Cam plate axle

JoTDI

TDI
ALH
So I swapped my injection pump plunger side from a 10mm to an 11mm and I was getting bad performance and then my car stopped running, upon opening up the injection pump I noticed that my axle is in a few pieces, what could’ve caused this to happen and what should I do differently upon reassembly?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
What do you mean by axle? The plunger?
Chances are you dropped the shim and now the IP is fubarred…. Your gonna need a new pump to you. Possibly you might need injectors too in case debris got down that far….maybe….
Post a picture if you can.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, usually breaks due to an error in re-assembly.

The plunger and the cast high-pressure end it fits into are a precision-matched set, so at the very least there's a new complete high-pressure end in your future, unfortunately. :(

JoTDI

TDI
ALH
What do you mean by axle? The plunger?
Chances are you dropped the shim and now the IP is fubarred…. Your gonna need a new pump to you. Possibly you might need injectors too in case debris got down that far….maybe….
Post a picture if you can.
Axle as in the thing that drives the cam plate, I’m not sure how to add photos, I am 100% sure that no shims were missing or misplaced

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Where did it break? I'm guessing you're referring to the main shaft with the sprocket that has two extensions that drive the rubber that drive the cam plate and the extensions broke?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If I'm remembering correctly that "x" is actually hard rubber. Never heard of one coming apart.

JoTDI

TDI
ALH
If I'm remembering correctly that "x" is actually hard rubber. Never heard of one coming apart.
The one that came with my car, and the 2 extra I have all are metal, the only rubber in the pump is the O rings

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Wow. I'd have bet you a used 01M transmission that it was rubber. Makes sense that it isn't since even hard rubber's going to have some give and have an effect on timing. I guess it's the black anodizing that threw me. I don't mind being wrong but I hate disseminating bad info.

Any damage to the mating parts? Just speculating here but seeing as it's a positive displacement pump pushing liquid I wonder if something plugged up in the pump head causing a pressure spike.