Cabin Air Filter Question

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Has anyone used the Hengst E900LB cabin air filter in a 2004/05 Jetta Wagon?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Imo, the cheapest you can get, do at every oil change.
Unless you just restraint up run a merv 13 it's all snake oil sales gimmicks to make you buy "better stuff" it's all really the same. Very little road dust and air debris is smaller than 40 to 60 micron. Thus merv 8 is all you need for outdoor normal air and any air filter you use is going to do the job.
Aka go cheap, replace very often

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Imo, the cheapest you can get, do at every oil change.
Unless you just restraint up run a merv 13 it's all snake oil sales gimmicks to make you buy "better stuff" it's all really the same. Very little road dust and air debris is smaller than 40 to 60 micron. Thus merv 8 is all you need for outdoor normal air and any air filter you use is going to do the job.
Aka go cheap, replace very often
For general purposes, I'd agree. However the cheap ones don't filter odors very well and I would prefer not to smell/breathe exhaust from cars running rich, dead skunks, etc. so I was wondering if these were better than the charcoal impregnated ones.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
For general purposes, I'd agree. However the cheap ones don't filter odors very well and I would prefer not to smell/breathe exhaust from cars running rich, dead skunks, etc. so I was wondering if these were better than the charcoal impregnated ones.
for the price, get some activated charcoal pads for aquariums and slip in in there, but i do agree that they work nicely, but only for a small time, like a few weeks MAX, that's my only gripe is that they clog up faster and last less with what they are supposed to do.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
also $35 bucks for a filter? JESUS man! im talking $5 a filter is still pricly to me seeing as it gets changed 4 to 6 times a year with normal commuting miles.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
also $35 bucks for a filter? JESUS man! im talking $5 a filter is still pricly to me seeing as it gets changed 4 to 6 times a year with normal commuting miles.
ID Parts has them 50% cheaper.

I have spring hay fever allergies also, so I'm going to try it and see if it helps.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
As an HVAC tech I recommend against filters that are to high a micron. They're too efficient and cause issues with airflow. This is especially true with building HVAC. Use what the system was designed for. The most common heat and AC call is solved with the correct air filter...

As mongler said, change them more frequently.

I do use the charcoal impregnated ones myself and don't run my AC a lot.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
AC will reduce the humidity, and I do use it for that. However, it is less humid and less hot here than Raleigh...

Filters won't help humidity whatsoever...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you want the LEAST restrictive filter possible, the cheap POS filters are actually the best, they let more then enough air past the coil to condense moisture out of the air.
Protip, if you drive your car close to or beyond 1 hour each way to work, (2 hours of run time 5 times a day, you want to chance the filter at LEAST once per month.
buy cheap bulk sets on ebay for $3 to $4 a pop, change them out every say 2 weeks. ESPECIALLY ion the summer. your AC, your Blower motor, and your wallet will thank you in the end.