Buying & Selling TDIs? Read this first!!

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual
Keep in mind a very low % of TDI owners come here! and an even lower % of those who sign up here! ever post....
Yes, understood, and thanks for the thought. But if I am going to invest in a cool, nice, B5 TDI, a model that to me is the form factor I want, but has issues that need to be addressed, I can take my time and do it right by either finding the right educated seller, or educating the one I found, using the help here. :D

emscar

Veteran Member
TDI
`00 Golf, auto trans
1 yr member and i just read it. My thanks to the author. It will be of value since i have an `00 alh-a4 i`m putting up for sale.

truckerjeff

TDI
2004 Golf 2005 Jetta both TDI
2005 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI for sale

I will be picking up a 2005 Jetta 1.9 Tdi tomorrow afternoon. I need the turbo out of this vehicle for my 04 Golf. thats it! The jetta was involved in a crash and is total'd front end damage! Anyone interristed give me a call. I live in a suburb of Milwaukee WI. 262-707-9233 Jeff

3 Diesels

TDI
09 Jetta TDI with Performance Chip 284,000 miles, 05 Passat TDI with Race Injectors & Performance Chip 302,000 miles& GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel 4x4 3/4 ton 179,000 miles, 2015 Passat TDI SE w Roof, no Nav, 6 speed.
Thanks this is a great post full of info! Craigs list gets tire kickers as well and is a good source as I purchased a 09 Jetta TDI with 234k on it for $3,200 because the engine light was on for emissions. Fixed the car and still got a good deal.

bbalenger

TDI
Jetta
need help

I am a newbie, though my last 2 cars were Jetta TDIs. I need advice from experts.

I had a front end accident in my TDI, with considerable damage cosmetically and mechanically. The dealer that the insurance company towed it to fixed it, but when I tried to drive it away it overheated and stopped dead within 5 miles, twice, and had to be towed back to the shop. They repaired it twice, both fuel injectors (#2 and #3). In the meantime, I left the country for 5 months to live in Maldives to help them set up a national rowing program. The car sat unused while I was gone. When I returned, it overheated randomly. The insurance company (Geico) refused to pay for any additional fixes as they said it had nothing to do with the accident. I had a local mechanic try to diagnose the problem (for $2300) and then tell me to sell it because he couldn't figure it out. A family mechanic thought that when the dealer replaced the radiator they put the wrong coolant in and gummed up the radiator. That was never proved or disproven. This poor car has been sitting in my driveway for the past year. What should I do?

The details:
2010 Jetta TDI sedan, manual 6 speed
114,578 miles
Loan - now paid off.

The first local mechanic replaced the following:
Roller
Timing belt
tensioner
Thermostat Assembly
Drive Belt
Water Pump

He also thought the heater core was clogged. He used a chemical tester to check for combustion chamber gases in the cooling system and got a slight positive response showing the likely head gasket problem. He flushed the heater core but "it still has some restriction."

The question - should I fix it? Sell it? What is it worth?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Brenda (sadly driving my Dad's Ford Freestyle)

dcjkrueger

Veteran Member
TDI
My son was in an accident in a VW Jetta TDI, 2001. He is fine, but a certain auto insurance company says he is 40 % responsible, even tho other driver made a left turn in front of him. Other driver sited by police. Only 110,000 miles. Any way to get a true blue book on this ? The insurance companies are brutal. Should have followed my gut feeling and got an attorney.

Tmooney

TDI
VW passat and bug
1996 VW Passat forsale

We have a 1996 diesel Passat forsale. We have owned it since April 2014. Bought it on Craigslist and then put in $1200 worth of work which included replacing all brake lines with cupro-nickel alloy corrosion proof line, rear brake hoses and e-brake cable, replaced both side rear wheel bearings,CV joints, PCV breather hose, new battery terminals, etc. The car runs well and has been my son's daily school commuter. Just recently, it developed a leak in the lower radiator hose (hard to find) and reverse gear is almost gone. Since we don't work on the car ourselves it is too costly for us to pay for these repairs at a garage at this point. So thought it should go to someone who likes to tinker with these fuel efficient gems. The car has 196,000 miles and gets over 40 mpg. We bought it when my son thought he was going to convert it to veggie oil, so we even have a separate new fuel tank (with about 100 gallons of veggie oil filtered to 100 microns) if someone was interested in that project. The car has a 5 speed standard transmission with leather interior, no rips or tears. We are looking to get $1000 for the car.

Last edited:

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
WTB Jetta Wagon - Maryland

OK, I read through everything, and I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll be hunting a unicorn!

I'm looking to acquire my first TDI. At this point, I'm leaning heavily towards a Jetta Wagon with a stick shift. The current diesel scandal has be nervous about future modifications, so I'm thinking 2006-2008. I'm being told by many people that mid-40s mpg is very attainable with that configuration.

So, who knows of one for sale that's in good condition on the east coast?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
OK, I read through everything, and I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll be hunting a unicorn!

I'm looking to acquire my first TDI. At this point, I'm leaning heavily towards a Jetta Wagon with a stick shift. The current diesel scandal has be nervous about future modifications, so I'm thinking 2006-2008. I'm being told by many people that mid-40s mpg is very attainable with that configuration.

