Calipers, caliper carriers, bushings recommendation

Brian O'Dell

TDI
2005 GLS Wagon 5spd
Replacing both rear calipers to fix dragging rear passenger side parking brake. Already replaced the parking brake cables. There are no other problems with my front or rear brakes other than the parking brake issue. Car brakes fine, pedal feels fine. Pads and rotors are less than a year old. Calipers, caliper carriers are original. Car has a lil rust and corrosion from living on the east coast. Car is a daily driver in Pacific north west. Occasional exposure to salt but lost of moisture, snow, etc.

So here are my questions;

1. Any reason other than $ not to get OEM calipers?

2. Would you replace caliper carriers as well?

3. Would you consider caliper bushing kits?

4. Would you replace the front calipers as well?

Time is my biggest factor I have access to a lift. So if I should prematurely replace the front calipers I’d rather get it over with. But if they’ll work for another 5 years 100k

thoughts?

Thanks!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Replacing both rear calipers to fix dragging rear passenger side parking brake. Already replaced the parking brake cables. There are no other problems with my front or rear brakes other than the parking brake issue. Car brakes fine, pedal feels fine. Pads and rotors are less than a year old. Calipers, caliper carriers are original. Car has a lil rust and corrosion from living on the east coast. Car is a daily driver in Pacific north west. Occasional exposure to salt but lost of moisture, snow, etc.

So here are my questions;

1. Any reason other than $ not to get OEM calipers?

2. Would you replace caliper carriers as well?

3. Would you consider caliper bushing kits?

4. Would you replace the front calipers as well?

Time is my biggest factor I have access to a lift. So if I should prematurely replace the front calipers I’d rather get it over with. But if they’ll work for another 5 years 100k

thoughts?

Thanks!
1) It depends on the condition of your OEM calipers. Honestly, if they are in good shape, aren't flaking off chunks of rust (surface rust is ok), if you want to tsave some serious coin, I'd opt for rebuilding them yourself. If you have access to a lift and air for the front calipers, it's wicked easy to pop the pistons out, check the bore of the caliper, install a new seal, boot and piston, boom, done. It would probably take 10-15 min more than just swapping calipers out. Either way the caliper is out of the car.

For the rears, you don't even need air. The parking brake mechanism is internal to the piston, and you can just ratchet the parking brake lever on the caliper until the piston pops out. It's just a ball-type screw in there. If that doesn't work, you can use air for the rears too. The rear re-builds are slightly more involved than the fronts, but it's not hard at all. There are kits out there for the front and rear re-builds.

I think reman calipers are hit or miss depending on the rigor of the quality control. I've seen some leak out of the box, I've seen some last. But they are usually a good chunk of $$.

2) If you're replacing, I would go ahead and replace everything. It's your brakes, it's your safety. It's cheap insurance...but you can inspect these before you decide

3) Yes

4) In my case, my passenger parking brake was starting to hang, even after a caliper replace. My plan was to just re-build the passenger rear. Then a couple days later, the RR caliper blew a seal. I made the executive decision, at 250k, I'd rebuild all 4 corners. Some people will say motor on and re-build when it's needed, but I find it easier while I'm in the mindset to get something done, to do it all, for peace of mine.

I would never do 1 though, if I was doing the RR, I'd do the LR too. If was doing the LF, I'd do the RF too.

As well, gives you the opportunity to bleed all 4 corners instead of "just" bleeding the one you replace. Dirty fluid+clean fluid I'm not much a fan of.

Also, if you end up going the rebuild route, get new bleed screws when you do. I learned this the hard way. Got all done the rebuild and bleed, went to test everything out, and I was leaking out of the front 2 screws. I popped them out and they were mushroomed beyond useability. Ended up having to scramble in the dark late at night, luckily the auto parts place close had a couple, but I basically had to push more fluid through a second time. Luckily I have a air tank that I can use for pressure bleeding, works pretty slick.

Brian O'Dell

TDI
2005 GLS Wagon 5spd
Thanks Krash,

Follow up Q’s

1. Is there a different bushing set you’d recommend?

2. I’ve never flushed/bled the system on this car. Other than topping of the reservoir and pumping the brakes I’m starting with zero knowledge on the procedure. What specialty tools would you recommend for this job?

Thanks again

Brian

Brian O'Dell

TDI
2005 GLS Wagon 5spd
Anyone have any feedback on re-manufactured Bremmen calipers by ECS? Probably doing OEM in the front and was considering doing that in the rear. But ECS recommended these.

Thanks for any feedback.