CA Smog and Tune

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Can anyone in CA confirm that the smog techs are detecting tunes and failing cars with tunes (new smog law since July 2021)?

I'm just curious how they'd detect the tune if they were just looking for monitor readiness before.

YES, CA SUCKS AND YES, I AGREE WITH ALL YOUR NEGATIVE OPINIONS ABOUT CA. No need to post that here :)

Last edited:

mudduck

TDI
2003 Jetta, F250
In my experience that is not correct for ALH cars. I have been through 3 CA smog checks and my car has a tune and muffler removed. They check for any computer fault codes, look for Cat and EGR/EGR cooler. They also rev it up looking for excessive smoke but even tuned cars wont smoke if not under load.

I would not doubt that they check for tunes for the newer cars that were subject to VWdieselgate.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
In my experience that is not correct for ALH cars. I have been through 3 CA smog checks
Did your experience happen since the new Tune Hunting policy? If not, then I would assume they are checking for tunes on every OBD2 car and truck.

They have never cared about saving Mother Earth. They don't care if your tune is cleaner and gets 200mpg. If it isn't factory, or doesn't have a "carb" sticker that some company paid lots of extortion money to stick on their piece of pipe, then they will fail you.

mudduck

TDI
2003 Jetta, F250
Well hopefully you kept your tuner and can reset to stock program which is what I may have to do next time. I currently have to do this with my wife's F150 because although it is a CARB compliant unit smog shops don't want to deal with it and will just say it wont pass. Total BS but I can't blame them for not wanting to do the extra work to very the legality. However, since the software doesn't currently check for this I doubt it will get rewritten for 20 year old diesel cars. Hey but who knows CA does some dumb ass ****.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Man, I should have waited to buy my 2003 Wagon with a tune, bought it out of Cali, I bet some folks are going to be throwing in the towel and dumping their cars. Sorry for the off handed humor, I do feel bad for you guys.

James

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Haha. It's not hard to tune it back to stock. I am just more curious how they're detecting it

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
CA is the world's 5th largest economy. With that in mind, somebody is going to figure out how to defeat CA's technology and make a killing $$$. IMHO.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
CA is the world's 5th largest economy. With that in mind, somebody is going to figure out how to defeat CA's technology and make a killing $$$. IMHO.
I doubt anyone is going to invest the time/money/effort with EV replacing the ICE.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Back to the topic... does anyone have any insight or personal experience passing CA smog with a tune, AFTER the new law was implemented? Inquiring minds want to know.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Some places offer a free pre-smog to see if you'll pass. Maybe someone should try it out?

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Just got the renewal letter and need to smog. Anyone?? Before I go and buy a Flashzilla to go back to stock tune.

Edit: I just purchased the FlashZilla. Not willing to risk being red flagged in any way.

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Are you sure the Flashzilla will put you back to VW stock? This was close to ten years ago, but I recall that (on gassers, anyway) a chip company's “stock” program on selectable tunes was not actually the factory tune, as it's proprietary. It was a tune that produced stock power levels and curves, but not identical. I am thinking it’s possible that the checksum might be different.

Mountain TDI

TDI
2002 and 2003 Jettas and 2015 Passat 6M
Can anyone in CA confirm that the smog techs are detecting tunes and failing cars with tunes (new smog law since July 2021)?

I'm just curious how they'd detect the tune if they were just looking for monitor readiness before.

YES, CA SUCKS AND YES, I AGREE WITH ALL YOUR NEGATIVE OPINIONS ABOUT CA. No need to post that here :)
See the thread in the West Coast section; one guy (2002 NB) and Matts comments. If you are talking about your ALH appears you will be OK

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Are you sure the Flashzilla will put you back to VW stock? This was close to ten years ago, but I recall that (on gassers, anyway) a chip company's “stock” program on selectable tunes was not actually the factory tune, as it's proprietary. It was a tune that produced stock power levels and curves, but not identical. I am thinking it’s possible that the checksum might be different.
I hope it does. I had to download my stock program to send to Malone, and my stock program still exists on my Flashzilla so it should return to factory.

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
I refuse to play California's games any longer. But will not say anything further. But it's great to hear that people are having success with tuned vehicles..

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
So guess that means you're moving states then? Lol