BV43A install in my 2005 B5.5 BHW

77 K20

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg TDI LUX
How is the turbo doing? My Passat just started today with a very loud turbo whine. On the Audis I've had in the past that noise means a bad turbo.
Any boost spikes? Does the TDT stage 2 tuning work good with this turbo (as I have TDT stage 2 tuning also).
Did you have to make that IC adapter or did it come with it?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
You'll have to fabricate the boost hose. That's why I did the thread-to save others the same process I went through. All the pieces are Ebay. There are some other non Ebay sites if you want to pay double or triple. Quality seems fine.

Mine has a little whine at low RPM, low boost but quietens out with a little whistle at WOT. Basically what one would expect when you call up max boost in a big turbo. My old VA whined a lot worse under the same conditions.

Still highly recommend it although I got distracted by this sweet little 2dr 03 5sp Golf TDI I recently bought and haven't driven it much lately. It just got 42 MPG in town and is a blast to drive!

Last edited:

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Richard, you have the "standard" bv43a, which I modified for optimum durability and reliability. Will be good for approx 200 hp.

I also have (garrett) hybrids for these passats, up to 240-250hp.
Care to elaborate on what you've done to optimize these for durability and reliability?
Also, what compressor wheel, etc., do you use in the garrett hybrid offering?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Email Frans directly for details info@dutchautoparts.com .I almost went for the big Garrett hybrid he offers but am really happy with the BV43A (kkk). Unless you're prepared to upgrade those very expensive PD injectors/nozzles, stick with the BV43A.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Care to elaborate on what you've done to optimize these for durability and reliability?
Also, what compressor wheel, etc., do you use in the garrett hybrid offering?
If you find out please post up, I've been lurking a long time on this upgrade:)

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Come to WV and drive mine. That should make your decision a lot easier. I can elaborate on and on but your right foot will help make up your mind better than anything I can say.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I was in Charleston last may, if I get sent there in the future I may take you up on that. I know I'll love a stock BV43 I just want to hear about people's results on rebuilding the VNt turbos

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
If you find out please post up, I've been lurking a long time on this upgrade:)
same here...I've had my bv43 on the shelf for over two years now and I've finally decided it's the turbo that's going on my truck (1749va current) ....I may need to lower my gearing for help with spool time but it's something I had planned on doing anyway...I'll post up here and on my build thread when I get it sorted ;)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've reached out to a number of the European parts suppliers for one if these bv43 turbos, most of the used prices were around $700-$800. I reached out to one of our reputable USA tdiclub venders and he quoted me a price under $1,000 for a new bv43a oem turbo. They were interested to know if this was something others would be interested in, there had never been one of these purchased new in the USA thru their parts network so they were a little surprised by the request. I let them know that this was an afn/bhw upgrade.

The only draw back is the initial wait is close to 3 months.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Frans got mine in 2 weeks. Have you PMd him G60ING? Thought yours would be ravaging FL by now. I'd be careful before purchasing a new or stock used BV43A in the states. Frans is a good guy and I still maintain our European brothers have a big edge on small diesel engine turbos from their vast experience if not more. Frans told me the shaft needed modified for reliability which his have been done. I did take his word for it but on it goes (fast)! Hey Frans, kick backs are welcome!

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is the first I have heard of the bv43's shaft being weak,I had already contacted Fran's and Ryan for bv43s.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll take Frans' word for it. His mod is a longevity issue, not necessarily strength.You guys can debate him.
G60ING, is your turbo on the way from the Netherlands yet? The 'guinea pig' says go!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm in the middle of buying a house. Once that is finished I'll pull the trigger. I'm thinking I might get two and have one upgraded.

Since you say it has the same shaft as the kO4 then I think I know what he is doing to increase reliability, I seem to recall a plate that only has 270* of support or something like that on KO4s (i'm not a turbo geek) and now that we start talking about KO4 pieces I start thinking about ceramic bearing upgrades that I've heard about from gasser friends.

