BV43A chra into BV43

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Just buy a genuine used bv43a turbo, they are cheap... Yellow tag is what you want... That one you've linked in the post looks like it has a cast compressor wheel, the genuine bv43a has a 6+ 6 blade billet alloy compressor wheel...you want the whole turbo as the actuator swaps with the housings- saves messing about with adjusting actuators...

Mikey-s

TDI
1998 A4 1.9tdi quattro
It was one of your posts that got me thinking of the BV43A chra. The BV43A has a different compressor outlet, or at least I think it does, plus I already have the BV43. I think that photo is just generic, I'm more after the part number confirmation. Thanks for your help.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
It was one of your posts that got me thinking of the BV43A chra. The BV43A has a different compressor outlet, or at least I think it does, plus I already have the BV43. I think that photo is just generic, I'm more after the part number confirmation. Thanks for your help.
Yep, just as i mentioned in that post, you take the PD turbo and swap in the whole cartridge from CR turbo into the pd housings...didnt i make that clear enough ? I would be very surprised i the Mellet Chra does have billet compressor on it, they build replacements so not necessarily buy replacement parts from Borg Warner/KKK ! From actual experience, mellet pictures on ebay are actual pics for the items they sell so returns are minimal !

Mikey-s

TDI
1998 A4 1.9tdi quattro
Found this pic from another Melett dealer which shows a billet impeller.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Then it looks like the right part ! I was stressing on using genuine due to the fact that you dont need to adjust the actuator with another turbo as its bolted to the chra vnt arm...

Mikey-s

TDI
1998 A4 1.9tdi quattro
Turborebuild.co.uk who are a Melett dealer are fairly close to home, I'll give them a call later to confirm this has the billet wheel.

Mikey-s

TDI
1998 A4 1.9tdi quattro
So it's confirmed the Melett BV43A chra does have the billet wheel, see the quote from Turborebuild.co.uk. I'll get my turbo over to them to see if they can fit one and setup the stop screw and actuator.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
The genuine kkk bv43a chra fits into bv43 housings without fouling on the housings- i have used quite a few along the years...

Mikey-s

TDI
1998 A4 1.9tdi quattro
I spoke to TurboRebuilds in Blackpool, they said they were uncertain of it but would measure it all up if I took my turbo in. Then lockdown happened.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Any updates? I have a bv43-109 turbo wondering if the cartridge swap is worth the money?
Buy the whole bv43a turbo, they are cheap 2nd hand and Swap everything From one to the other...its worth-it, the Bv43 has a cast 5+5 blade compressor wheel and the bv43a has a 6+6 blade billet compressor wheel with extended tip technology! Turbine is also a 9 blade Jobbie on the Bv43a compared with 11 blades on the Bv43 from the pd engine !

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the bv43a have the wrong flange pattern to fit afn/bhw manifold?... i have a pd170 bv43 on my tdi swapped tacoma and i've purchased the bv43a mellet chra with billet 6x6 wheel...haven't swapped it in yet but looking forward to the faster boost.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Buy the whole bv43a turbo, they are cheap 2nd hand and Swap everything From one to the other...its worth-it, the Bv43 has a cast 5+5 blade compressor wheel and the bv43a has a 6+6 blade billet compressor wheel with extended tip technology! Turbine is also a 9 blade Jobbie on the Bv43a compared with 11 blades on the Bv43 from the pd engine !

I have the 5+5 turbo can I swap over the intake and exhaust housings from that unit onto the 6+6 cartridge?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the 5+5 turbo can I swap over the intake and exhaust housings from that unit onto the 6+6 cartridge?
Yes, that's one way to do it however I would buy the whole turbo as its inexpensive and you don't need to worry about adjusting the VNT mechanism/actuator. The CR cartridge fits inside the PD housings and the actuator swaps over with the chra.

Jimbote, yes CR flanges are different and slightly angled compared with the PD turbo...I would use the cr hot side from a tuning point of view as the spacing is different and lets you go with a larger exhaust pipe if you wish although the pd hot side is plug and play on the cr chra...

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I spoke to TurboRebuilds in Blackpool, they said they were uncertain of it but would measure it all up if I took my turbo in. Then lockdown happened.
Any updates on this. I'm wondering if you changed cartridge's, what one you used, and how it has performed and held up?

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Any updates on this. I'm wondering if you changed cartridge's, what one you used, and how it has performed and held up?
what are you waiting for? I have tuned few cars with this combination (both were 1.9PD AVF), they bought new cartrigde for BV43a and installed them in used BV43 housings. end of story. Go fo it. It's the best plug and play upgrade that you can do.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
what are you waiting for? I have tuned few cars with this combination (both were 1.9PD AVF), they bought new cartrigde for BV43a and installed them in used BV43 housings. end of story. Go fo it. It's the best plug and play upgrade that you can do.
Heard a bad review from the only person I know that used a Mellit cartridge

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Heard a bad review from the only person I know that used a Mellit cartridge
Then get a used BV43A. I know a guy who installed Mellet in gt1749VA and it's ok...
Regarding the swaps I told you, one was with QWP CHRA, one with Mellet and one with OE bv43A.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Does anyone know the proper KKK genuine part number for the BV43a CHRA and a suitable distributor that can get the cartridge into the USA? Scoured the internet and cannot find a part number. Shipping a euro turbo across the ocean is not cheap so I’d rather do it once rather than twice.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Get a genuine bv43a from eBay uk if posssible tren have the whole chra swapped over from cr to pd turbo…soak the bolts in wd40 or similar penetrating oil as the bolts like to break on high mileage turbos and maybe have a gas torch to heat the turbo with (one of them portable plumbers torch is good as long as it has a mapp gas bottle and fits trough the exhaust hole ) to ease pulling the cartridge out of the housings.