Cam ? on '04 PD 247,000 miles

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
rcracer said:
ok thanks :eek:

_
dxdude, you seem to be very worried about your PD. Asking Qs around here and weighing your statistical chances of your engine blowing up will only serve to give you an ulcer. inspect the cam/lifters every 30 k miles and put some $$ aside for a possible repair. That's all you can do..

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
dieselfueler said:
Ok,
I've got an '04 pd with 255,000 mile still on it's OE cam and lifters.
That is reassuring. I am at 92,000 and all is well. Getting ready to oeder my deluxe timing belt kit!

--Nate

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Those look pretty darn good compared to some.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
My worst one looks a bit better than 1E

I can wait a bit and I want to so that I can see how things shake out in the next year or so.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
jasonTDI said:
Those look pretty darn good compared to some.
Yes but what exactly is acceptable wear? Certainly not even 1E... and its not even the worst one...

I wonder how long I can go on mine, and if VWOA is going to ever fix this mess... If so I want reimbursement for the repairs I do now at 39-4xk. :(

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You would think that the least VW would do is sell the parts for the camshaft/lifter replacement at cost. That would be a start.

--Nate

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
PDJetta said:
That is reassuring. I am at 92,000 and all is well. Getting ready to oeder my deluxe timing belt kit!

--Nate
157K and counting.. and I keep an eye on another close to 180K now.
failures seem to be random, which makes the case of a manufacturing defect more possible. How many of the failed PDs were polish and how many German ?

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Mines got 160k and I think I have a bad cam now trying to get dam valve cover off wont come off throttle body in the way.

What am I missing to remove valve cover ? I seen in pictures others left throttle body on.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe you have to remove the EGR valve (3 allen head bolts) and possibly the upper timing belt cover to get the cover to clear.

--Nate

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
06' car, it's likely a BRM. They are different.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
Mines got 160k and I think I have a bad cam now trying to get dam valve cover off wont come off throttle body in the way.

What am I missing to remove valve cover ? I seen in pictures others left throttle body on.
The cam sprocket has to be in a certain position so the tabs on that don't bind on the valve cover tabs when you lift valve cover off. IIRC there can't be any tabs in the 1-3 o'clock position, as you look at the engine from belt side.