be 'out and about' the rest of the time. We aren't big outdoors people so if we can do it, so can you and your wife
. Besides, it will be lots of fun.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
camping at the \'fest

Dave, I will be leaving from Montreal Friday morning. If you want we can follow each other down depending on your schedule and route you plan to take

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
camping at the \'fest

Just looked at the Map, kinda out of your way to come through Montreal ooops

There are other Toronto guys that may be Caravaning down, check with Suds or Tdimeister.

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
camping at the \'fest

ZING! I just reserved Y6
Howdy neighbor! site Y005 now spoken for.....willing to share to defray expenses -- HA! the charge for 2 nights is a whopping $32.50

seriously, there is easily room for 2 TDI's and its occupants at each site....PM me if you wanna co-habitate on this camp site. I have it for Fri & Sat nights.

I envision needing little more than a tent, chairs and a cooler....

http://www.mass.gov/dem/recreate/camping.htm

T

tdi_guy

TDI
camping at the \'fest

Jake, what I said was meant as a bare minimum
. I realize that there is more involved if you want to actually spend your time at the site, but since there is so much to see and do I don't envision spending much time during the days at the site. Obviously beverages are a must have for the evenings
around the campfire(s). Anyway, I am sure that everyone knows what they will need.

Radman, we are actually leaving Toronto on Wednesday morning and plan to arrive at the campsite on Thursday afternoon, so a convoy/caravan is not likely to happen for us.

Anyway, looks like we will have a number TDIers on Y road and that should be a good time in itself

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
camping at the \'fest

no doubt
for one thing, 'the bare minimum' doesn't include the firewood I'll bring along, but the #1 thing is not to bring any more than can easily fit in the car since, as you say, we probably won't be spending all that much time hanging at the campsite; leaving stuff there unattended likely isn't a good option.

I do see myself asking someone staying at the hotel for the brief use of their shower on Sat afternoon/evening...

marshmallows anyone?

PS "actually leaving Toronto on Wednesday morning and plan to arrive at the campsite on Thursday afternoon" ....isn't Toronto is a one day drive at worst?....imagine you have another stop planned along the way.....

tdi_guy

TDI
camping at the \'fest

Jake,
Toronto is about a 9-10 hour drive, but we plan on crossing the border in Kingston and then stopping in the Adirondacks for one night and then tooling along through Vermont down to Braintree. Basically, we're taking the scenic route to get there and then on the way home (Sunday) we are taking I-90 to Rochester, NY and then the new ferry back to Toronto. We would like to get one day of rest (Monday) before having to go back to work
on Tuesday. Not to mention, traffic is going to suck in Southern Ontario on Monday.

Looking forward to putting faces to all the names

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
camping at the \'fest

When I talked to the folks when I booked my site. They said that my site Y10 was the biggest. So if any new people would want to share it, they are more them welcome to. This camping is starting to sound like alot of fun.
Dan

SSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
none :-(
camping at the \'fest

Hey Dan would it be cool to share your site or is it already taken? I would split the cost of course. I have a room reserved but money this summer has been tight so I want to cancel the reservation.
Matt

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
camping at the \'fest

I have mine for fri/sat/sun. Hmmm interesing, though, I would need sunday nite. I have look at what I am taking with. Get back to ya.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
camping at the \'fest

Matt-I already have someone else shareing the site with me. You could prolly ask someone else to join you or you could join someone else. sorry dan