California Modding? mk6 vs mk7?

4Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Can they pull like my ALH and be CARB compliant? How to? How much power?

What about the warranties on the mk7? Void?

Stock mk7 is not too impressive.

Thanks!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If you want to do substantial power mods, the mk6 ea189 is a superior platform for those.

4Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Soooo....what's up with the DPF on the MK6?

Can I make 250HP with that in place?

You guys gutting it?

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Maybe Kerma can help you. They are tuning with the DPF in place. I don't think they make 250hp though.

4Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Yeah, they said they had solutions for anything I throw at them. Just wanted to see what the general thought was here regarding years...it was all about the ALH back in the day.

Sounds like the consensus here is that the 15s are "good enough" power-wise and the warranty is just too juicy to risk....and they are counting ECU flashes?

I was thinking about getting a "new" TDI...but I like my tuned 2000 more than the stock 2015.

Basic tuning on a mk6 is just: Tune and turbo and air/exhaust? Nozzles are not worth it on a common rail?

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
On the common rail, you need upgraded injectors if you want more than 260hp. They are expensive too, in the neighborhood of $2,000 a set.

I'd say that you are limited to a stage 3 tune with a cr170 turbo if you need to keep the DPF. Then you need to figure out how to make the egr still work. Will be around 170hp to the wheels at best.

Again, probably just easier to move...

Last edited:

4Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Again, probably just easier to move...
Ha, yeah...I know what you're saying. Open space, water...the list could go on...

But in 2025 my ALH is smog free...so I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Ive been out of the loop a little, those specks sound great. How about reliability?

I hear the mk7 (engine) has made significant improvements in various areas.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Just go buy a used Porsche boxster. Tdis are cool but if you want to make power, just go buy it.
Also 2 grand for injection on a alh to make 270+? Right!!!!!

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Buy a 335d. Find a shop that will cover some “bases.” Whammo!

And also, hey there. Didn’t know we had a member in Claremont. I’m in Pomona.

4Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Just go buy a used Porsche boxster. Tdis are cool but if you want to make power, just go buy it. !

Buy a 335d. Find a shop that will cover some “bases.” Whammo!

And also, hey there. Didn’t know we had a member in Claremont. I’m in Pomona.
I've actually been thinking about that 335d, but I'm worried about the up keep cost on a 80k mile BMW.

Everyone says it would just be a money pit...but on the other hand...so is modding.

Any word on the reliability of a 335d from 2011-14?

And hello neighbor! 909 represent! :) I think there are a few of us around here holding on to our old TDIs. Your ride looks like a beast! Have you found any good TDI mechanics nearby to help?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
335d is '09-11. Most of them were made in '11. As far as reliability and repairs go, the drivetrains are pretty robust. Occasional injector failures, you need to be sure to do a transmission service every 60K miles or so, harmonic balancers can fail, but otherwise they're good. Interior electrics and body: well, it's a BMW. But if you get a base version they're actually pretty simple cars.

I can tell you that the 335d is in an entirely different dimension than any 4 cylinder TDI. Fast, silent, comfortable.

4Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I can tell you that the 335d is in an entirely different dimension than any 4 cylinder TDI. Fast, silent, comfortable.
Sweet, that's about what I thought on reliability...my better half is a little more worried.

And I didn't know the difference between the 328d and the 335d. Just looked at the specs...wow! I might need to keep any eye out for one!

No Wagons though? What's the best option for that?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
328d is the F30 platform, successor to the e90 that is the 335d. 328d is a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine with 180/280, where the 335d has 265/425 torque. And real compound turbos. I have a mild tune in my 335d with all emissions intact and projected power is 330/505.

The F30 platform that makes up the 328d is known as the 3-series where BMW lost its soul. Reviewers didn't like that gen 3-series. I've driven a couple and they're OK, but nothing special. I feel the e90 is a better car with a far better drivetrain. Looks better (to me at least) too.

There is a 328d Wagon. Only available in x-drive (AWD), and they were crazy expensive new. But the good thing about BMWs is they depreciate like crazy.

4Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
all emissions intact and projected power is 330/505.

The F30 platform that makes up the 328d is known as the 3-series where BMW lost its soul. Reviewers didn't like that gen 3-series.
Thanks for the succinct reply. Very helpful.

Sounds like this is the most powerful diesel sedan out of the box? How are your MPG's?

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
4Gman, I'm curious, what is your objective with a TDI? High hp for light to light, dependability, good fuel economy?
I have a 2014 JSW, 6 sp with a Malone 2.0 tune. I put it on a Dynojet Dyno at a speed shop in Modesto and registered 170 hp with 302 tq. I average around 48 MPG up here on mostly two lane twisty roads or on the highway at the speed limit + 10 MPH.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I’ve fallen in love with my 16’ A6 TDI platform. Have you considered that route and a tuning box maybe?

4Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
4Gman, I'm curious, what is your objective with a TDI? High hp for light to light, dependability, good fuel economy?
I have a 2014 JSW, 6 sp with a Malone 2.0 tune.
Range/MPG, dependability, torque, and ease/costs of repair. I mostly drive for MPG but like the power when I need it. The feel of the low end torque is great too, slow feels fast. I'd be happy with the power you have.

Also dig the manual trans. only VW TDIs have. Which the 15's might be the last of...ever. And, from a "Vee-Dub in da' house" stand point: they are straight up scandalous yo! And I need all the street creed I can get, I'm getting old.

I’ve fallen in love with my 16’ A6 TDI platform. Have you considered that route and a tuning box maybe?
Haven't really looked to far into Audi cause the A3 specs looks similar to the VW. What are the specs on the A6? Would a tuning box effect warranty?

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
4GMan, I need the power and torque because I tow my Polaris ACE on a trailer up over the Sierra Nevada's to go riding (combined weight of ATV and trailer 1,000 lbs). The friends I caravan with all have newer TDI pickups, so that they have me by probably 150 hp, and don't travel any slower just because I'm with them, but using my 6 sp and the power and tq I stay right on their ass and they can't believe it. And my only modification is the Malone tune, so if you're interested in a reasonably priced hp/tq increase I suggest that you contact Mark Malone. He's certainly treated me right.

erickim33

TDI
2015 Audi A3 8P & 8V & VW Passat SEL & Jetta BEW
Hello,

335d made only in 2009-2011, the maintenance (huge list) cost will be much higher but rewarding torque! Varying packages that come equipped makes the differences between these vehicles. 328d N47 are great, similar to TDI (reliability & efficiency but not the xDrive) but noted less torque than 335d M57.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I seriously doubt a 328d will have the same maintenance and repair costs as a TDI. Drivetrain aside, it's s significantly more complex car.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
have put down 200whp reliably through the stock DPF on the 328D. ea189 can barely match that with a custom manifold + aftermarket turbo and a fair bit of work (while keeping dpf).

BMW will be in a different maintenance bracket entirely, 335d is a bit old school interior wise but they definitely drive well. They'll make around 280-300whp through the dpf.