So, who knows of one for sale that's in good condition on the east coast?
there are no 2006-2008 Jetta Wagens in TDI A4 Model ended with 2005 hard to find any of those and the will have High miles and be Expensive!.....there was 2004.5-2005 Passat Wagens in TDI don't buy one of them useless all the Fixes have been applied.....
2009-2014 are affected Models and 2015 Golf wagen is affected also

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
there are no 2006-2008 Jetta Wagens in TDI A4 Model ended with 2005 hard to find any of those and the will have High miles and be Expensive!.....there was 2004.5-2005 Passat Wagens in TDI don't buy one of them useless all the Fixes have been applied.....
2009-2014 are affected Models and 2015 Golf wagen is affected also
OK, so I either take the gamble on a 2009 Jetta Wagen or go for a slightly older Golf.

Which one is going to fit a 6'6" guy easily?

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I'm 6'3" and fit into a golf with room to spare, granted I'm not exactly a "hearty" guy.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I would love to, but the goal is mileage, reasonable space, and utility.
I've tried a neighbor's 2011 Jetta Sportwagen. Such a sweet ride! But it's very tight for someone my size. Literally, I'd say an Ace Bandage may be a looser fit.

Apparently, Passat TDI wagons are akin to unicorns. Nobody has one within 200 miles. But the Passat is a size up, which means my knees don't touch the dash. I'm willing to drive for one, if it's reasonable and reliable.

But is an 02-05 Golf TDI any roomier than a Jetta? If I understand the chatter on here correctly, it's more reliable than a Passat, and available with a stick. Both are bonus for me.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
This is my first day

But....do you honestly believe the Newbie........is going to read this????
I have my doubts........
...and I am happy to say I read it.I particularly liked to advice about NOT exspecting TOP PRICE selling it here on the TDICLUB. And the suggestion to make a donation

Monroe

TDI
what should a 2002 vw jetta tdi with 125,000 miles,5spd,timming belt,water pump [has ben changed],black with tan leather heated seats,steering wheel controls and comes from Florida car is straight a real beauty.

BioDieselSurfer

TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI For Sale in Honolulu, HI

2002 VW Golf GLS TDI diesel hatchback with 96,000 miles.
Save money with a fuel-efficient car that runs on regular diesel, or biodiesel.
The car is exceptionally clean and well-maintained. I just had it professionally detailed.
Monsoon Premium Audio sound system
Michelin Pilot Exalto tires
A clean title
Registration and safety are good through May 2017
I am the second owner, meticulously maintaining the car for 7 years with all service records. Some recent repairs that help to make this car a tremendous value:
new timing belt - 2015
new starter - 2013
new EGR valve - 2016
new headliner - 2015
I always used fully synthetic oil (Rotella) for regular oil changes. I also changed the fuel filter frequently.
I intended to keep the car indefinitely because of the TDI reputation for longevity. But when the AC went out recently, I opted to get a larger car for transporting the family instead.
Let my diligence with the maintenance of this sporty hatchback be your gain.
Price is $3500, which is $1400 below Blue Book. That was the amount of a verbal estimate for the AC repair (evaporator).
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/5646563898.html

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
I would go for a 10up....some things changed between 2009-2010 for the better
Can you be specific as I am trying to decide between a Passat and a Jetta TDI.

Thanks Tomo for a great thread!!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Can you be specific as I am trying to decide between a Passat and a Jetta TDI.

Thanks Tomo for a great thread!!
Not my Thread I just inserted timely comments.....I dont keep my Cars for that long but I read a lot and have had nearly one of each type of TDI
The 2012-2014 Passat TDI has the Gen 2 2.0 common rail engine and an SCR system already installed and will be an easier Car to emission fix.....the 2009-2014 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle has the Gen 1 Common rail motor and will be the hardest if not impossible Emission fix.....if you are to buy a Jetta, Passat, Golf or New Beetle ! I would buy a 2015 with the Generation 3 2.0 LTR diesel with a EA288 motor if you can find one...has SCR and latest updates....

netjustin

TDI
_'04 TDI Jetta 5MT ____`10 TDI Jetta 6MT RIP ____`03 TDI Jetta AT _ RIP
yep, this vw tdi buyback thing has me a bit scared. If I sell mine and vw makes no more tdi's the old ones are gonna get expensive. They are great little cars
You certainly have seen this already, but VW announced they will no longer sell diesels in the US. Your concern is a reality. I wonder if the other diesel sedan makers, in particular Chevrolet who makes a diesel Cruze, are going to see the demand for turbo diesel commuter cars, and perhaps try to fill a part of the vacuum left by the departure of VW TDIs from the US market.

Things that the TDI covered, but the Cruze doesn't yet:
  • independent rear suspension
  • back seat leg room
  • manual transmission
  • not gutless
  • vibrant aftermarket support for the DIY'er

The question remains, are there alternatives, perhaps from BMW or Mercedes Benz, that are affordable enough to be an extended life fuel-economic car that doesn't break the bank and doesn't suck?

The fuel economic 1.4L gas Cruze, compared to any TDI, may not have enough power to satisfy current TDI owners, let alone offer light towing duties provided by any TDI.

It would be interesting to hear a diesel Cruze owner chime in, with respect to whether the diesel Cruze fills some of the vacuum left by the departure of VW from the US diesel commuter car market.

Last edited:

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Quick question that doesn't appear to be answered in any of the sticky posts in this cars for sale section of the forum: Can I advertise two cars for sale as a package? Both mine for a long time, I'm moving on... Thanks!