BV43A install in my 2005 B5.5 BHW

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I got my turbo from Frans this week so will be posting the install with photos. As always, suggestions and questions will be welcome:D
Will be starting with the factory turbo removed,intake cleaned,a Tdtuning stage 2 chip, and stock automatic tranny. Will be also posting block 11 logs to report on the performance afterwards and reliability reports after some miles. Here goes....

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Any pics of the turbo? What part number did it have?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
The install went nicely. The car is a beast now. I wish I had a chassis dyno but I'd guess by the feel, close to 180 hp with my stage 2 tune. Not bad for a PD 130. The only IC circuit adapter required is the outlet pipe to the CO pipe connector as you can see in this photo. I used T-bolt clamps made for turbo IC piping adapter. Don't try worm gear hose clamps:

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The beauty of this install that allowed the simple outlet pipe in the last post is that the compressor housing will rotate 360 so you can aim the outlet straight at the CO pipe connection and connect like this photo. I did grind the two pins down on the connection so they wouldn't interfere with the silicone hose. Here's the photo of that connection:

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You must eliminate your egr with blockoff plates. The vacuum cannister is just too tall and the cooler won't even come close to fitting. My stage 2 tune eliminates it so block off plates to the rescue and no more EGR monstrosity (boo hoo). If you live in a sniffer state, you'll have to figure this one out. Frans may be
able to help us out with a smaller actuator. This one has the electrical connection which our GT1749VA did not.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The intake hose requires no modding and you just clamp the factory hose to the inlet. The two mounting screws on the factory turbo aren't necessary. Just use your worm gear clamp you removed when you did your removal.

In summation, a pretty simple install. Everything available on ebay.

I didn't take a photo of the turbo, G60ing, but I can tell you it's a kkk probably off an A3/A4 Audi. Frans is a real professional and even sent me a graph of the high speed balancing readout. It's really amazing how under-turbo'd our BHWs are. The GT1749VA is nothing more than a VNT-15. The BV43A is a true VNT 17-22. I see why the A4 guys like them so much!

Frans, if you're following this thread, maybe you can tell us a way arround the EGR cooler interference.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's a photo Frans sent me with the 1749va on the right. This hybrid I bought from Frans has a 52mm compressor wheel, VB turbine, and VNT 17-22 internals. He also modifies the axle for longevity.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've been reviewing the bv43 for a long time and I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one. I know I won't go to the track without one, my EGTs are too high with the VA. Please keep us updated on your thoughts.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From what I've seen of Frans' products and his support, go for it. Like I said, the VA is just a VNT-15. No mods whatsoever for the stock airbox and hose. Just make sure you have clean oil and fresh air and oil filters. I'll be doing some logs and may be doing some other tweaks but for now, I'm smilin' and drivin'. Now I want a big turbo for my newly acquired A4 Golf but with 207k, I'm thinking of leaving it stock with a Malone stage 1 and .658 5th.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey hardtail rider, can you post some links and prices. So you're using the stock air box?

Oh man I just read about you're fiasco http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=389422&page=3
Look up Dutch Auto Parts on the web. PM Frans too. He's a registered vendor on the site. His prices are subject to Euro exchange rates and they are favorable right now so don't wait too long. He has 3 hybrids for the BHW. Mine is the mildest if you call 180 hp mild. He has one with a 56 mm compressor if you're looking for big HP. Mine's a daily so not. BTW,mine's a softail custom-too old for hardtails.

