TDI
2005.5 jetta black
where is the babin filter located in the new jetta

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Next to the zabin filter?

Actually, I would guess it is the same place as on an A4 which is back left side (passenger side) of the engine compartment. It's sorta above and forward of the glove box. You simply remove the fasteners that hold the plastic covering to gain access to its compartment.

Not the most critical filter on the car by any means.

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
remove the plastic covering? inside the car or in the engine compartment. In both my WRX and Celica it was "behind" the glove box.

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
i thought I saw on the older models the filter was removed from the enghine compartment. And you guys know you can make a home made filter for like 3 bucks right?

GregoryB

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Grey, Package2, DSG, VAG-COM
OK, I'll bite - tell me about the $3.00 filter. I'm a dumb country boy so pictures would be nice.......... Really, I like pictures.

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
its really easy. I can post pics if you want. I don't know how the filter is constructed in the Jetta, but my WRX and Celica were the same so lets assume the Jetta is as well.

1) Go get the biggest and best furnance filter from your local store. (3M purple ones are really really good, around $15).
2) pull cabin filter out of car.
3) Put cabin filter on furnance filter and use scissors to cut the furnance filter to the correct size.
4) put new filter in car.
5) throw old filter out

If you do it right you can get 3-6 filters from one furnance filter. It works out to be around $3-5 per filter and the filters are usually better than the OEM filters (in my experience at least). I have been doing this for year and it has saved me a fair bit of money.

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
every 3-6 months. By the end of 6 months the filters were black and had some small leaves in them when i pulled them out.