I'd be willing to ship Frans one for mods.

Here is my quick google results

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If he'll do your mods, have him laser balance it while it's over there. Also no turbo geek here. PM him.cheers

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks www.Boraparts.com for the NEW BV43

It was delayed on my part because the check was lost in the mail :(

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Let us know if you have any shaft issues. Frans uses a heavier,stronger shaft than stock in his rebuilds for longevity. Glad you finally pulled the trigger. Post up your install with photos and let us know if you deleted the egr cooler too(looks like the same giant vacuum cannister as mine). I'd prefer to get mine back on sometime. So far so good with mine although a little slow warming up. Try to get an EGT sensor on while you're in there with a McNally combo boost/egt gauge. I haven't yet and it's my next project.

Last edited:

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
On the BHWs, they have an EGT probe as stock.
Group 67 in VCDS, in Deg C.

My RC1+ ran to 876 Deg C under WOT, which is 1600 Deg F.
Sorry to interrupt the thread but I checked my VCDS and group 67 is blank with the GO button grayed out. Am I missing something? This is on my 2005 Passat TDI. Thanks.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wanted to update this thread to inform anyone who has done this mod that Mike at Tdtuning sent me an updated stage 2 file to address my post BV43A limp issues. The car was randomly going limp on hills. If anyone does the BV43A mod, I would recommend the Stage 2 tune he has me flashed at now. The car is better on low end power too. How's yours doing, G60ING?

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Are your limp problems gone now?

I thought mine went away with the new intercooler hose, but I've now seen 2 or 3 in the last 3000 miles or so.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are your limp problems gone now?

I thought mine went away with the new intercooler hose, but I've now seen 2 or 3 in the last 3000 miles or so.
So far no limp. If you're running the tdtuning stage 2, ask Mike to send you the the same version he sent me. He increased the N75 call for boost in the 2000-4000RPM range. My passat is really strong now and even has less turbo lag. If you haven't put the stage 2 in it, I highly recommend it to take advantage of the BVs potential. Too bad VW didn't put this turbo on from the factory unless maybe the European PD150 or 170 have them or similar. The lower compression BHW is such a great candidate for it. Why does Audi get all the good stuff?

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've got a Rocketchip stage 2.
Send me a log of 8 and 11 together and try to make it in the limp mode range. Mine was going limp up grades when I didn't hold constant throttle. Like pasing a truck when I needed extra power but not enough to force it to downshift. Or just massaging the throttle some for no reason. Sound familiar? I always get my tunes and load them myself these days so I don't have to send the ecu off. It's more expensive buying the q loader but worth it to me.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
Send me a log of 8 and 11 together and try to make it in the limp mode range. Mine was going limp up grades when I didn't hold constant throttle. Like pasing a truck when I needed extra power but not enough to force it to downshift. Or just massaging the throttle some for no reason. Sound familiar? I always get my tunes and load them myself these days so I don't have to send the ecu off. It's more expensive buying the q loader but worth it to me.

I'll see what I can do, but it may take a couple of weeks. I think I have a driver problem with my VCDS. It will not stay connected for more than a miute or two. I've got to get that figured out before I can take data logs. Plus I'll be on vacation all next week, with me in Mi and all the VWs at home in the driveway.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Yep, VCDS had USB driver issues in the 11.x release last year, they were unstable and comms would keep dropping out.
Release 12 rolled back to older USB drivers, so you need to REMOVE the 11 drivers and then install 12.

See here under Release Notes. I had the same issue earlier this year.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, VCDS had USB driver issues in the 11.x release last year, they were unstable and comms would keep dropping out.
Release 12 rolled back to older USB drivers, so you need to REMOVE the 11 drivers and then install 12.

See here under Release Notes. I had the same issue earlier this year.
Thanks Charlie. I'll try that. It did seem to start acting up after a version upgrade.