Buying a TDI in Canada and registering/driving it in Michigan

Erdrick

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I am looking at buying a TDI in Canada and registering it for use here in Michigan.

I have scoured the boards and google to find information that would explain the process for importing a car into America, but to no avail. There was lots of info for importing INTO Canada though...

Does anyone know the steps, fees, and possible problems that one might encounter trying to import a car (Volkswagen Jetta TDI) into Michigan from Canada? Any details and hints would be greatly appreciated. I also plan on talking to the Secretary of State this weekend.

On a related note, I am looking for a guru in the Toronto area... anyone know of a good/reliable one? I got burned on an auction buy (my mistake 100%) before, so this time I am going to go over the car with a FINE TOOTHED COMB before making the purchase.

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
When you find a car that you are interested in, post some details in the Ontario section. There are a few people that would be more than willing to have a look at it for you.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Please don't take this a golden advice, but I do know of several people who brought over cars from canada and registered them here without issue. It always surprised me...

Insurance might be a problem. Be sure to give the VIN to your provider and double check that they'll cover you.

-Jason

Erdrick

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Marchmen said:
When you find a car that you are interested in, post some details in the Ontario section. There are a few people that would be more than willing to have a look at it for you.
The thing that worries me is that someone might SNATCH UP the car if they fall in love with it themself! I have a couple that I am currently looking at, and am confirming preliminary details on. I will take your advice and post in the Ontario section if and when I decide to further investigate. Thanks.

Erdrick

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
compu_85 said:
Please don't take this a golden advice, but I do know of several people who brought over cars from canada and registered them here without issue. It always surprised me...

Insurance might be a problem. Be sure to give the VIN to your provider and double check that they'll cover you.

-Jason
Thanks. I will definitely look into the insurance coverage bit before taking the plunge.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Check posts by bigwoode. He was able to get a letter of conformity from VW Canada. That is what you'll need in order to cross the border and jump through the EPA and DOT hoops.

You'll need to do homework before, and it will all take a bit of time and cooperation from the seller, but apparently it can be done.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
A while back I bought a 1996 Golf CL... 1.8l, no airbags, no ac. No way it would pass DOT... there was no passive safety. Yet it had a Michigan plate on it when I got it :eek:

-J

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
I've imported two cars and plan to do another soon

I've imported 2 Toyotas from Windsor to Detroit and will be bringing across a BMW soon. There are some hoops to jump through but it is doable. I had to get manufacturers letters on both cars that I brought across that showed they met EPA/DOT reqs. One car they charged me duty and the other they did not even though both cars were Toyotas made in Japan, typical customs bs. Good luck and pm me if you have specific questions.