Status
Not open for further replies.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
BioPassat said:
Thank God you guys left! I just wish more people would leave! :eek:

If California is such a crappy place to live, then why the heck are there STILL so many people living here?

It must be the weather...
It is. They're like lizards, they can't survive if it dips below 50F for more than a few hours.

I mean really Parkas for 46F "winter" nights? That's the low in October where I come from. We don't see negative temps here, but gimme a break! (and no it wasn't a few folks, it was everybody on the freaking boardwalk. All the out of towners were in tshirts and jeans, the locals were dolled up as if it were alaska).

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
kcfoxie said:
It is. They're like lizards, they can't survive if it dips below 50F for more than a few hours.

I mean really Parkas for 46F "winter" nights? That's the low in October where I come from.
That's the HIGH in October where I come from! lol

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
aja8888 said:
John:

Santa Barbra built thier own salt water desalinization plat in the mid 80's drought as they are not on the aquaduct system and their reservoir dried up. I suppose San Diego can do the same too:)

Actually, San Diego had a desalinzation plant about 1960 or 1961!! The Navy took the plant to Gitmo in Cuba. No Joke! The Cubans made a show of cutting off the water supply to Gitmo and the Navy took the desal. plant to Gitmo.

Now we are looking at building a desal plant next to the Encina Power Plant in Carlsbad. It will use cooling water from the power plant to supply drinking water by a reverse osmosis process. If that works out, then the next step is to use the cooling water from the San Onofre Nuclear plant for more drinking water.

Quite an expensive process, but much better than no water supply at all.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
kcfoxie said:

I mean really Parkas for 46F "winter" nights? That's the low in October where I come from. We don't see negative temps here, but gimme a break! (and no it wasn't a few folks, it was everybody on the freaking boardwalk. All the out of towners were in teeshirts and jeans, the locals were dolled up as if it were alaska).
I DO get so tired of the California BASHING by ignorant folks, mostly from the South. It really is too bad that you do not realize just how vibrant and powerful the economy of California is. There are 6 or 7 countries in the world with a larger, more powerful economy than California. When it comes to cars, California has been the leader for decades.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
john.jackson9213 said:
It really is too bad that you do not realize just how vibrant and powerful the economy of California is. There are 6 or 7 countries in the world with a larger, more powerful economy than California.
Have you got your State "I.O.U." yet... I mean tax return?

I won't even entertain the "Car part" of the statement.

LMAO!

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
john.jackson9213 said:
Idaho is a smaller car market than Tijuana or Swaziland. What is the issue??
Issue? No issues, we just prefer to keep it that way!

2008 BEST CITIES
No. 4: Boise, Idaho

By Amy Bickers, Associate Editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance
July 2008

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH TECH
Population: 568,086
Population Growth Since 2000: 18.2%
Percentage of Workforce in Creative Class:
33.2%
Cost-of-Living Index: 95.5 (100 being national average)
Median Household Income: $49,833
Income Growth Since 2000: 16.6%

Those in search of classy entertainment may be surprised. Says Susan Thayer, who relocated four years ago from Albany, Ore., to run sales for Episciences, which makes Epionce skin products: "The city has evolved into a magnet for the arts." She and her spouse, Terry, frequent the theater, as well as Boise's own symphony, opera and dance companies.
When they're not casting a line or taking in a show, a growing number of Boisians work for local high-tech businesses, the fruits of which make up the state's biggest exports. Micron Technology and Hewlett-Packard are the Boise Valley's two largest employers. But the area also cradles smaller technology and e-commerce firms, which come to make the most of low business costs -- about a third less than in California or Washington.

Employers know they'll find a high proportion of college graduates here (37%, compared with the national average of 27%) and that new hires will find plenty of affordable housing. Explore Boise's eclectic mix of old and new neighborhoods and you'll find homes with a median price of $235,000.

The average work commute is 18 minutes.

For those in search of a small-but-happening feel, the burgeoning suburb of Eagle is the place to go. Lloyd Mahaffey, previously an executive at Honeywell, Apple Computer and Verifone, moved to the former farming town in 2004, hoping to find a laid-back place where his kids could hunt and play tennis while he dabbled in winemaking and developed real estate.
Eagle's soil tests perfectly for the cultivation of red-wine grapes. Now Mahaffey is developing ten homes reminiscent of Italian villas, each with its own 4-acre vineyard. After visiting him in Eagle, several friends are planning to relocate to the area. Be advised: "When you first arrive, you have to downshift and adjust to a more relaxed pace," says Mahaffey.

And to keep this on track, All city and state diesel vehicles run Rapeseed Biodiesel (B20 RME) grown locally, Biodiesel is sold at local fuel stations (B20 RME), and should I mention we have always been able to buy diesels without big brother telling use what is best for us?

LOL
DB

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
All the people living in other states wish they had the same economy and the Calif weather, how could you even dare to compare the tundra Idaho to Calif, please be real, besides having the 7th largest economy in the whole WORLD, , this is a state that has all you ask for and more, rivers, lakes, snow, desserts, oceans, national parks, mountains, and the most cultural diverse state as well, Calif will always outshine any other state period, all I read here is jelousy about this beautiful state,, next time please read up get the facts on it before you even intend to bash it.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
hawaiis good for warm year round weather, but dont even think about trying to start a bussness, our new stat moto is the

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
hawaiis good for warm year round weather, but dont even think about trying to start a bussness, our new stat moto is the no

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
My state's better than your state, yeah, yeah, yeah... Blah, blah, blah.

Shall we move on now?