Last edited:

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
Thanks PM'ed him, mines a daily too. I'm trying to hold onto the slush box and stock IC so I can't go crazy. But the combo of TDTuning stage2 that turbo and maybe bigger injectors, then a little more work from mike's software could be a very nice package. I like sprockets ride but would rather put the $ toward a Porsche ;)

LOL thought the bike was a 50 :D

Look up Dutch Auto Parts on the web. PM Frans too. He's a registered vendor on the site. His prices are subject to Euro exchange rates and they are favorable right now so don't wait too long. He has 3 hybrids for the BHW. Mine is the mildest if you call 180 hp mild. He has one with a 56 mm compressor if you're looking for big HP. Mine's a daily so not. BTW,mine's a softail custom-too old for hardtails.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ha ha. 50 used to be my age. I wouldn't even mess with injectors at first. From what I've seen, the stock ones are sufficient unless you're determined to cross the 200 HP threshold. With a slushbox, I wouldn't recommend that. What are
EGTs abctdi? I'm not huge on abbreviations and acronyms. Will do logs soon but just enjoying it now and seeing if everything holds together in the boost circuit,etc..

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
Yeah me too. Exhaust Gas Temperatures, the stuff that likes to melt pistons:eek:
I think you need a separate pyrometer for EGT reading. I'm sure someone will chime in. Shoot some video if you got the time and the equipment. Would love to see a run or two with that set-up.
Ha ha. 50 used to be my age

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Often times higher boost leads to higher EGT, but if the turbo is bigger this may not be the case. Knowing both and their limits is a good idea for longevity.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm curious why he downgraded your turbine wheel from one that is rated at 170hp to one that is rated at 150hp.

The stock BV43A pumps out 26psi happily with EGTs in check.

High boost does not equal high EGT. Pushing the capabilities of the turbo does. There is a Compound B4 wagon on here running 50psi and he has a hard time breaking 1000F EGT.

Do you have any more pictures of this turbo?

Jon

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
On the BHWs, they have an EGT probe as stock.
Group 67 in VCDS, in Deg C.

My RC1+ ran to 876 Deg C under WOT, which is 1600 Deg F.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I should do a WOT log ASAP to see how high they are. Does anyone have any data on the limit the BHW pistons can take and for how long?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
pistons won't be the limiting factor, your turbine will melt before the pistons do.

Your turbine is rated at 1650F, the BV43A turbine is rated at 2000F

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm curious why he downgraded your turbine wheel from one that is rated at 170hp to one that is rated at 150hp.

The stock BV43A pumps out 26psi happily with EGTs in check.

High boost does not equal high EGT. Pushing the capabilities of the turbo does. There is a Compound B4 wagon on here running 50psi and he has a hard time breaking 1000F EGT.

Do you have any more pictures of this turbo?

Jon
NO more photos. I'm sure Frans would furnish some if you asked him. The turbine side is fat and beefy too compared to the VA. I assume you mention the 150 hp fom the vb turbine wheel? I got the mildest hybrid he offered because of stock injectors and slushbox. I'd love to get this car on a chassis dyno. I'm sure with the stage 2 tune it's easily pushing out 180hp. Also no more whining, just normal sweet sounding turbo boost (whooswh and scream at WOT)!

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
pistons won't be the limiting factor, your turbine will melt before the pistons do.

Your turbine is rated at 1650F, the BV43A turbine is rated at 2000F
So as long as my EGT is <1650F, no worries for pistons or turbo?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As long as you have a good tune and your injectors aren't streaming - yup!
Injectors streaming? You guys are killing me with acronyms. I assume streaming means too much fuel from bad injectors,tune or what? This would translate to high EGT?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
streaming isn't an acronym, its what you do when you go to the bathroom, lol

You'll be fine, drive more worry less.

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
Richard, you have the "standard" bv43a, which I modified for optimum durability and reliability. Will be good for approx 200 hp.

I also have (garrett) hybrids for these passats, up to 240-250hp.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Frans,
Your turbo is awesome

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Is there a way to tap into the probe wiring to install an EGT gauge?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
absolutely do not tap into that wire, do not cut or splice. -ETA- thermocouple wires - look it up :)

You'll have to install a separate probe.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Is there an "easy" spot to insert a probe?

absolutely do not tap into that wire, do not cut or splice. -ETA- thermocouple wires - look it up :)

You'll have to install a separate probe.