Buzzken exhaust hitting heat shield

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I just installed a new vnt17 and Buzzken 2.5" down pipe fitted to the stock cat back. When I installed the dp it was touching the heat shield just above it. I pushed the shield up a little bit until it was not touching, but at idle it still hits it and is vibrating/rattling like mad. Has anyone else had this issue? I tried to search for this and came up empty. It is the flex pipe portion of the dp that is hitting. Are my motor mounts or something shot? Maybe the engine is sitting in the bay a little sideways?

I need to wait for it to cool a bit more before I can start messing with it again. Hoping for some ideas to look at in the meantime.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I found that the down pipe does not seem to be sitting down the hump straight. Where the dp and cat back meet up the hanger is pushed off to the passenger side real hard. This is where the rattle is coming from. I am able to easily push the exhaust this direction and make it hit.

Also the dp hanger does not look like it is sitting correct either. I am not sure why this is happening.

Anyone able to give advice as to why this is like that?

I would also like to state that I have contacted Ken and he has informed me this should not be hitting. He says he does not even have issues with his 3" dp. I am assuming I have something else going on, but I do not know what.

Last edited:

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
Looks like it's jacked up from one side? Or something ?
Cheers
Car should be level from side to side. The way it's jacked up I think you are not getting an accurate idea of what is happening ?
My thoughts.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
My buzzken exhaust didn't fit as well as i would have liked either. I've had a 3" kit from kerma and a 3" kit from buzzken, kerma definitely fit better. I had the same issue with the dp hangers. The heat shield has these weird circular retainers that slide onto threaded studs, sometimes they work loose and make the heat shield fall onto the exhaust just a bit, and it sounds AWFUL! I am not ragging on the man either, you can see the quality in his work, i just know my fit wasn't 100%.

whopper

TDI
2010 Golf Deletes and Malone tune , 2015 GSW TDI
I have left buzzken emails and voicemails with regards to reinstalling my OEM exhaust on my 2010 TDI that is going back to VW but I have not heard back? He did the Malone tune and delete 2 yr ago. Is he doing work anymore?