Cam Seals

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Beater Passat. Real piece
Has anyone done cam seals themselves? I have a decent oil leak which I thought was the valve cover gasket. Replaced that its still leaking. Leaning toward cam Seals
Car is a 2012

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I have a small leak somewhere on the back of the engine and though it might be my cam seal, but I just did the timing belt and the seal was fine, no evidence of it leaking. Mine does have the updated seal with the recessed face which I believe is teflon and the seal that came with my kit looks like a standard seal so I left it alone. Does not look to be anything special to remove and replace though.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If the car is still covered uner the dieselgate warranty, Let the dealership cover it.

The camshaft seals are specifically called out as covered on the second page of parts.

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought my car last year. i looked it up doesn't appear to have been involved with the buyback/warranty deal

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Call a dealer with the vin and ask them. It’s easy for them to find out if the car had the emissions fix and at what mileage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Call a dealer with the vin and ask them. It’s easy for them to find out if the car had the emissions fix and at what mileage.
seconded, dealerships the best bet for verifying.

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
I researched again today and bam! it does have a extended warranty!!

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
Called Dealership said i need to have a CEL on for VW to cover the cost, a basic oil leak wont get covered

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
That doesn't sound right. The warranty says the long block and all attachments are covered. I would think the head is an integral part of that. You should call VW directly, or a different dealer.

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea I called 1 more said cam seals are covered but depends on the part # my car has, because there are 2. 1 is covered 1 is not. They said they'd have to tear it down to see. Didnt really make sense to me. So 50/50 is gonna be covered by this dealership