Bv43 on an ALH?

Gvr

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Alh Golf Mk4 Wagon
I bought a bv43 from an audi BRD (pd170) and an AFN exhaust manifold, thinking that it would be p&p on the ALH. Apparently it's only p&p on longitudinal engines, the AFN manifold points somewhat to the firewall, so the oil feed/return lines and downpipe don't fit ( the turbo is clocked away from them and they do not reach ).
In a thread it said that the AHU/1Z exhaust manifold points downwards.
My intuition says that fitting the bv43 to the AHU/1Z manifold would solve the problem and turbo would sit correctly. Does anyone know if it works?

Gvr

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Alh Golf Mk4 Wagon
Didn't try it...and isn't just the cold side reclockable? Even so, the oil feed would need replacing, that's if the oil return reaches the block.

Gvr

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Alh Golf Mk4 Wagon
It seems to me that the AFN manifold puts the turbo too far from the block. I'm trying to source a 1z/AHU manifold and will try anyways, unless someone tells me it's not possible..

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Didn't try it...and isn't just the cold side reclockable? Even so, the oil feed would need replacing, that's if the oil return reaches the block.
You are correct. I forget VW casts the hot side as part of the exhaust mani.

Gvr

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Alh Golf Mk4 Wagon
I find it weird that there is virtually no info about this swap on the transversal 1.9 tdi's..

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
You are correct. I forget VW casts the hot side as part of the exhaust mani.
And the VNT mechanism is pinned to the CHRA...no clocking the exhaust...unless you go exactly 1/number of VNT notches in the ring( I think ). Not exactly simple/precise.

Douglas

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I find it weird that there is virtually no info about this swap on the transversal 1.9 tdi's..
I think it's maybe because people tend to go the route of the Garret, VA and VB units off the pd130 and 150's.

Gvr

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Alh Golf Mk4 Wagon
Yes, but the bv43 can be pushed a little bit more and be upgraded to a CR chra, which holds much better than a 1749vb...going to try my luck with a 1z/AHU manifold anyways.

Gvr

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Alh Golf Mk4 Wagon
I managed to get my hands on a 1z manifold, but it does need an adapter plate. The triangle where the turbo fits makes the turbo "twist" a few degrees. I will follow up with more details and pictures .

Gvr

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Alh Golf Mk4 Wagon

Here is the difference between the two exhaust manifolds.
You can see that the 1z "triangle" (where turbo sits) is clocked a few degrees in comparison to the AFN one. ( AFN makes the turbo sit in a natural position, like the gt1749v from the ALH).

This is how the BV43 sits on the 1z manifold. You can clearly see it is twisted on the manifold.

To solve this problem, an adaptor was made. This puts the turbo in the natural position.

However, this swap is not p&p. Oil feed and return lines don't really line up, I had to twist them up a bit. Don't do that, I'll get new lines asap.
The stock ALH turbo->intercooler air hose doesn't really reach either, I struggled a lot to plug it in. Also, the cold side air exit from the BV43 is a bit wider, so I struggled to fit that aswell.
Furthermore, the downpipe/flexpipe sits weird too, so it has to be modified.
The only things that fits no problem is airbox->turbo piping.
Will come back with impressions soon...still need to tidy some things up.
Gvr

Last edited: