Cam Follower Rape

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Over the years, we have had a few cam followers come our way. One I will always remember was supposed to be a nitride cam follower for the Pumpe Duese engine. It was shipped in a nicely sealed container. What was claimed to be a black nitride cam follower was PAINTED BLACK! The paint would scrape off with a pen knife. Not even a good try at a fake...

Another we saw foisted on the unknowing public came of several years ago, when about 800,000 overstock cam followers from the S. African VW plant, intended for the MK1 were dumped on the market. They are the same size as an ALH or AHU engine, but they are only good for about 50 hp. They wear out prematurely. The cup around the plunger is only marked 'INA'. No part number to show what it fits, as they were supposed to be installed in factory engines... no real need to stamp them, was there? That's the way it was done. But now, we see these regularly failing in somewhere around 50-100k miles.

So, here we go again. We see yet another junk cam follower. Here are the tops of an engine that didn't make 100k.

As you can see, almost all the cams were not spinning and most have divots in the faces of the followers, which causes them to make tapping noise and overheat. The reverse sides are not remarkable, unless you look closely..

The cups are completely unmarked. Or to put it another way, no manufacture name usually means no quality. I believe these are Chinese crap. Further look shows manufacture method that is mechanical hammering to seat the cup.

Compared to the INA cam follower, you will see two differences.

The Name, manufacturing plant code letter and the part number, clearly stamped into the cup, and

A properly welded bead to attach the cup to the body of the cam follower.

We have sold about 90,000 cam followers with virtually no failures. Comparatively, we have seen very cheap cam followers, like the S. African ones that sold for $1.50- $2.00 ea., and resold at 300% profit. The Chinese cam followers are much the same and you can expect the same shortened life expectancy.

If you pay for a good cam follower, in my opinion, it should be an INA follower. It can be a 'real' one, stamped INA, and it's still probably good to go into a 1.6 N/A engine. But if it's not marked F-46516-72, it should not be used in an ALH or AHU. If it's stamped F-46516-83, it's for the PD motor.

Don't get fooled and buy junk that looks like the part.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Thanks Frank. Excellent data points and visuals.

This kind of goes along with my last year's project of restoring my 1971 Super Beetle. Unless one buys used parts, just about every part you can buy for an older beetle is coming out of China. Ever seen an ignition switch only last two starts? How about aftermarket fenders that have mounting points and bumper bracket cut outs that are an inch off? I could go on.....:(

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I don't like is competing against the price offset, when we know, for example a good valve from a bad one; cam followers, pistons, rods, cranks, cylinder heads...

One of the best known purveyors of CRAP became 6% of our annual business for several years; all due to rebuilds done with bad parts that trashed engines. Now, the number of vendors have increased for engines damaged by junk parts. These parts illustrated are exactly that. In the same engine with bad lifters, poorly set nozzles, junk cam followers which ruined a cam... a cracked piston...we wouldn't be working on this one had it been done right the first time.

I'd like to know what exhaust valve is marked 'N-184'. One of our customers bought this particular valve to have not only one, but two valves in back-to-back rebuilds for the same engine, break off just below the keeper rings within minutes of engine startup. First time, he blamed himself. Second time, he knew it wasn't his fault and called me. Bad parts caused him the anguish of rebuilding the same engine 3 times.

Our customers will sometimes opt-out for 'the same part, only cheaper', on our parts lists for a cylinder head or engine. Problem is, it's not the same quality part and we don't want to get into warranty issues by tangling up with someone else's CRAP. We will not warranty the optional part, of course, but that doesn't mean it can't tear up the rest of the engine we built.

We are not declaring 'EVERY CHINESE PART IS CRAP'. We do trust certain manufactured parts from certain Far East vendors. Even that can be an issue,"Well, they were good the last time...", 50 Shades of Quality Fade.

Vendors can fall into the 'race to the bottom'. When that happens, the company's goal becomes simply a matter of profit. I'd rather be known for quality.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
"Fifty shades of quality fade" :D love it Frank!

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
LOL I have a diesel generator someone gave me that had dropped a valve. Whole motor is either a Chinese or Indian knockoff of a Yanmar ~400cc single. I figured what the hell, found a replacement valve and the valve came to me with the notch for the keeper totally wrong. I chucked it up in the lathe and made some...adjustments with a tool steel bit, which surprised me because you'd think a carbide insert would be needed.
I've reassembled the entire engine and I'm waiting for a day when my mood can take watching this thing self destruct in a few minutes of running.
Taking bets on how long it'll run.

pfiermka

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black TDI
Good write up Frank!
You think you can trust all vendors on here and then this happens.
These are mine, purchased from a vendor on here. Makes you wonder who you can trust to give you quality parts anymore. I won’t name the vendor but I am finished buying anything from them!
My only suggestion is to check EVERY part you get as best you can and educate yourself.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
LOL I have a diesel generator someone gave me that had dropped a valve. Whole motor is either a Chinese or Indian knockoff of a Yanmar ~400cc single. I figured what the hell, found a replacement valve and the valve came to me with the notch for the keeper totally wrong. I chucked it up in the lathe and made some...adjustments with a tool steel bit, which surprised me because you'd think a carbide insert would be needed.
I've reassembled the entire engine and I'm waiting for a day when my mood can take watching this thing self destruct in a few minutes of running.
Taking bets on how long it'll run.
Couple years back I bought a generator, 1993 Onan/Cummins 7.5kW with a Kubota diesel. Has about 670 hours. These engines will run a good 20k hours. No one seems to know how long the generator heads last as there's no known failures(?). NOTHING beats quality!

If there's a fair amount of labor OR if a failing part could cause a lot of expensive repairs I will ONLY go with quality!

I'm wondering if I really "follow" the follower stuff here- ah, hm, sorry, couldn't resist tossing out a PUN:D Thanks for providing the data, Frank!

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Mike,
I was told some time ago from one of the moderators that my 'best contribution' to the TDIClub was C.R.A.P.; Chinese Replacement Auto Parts. I don't expect CRAP to make the acronym dictionary, probably because it's not P.C. (politically correct is an accepted acronym) I also hope that I can do better than just crap for my most noted achievement.

Ok, I just entered CRAP in the web site, abbreviations.com. It behooves the question why such a long word to describe something very short. Not sure why they didn't call their site abrv.com. That would have made perfect sense.

Currently, 'Citizens Raging Against Phones' is abrv's #1 CRAP acronym. You can vote to make CRAP as describing bad auto parts the most likely version of the acronym. Check out abbreviation.com/ CRAP and vote.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
It looks like your auto parts definition got censored, or else it isn't open for public viewing yet.

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Ironically I just warrantied my very first black INA lifter (that I can remember) in 12 years. That's a pretty good rate, stick to the good stuff. Good post Frank!

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
how strange... we just got a nitride lifter that the plunger was not installed properly and the small spring fell out somewhere. It's the first one in many years we found as kinda a failure. If we put the little spring back in, I'm sure it's fine.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Hey allen,

Thanks for the consideration to vote. I wonder how many it will take to beat out Citizens Raging Against Phones?

You'd think they would have started by censoring crap. It might show up in abbreviation.com eventually.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Yet, on Jeopardy last night the answer to a question about the gambling game that uses dice, was ..... "CRAPS".