Cabin Air won't Recirculate

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
When I push the recirculate button, the light comes on but the vents don't switch to recirculate. I found a good thread for the A3 but can't figure out how to fix it on my 02 Jetta. I don't know if this is related to the recirculation, but they passenger side upper vent has almost no flow. I had this issue once before, but the dealer fixed it under warrenty. They told me at the time that they replacen the entire vent system. I don't if that's correct, but it didn't cost me anything. Any help would be appreciated. I know it's the flap but I don't know where it's located or where the controler is.

Last edited:

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
rdean said:
When I push the recirculate button, the light comes on but the vents don't switch to recirculate. I found a good thread for the A3 but can't figure out how to fix it on my 02 Jetta. I don't know if this is related to the recirculation, but they passenger side upper vent has almost no flow. I had this issue once before, but the dealer fixed it under warrenty. They told me at the time that they replacen the entire vent system. I don't if that's correct, but it didn't cost me anything. Any help would be appreciated
System is not set on DEFROST is it?

Ben

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
rdean said:
(snip) I had this issue once before, but the dealer fixed it under warrenty. (snip)
__. An unfortunately frequent scenario ... "the dealer fixed it, now it's broken again and I have to pay to fix it". Too bad, we feel your pain, brother.

__. But, to get to your problem, if you don't have re-circ on, there's plenty of air out of the dash vents (when the rotary switch is in the dash setting)? Is there good airflow (when I say good, I mean reasonably good - it's never going to be like with the fan on) with re-circ off and no fan when you're driving at highway speeds? Does the defroster work well on both fan-on and fan-off at highway speeds (again, there will be a lot less airflow with the fan off but there should be a reasonable amount of airflow with no fan)?

__. Just guessing, it sounds as if the re-circ flap is either loose or not being actuated properly. But usually if it's loose (this is usually because a hinge pivot has broken, worn or come loose), the flap jams and won't release at all and that screws up both re-circ and outside air flow. I dunno if VW's use cables to pull that flap open and closed (some cars use air/vacuum) but whatever, it's a PITA to get to and fix. Since the flap seems to be moving (although it seems to be moving to an incorrect place), the linkage probably isn't loose entirely but there's something about the actuation of that re-circ flap that's wrong. Maybe it's adjusted wrong, maybe the linkage is partially loose, maybe it's the flap itself.

__. I just replaced the blower motor but I've never had to deal with this kind of problem on a VW. Maybe someone with experience can help you.

rdean

TDI
Doesn't anyone know what to check

I'm a little suprised that no one can give me any advice as where to look for the flap and how it is actuated. Help please.

jettaround

TDI
Silver 2001 Jetta TDI - Manual
I have the same problem as you described, pressing the recirc button on turns it’s light on but the airflow doesn’t increase as it used to. My car is a 2001 Jetta and our air flap / motor design should be the same. As opposed to the A3 model our system uses an electric motor similar to the ones found in Lego sets.

Here is a link to a diagram out on the internet; the item number 35 is the air flow flap motor.
http://www.avtoshop.net/vw.php?mdl=208&bildid=122000C8&grp=8&check=20

The part number on the actual assembly in my car is 1J0907511. In my case voltage going to the assembly would reverse polarity when I pressed the recirc button, and after taking apart the assembly I found the eclectic motor inside to be open / defective. There is also a mode switch inside the assembly that probably informs the ECM of it’s position.

So here is what you have to do.

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. This is always step 1 but I didn’t bother.
2. Remove the glove box.
3. Move the white insulation over to the left to expose the right side of the air duct assembly. You’ll have to cut the small white zip tie that attaches the upper right corner of the insulation to the round metal frame. The air flow flap motor is on the right of the blower motor and has a 3 wire plug connected to it.
4. Move the black styro-foam underneath to the left to expose the bottom of the air flow flap motor assembly.
5. Remove the gold screw that secures the air flow flap motor. This screw is upside down and can only be seen from the floor looking up. Remember the air flow flap motor is to the right of the blower motor.
6. Gently rock the air flow flap motor back and forth while pushing it towards the passenger door.

By now you should have removed the air flow flap motor. Remember exactly the lever / gear position so that you can set the new replacement part to the same position. So when you get the new part, first plug it into the wire harness, start the car, turn on recirc and quickly shut off the car when the gear is the correct position. If that doesn’t work you can open up the new part and turn the worm gear with your finger until the desired position is achieved.

I’m going to start looking for the replacement part, couldn’t locate any US sites on the internet so I’ll have to drag my piggy bank to the stealership tomorrow.

I’ll keep you posted how mine works out.

Tom,

rdean

TDI
Thanks! The only part of this process that is a pain is the "remove glove box" I started to do that last weekend and it is a VERY involved process. You have to remove the entire console just to get to ONE screw. You'd think with that kind of engineering that the car was made in Detroit!

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
rdean said:
Thanks! The only part of this process that is a pain is the "remove glove box" I started to do that last weekend and it is a VERY involved process. You have to remove the entire console just to get to ONE screw. You'd think with that kind of engineering that the car was made in Detroit!
__. Did you download the photo-process on "VWVortex"? It was a lifesaver when I did my blower motor a couple of weeks ago. It's 4 minutes to change the blower motor and resistor pack (the resistor pack plate holds the blower in) once the console is out -- but it's a good hour & 15 minutes to remove the console and reinstall it. On the other hand, it's a fairly simple, if "fiddly" and involved as you say, job and I expect that I could cut that time in half next time ... but I hope that there's no "next time"!

jettaround

TDI
Silver 2001 Jetta TDI - Manual
Problem Solved

Received the air flap motor assembly and installed it today. The fresh air flap is now opening and closing when the Recirc button is deactivated / activated.

I didn’t see any posting of this problem related to the A4 chassis, so this thread should help others in the future.

invest3

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002

TB

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2003 Jetta TDI and Silver 2001 TDI
Mine is stuck closed and I fog up like crazy. Can the flap be reached by taking out the filter. I just need to open it up till the weather warms up...