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Cali's government sucks the life out

visionlogic said:
One day I'll visit Perfectfornia, to see all the wonderful things the perfecticians and perfectocrats have so carefully crafted... and then join all the other burro riders for a scenic plod along the Pacific Coast Dirtway.
Let me know when you're up for it. I'd be happy to invade and pollute their air with my 'dirty' diesel car, especially in wine country ;) !! CA seems to always be the first to pee in everybody's pool when it comes to having fun with car customization (think C.A.R.B regulations and their influence on the EPA, which pees in the pool even more than CARB :mad:!)

But Hinton's right - Bio standards will encourage the mass production and mass offering of Biodiesel. And until they come up with something that can withstand the 'harsh' environment of being underground, always in contact with moisture, we will continue to find USTs that leak.

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
MAXRPM said:
All the people living in other states wish they had the same economy and the Calif weather, how could you even dare to compare the tundra Idaho to Calif, please be real, besides having the 7th largest economy in the whole WORLD, , this is a state that has all you ask for and more, rivers, lakes, snow, desserts, oceans, national parks, mountains, and the most cultural diverse state as well, Calif will always outshine any other state period, all I read here is jelousy about this beautiful state,, next time please read up get the facts on it before you even intend to bash it.
Umm, I'm glad we (in NH) don't have CA's economy, our's is bad enough as it is. Also, I kinda like a good, cold day: At 20F, I can hike all day and stay perfectly dry. Never been able to do that in weather above that temp--either the snow is melting on my pants leg, or I get muddy 'cuz the ground is soft, or just plain perspiration. And let's not get started about the political differences...

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
john.jackson9213 said:
I DO get so tired of the California BASHING by ignorant folks, mostly from the South. It really is too bad that you do not realize just how vibrant and powerful the economy of California is. There are 6 or 7 countries in the world with a larger, more powerful economy than California. When it comes to cars, California has been the leader for decades.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, your politicians are much better than any of the leaders in my state.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
grizzlydiesel said:
sweet jebus.... cant we all just get along?????
in a perfect world, yes.

but since we live no where near perfect, we have walgreens.

i couldn't resist.

drivebiwire -- boise sounds nice, but Raleigh-Cary, NC (emphasis on the Cary) is the fastest growing city in the nation. the problem is that while we average a "20 minute" commute, we have no mass transit that will be needed. Despite the near 10% jobless rate in the state (mostly outisde our RTP/Raleigh/Cary/Durham bio-medical and IT base) we're still seeing extensive growth. Housing costs around the same, 250k or so is median pricing (my home was $55k.... before the housing crisis erupted), and the average income is around 55,000... plus we have 4 med schools, NC State Engineering, basically everyone has several degrees (and honestly it means nothing if you have no common sense or real world experience, ask me how i know!)

Congrats on the B20; we don't have that readily accessible, but we do have soy bio and waste bio available in many parts of the state. nowhere near the coverage i'd like.

also we're 3 hours from the prettiest beaches you've ever seen. 3 hours from skiing. 3 hours from deep sea fishing, less than 3 hours from fresh water fishing, camping and hiking. we have an ikea. we also have farms.

i like it here, even if i don't like some of the other residents, politicans, or drivers. :)

however if i wanted to move i'd give boise a consideration, then we could be neighbors -- wouldn't you just LOVE that! :D

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
whitedog said:
My state's better than your state, yeah, yeah, yeah... Blah, blah, blah.

Shall we move on now?
Not until we put out, for the record, that Oregon sucks horribly. Don't move here, anyone. We hate it. We hate the dreary weather and bass-ackward hicks, not to mention sky high property taxes, sky-high income tax.. Don't move here or you'll get a horrible case of Seasonal Depressive Disorder (SAD)--you don't want that, now do you?

Last edited:

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
aja8888 said:

No state income tax and you can carry a gun.....Doesn't get much better than this.;)
You forgot: Shiner Bock, 80 mph speed limits in spots, the death penalty, open container laws, Blue Bell ice cream, BioWillie, and the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
cptmox said:
You forgot: Shiner Bock, 80 mph speed limits in spots, the death penalty, open container laws, Blue Bell ice cream, BioWillie, and the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.
Thanks, I did slip up there, didn't I (sorry).......also, Nolan Ryan, Lone Star Beer, Feeder Roads (well kept secret), The Texas Rangers (not the baseball team), "Stick Your Stimulus Money Up Your @$$ - our Governer's message to Congress), FEMA who? we will do this ourselves faster and more efficiently (Hurricane Rita, Ike).

I know there is more......

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
seriously... lets make a campfire and roast marshmellows..... S'MORES for EVERYONE!!!!! :)

oh and for the record, i can carry a gun here in good ol VA, main diff is that i would get hassled for it, where in texas id get hassled if i DIDNT.

although i do recall someone saying something about texas a while back, something about steers.... something that rhymed, and a lack of horns.....

:) sorry, couldnt resist

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
kcfoxie said:
in a perfect world, yes.
having been to NC many times, why not just focus on all the smokin hot women, and well, not much else :)

I went down to a place (dont remember exactly where) in NC to pick up a load of parts for my camaro when i first bought it and was putting it together, and the girl at the counter, was cuter than a basket full of puppies to start, but when she told me her house had a barn, one side was for her horses, and the other side's stables were converted to garage spaces for her firebirds, yes plural, she had five, i about asked her to marry me.

I may be a Virginian, but ill always have a soft spot for a Carolina girl, especially if shes from the south western part of the state, and has that awesome accent :)

Status
Not open for further replies.